• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

yerba mate as maoi?

kayenta

Bluelighter
I've been drinking a lot of yerba mate tea lately and then I found out that it is an maoi.

Is this something to be at all worried about? I'm planning to take methylone tomorrow.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
If you stop drinking it for a day or more it shouldn't be a problem.
It seems that mate has a relatively low levels of MAOIs, the effects are pretty weak in fact.

Just wait a day or 2 and you should be fine.

Ok thanks navarone, I think I'll give it another couple of days just to be on the safe side.

Looks like I'll have to cut this stuff from my diet completely, which is a shame as it's incredibly nice.

Quite a doubtful claim... :\

The only (!) reference which I could find that backs up this presumable MAO-inhibition is a patent (US 2002 054926 A1). But that one contains just pointless diagrams and very widely phrased descriptions of the activity.

Sounds like bullshit to me, unless somebody can cite a peer-review journal or a similarly reputable source.

- Murphy

Let us know how it goes, maybe we could deduce something about yerba mate's MAOI activity out of your experience.
BTW have you done methylone before (while not on mate or other substances)?

lol.

Every time I try to find a source, it is that patent. Five thousand vendors all cite the fucking patent. Is this not illegal?

Somebody with cred over there should nominate that section of the Wikipedia article for deletion.

If yerba maté would possess reasonable MAOI-activity, there had to be thousands of cases with severe intoxication. Yerba maté is regularly consumed by millions of people in South America and a significant portion of these folks takes pharmaceuticals just because they get ill. This would call for major desaster...which obviously isn't happening.

The respective patent is blatant bullshit. Period.

- Murphy

^^^
agreed i have consumed large amounts of yerba mate almost daily over the last four years, and i have used mate in conjunction with a plethora of psychostimulants without any potentiation (except for the additive effect of the various xanthine alkaloids)

Not to highjack the thread, but many yerba drinkers say they find it stimulating and calming at the same time without the jitteriness of coffee. I know the major ingredient is caffeine, but is there a second compound in yerba mate known to have another psychopharmacological effect? I agree, MAOI activity with yerba is probably quite low, so I'm wondering how yerba differs from regular caffeine products.

There are also theobromine and theophylline, both with low but recognizable activity. Maybe it's simply due to the ratio of those 3.

Another simple reason could be the consumed amount of caffeine. In South America I encountered maté to be usually consumed slowly, in small amounts at once and rather distributed over the day, compared to the 'binges' of somebody with a coffee-machine, who drinks 2-4 cups in a row.

The MAOI-activity of maté is a hoax. Period.

- Murphy

Sorry to bump an old thread, but i just felt the need to mention something here..

Last year i had a hypertensive crisis from a combination of: yerba mate+kava+tramadol+d-amp (residual/in my system).. Not being an expert, i assume the kava and tramadol caused most of the problems, but i'm sure the addition of yerba mate couldn't have helped

Just be careful and don't consume copious amounts of mate like i did; especially while on powerful stims

Just be careful and don't consume copious amounts of mate like i did; especially while on powerful stims
Said what? The correct assumption would be "Don't use random combinations of 4 drugs at once". Amphetamine has effects mainly on DA- & NE-levels (releaser); tramadol resp. its metabolites possess combined opioid-agonist activity (no subtype-selectivity), NE-reuptake inhibition and 5HT-release; caffeine does all kinds of stuff including (slight) rise of BP, increase of heart rate etc.; kavalactones have effects on DA-levels and one of them is a MAOI ... and these are all only the most relevant activities. 8)

There needs n clarification on if its an MAOI A/B(page dosnt load for me)

a while ago on ADD there was threads maois, about having maois? Tea having maois? Coffee having maois? (many plants seem to list maois but not really ever advised that its contraindicated)

Alot of these I think are just chemicle ways the plant creates alkaloids, by the process of them not breaking down. They are maois, but do not possess maoi activity.

An example is isoquinolines(ADD Help me out here) I wouldnt really worry, although caffine itself is draining enough on the addrenal system to me to never drink it.

People do tobacco(definitly MAOI A/B whi and mate, theoeticly caffeine itself is just contraindicated with maois.

Ive done for example cocaine with ayahausca, but methylone is different than cocaine.

Ive had syrian rue an afternoon after a large mdma binge(so some% Id guess was still in me after 24 hours) but I had some ordeal in my life right after I dosed to notice if it was really bad

I think the basic just of this thread was summed up by murphy;

there's not enough evidence of Maté exhibiting any MAOI effects.

You generally don't use a whole lot of Maté [I mean the physical plant material] because it works quite well for multiple steepings. Thus, as Murphy said, its generally consumed slowly over a long duration not inhaled like coffee.

The caffeine content in maté is quite significant. I drink it from time to time and can specifically remember one morning sharing it with a friend and going through maybe 4-5 gourds of it each across the span of the morning. I was certainly wired at the end of the session.

This is due to the caffeine, but the reason it doesn't hit you in the face right away like coffee can is again like Murphy said because Maté also contains other chemicals like Theobromine and Theophylline. The combination of these chemicals in Maté make for it to be a pleasantly stimulating drink with no after crash. But just like coffee or strong black teas, if you drink too much of it you'll feel jittery from so much caffeine.

If there were a chance of bad reactions from the MAOI action of Maté I don't think it would be so widely used, or sold in grocery stores as bottled tea drinks...

just a quick note: the word is mate, not maté.

In Spanish, a tilde over a concluding vowel signifies that the final syllable is stressed (maTE). This pronunciation is incorrect. In the Spanish mate, the first syllable is stressed (no tilde needed for that because the word ends in a vowel).

I know this is petty but it irks the hell out of me.