• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos xanny/seroqel combo for sleep!? its not helping like you'd think.

ImSTILLtrying

Bluelighter
I take xanny nightly; luckily I have the ability to only use once a day, at night, and never pick up a habit since its half life is so short.

I've added seroquel to it to TRY and get a longer sleep since xanny only gets you a few hours, tops.

lately, the combo has barely been working like it once has. my sleep is terrible. between trying to fall asleep/stay asleep its nearly impossible. I've tried every sleep med possible and nowadays using the two that ONCE WORKED but no longer working, even as a combo.

I am lucky to get 3hrs a night. it kills me in so many ways.

I am also a heroin/suboxone user; which when using dope (not often anymore) ill sleep no problem. but when I just take my regular 4MG of bupe, ill never catch any sleep that night.

anyone else tried/been through all sleep meds and just are not getting the results anymore? I just wish I could sleep/not awake every hour, etc. I've tried it all it seems and still have these problems. what else is there to do? I know it has a lot to do w/ life's problems and whatnot but thats something I can only handle so fast. just seems sleep is killing me; thoughts racing, twisting, turning, TV on/off, etc.

only taking 1MG/xanny and 50MG/seroquel

I personally feel that benzos and antipsychotics/antihistamines function very differently in sleep. I'm on .5mg clonazepam and 150mg seroquel. I think once your body has stabilized with a certain type of sleep aid, throwing another one in thats not of the same family can be hard on you. perhaps play with the doseage of your seroquel to try to get some more sleep, it could also be from not taking seroquel on a regular basis that your body isnt used to it. Or if might be simple as a puff or two.

Sleep hygiene , Guided meditation, Therapy, chamomile tea, warm milk, melatonin, hydroxyzine, L-Theanine, Yoga

If the meds are not helping you should try a tolerance break and in the best case stop them alltogether

I personally feel that benzos and antipsychotics/antihistamines function very differently in sleep. I'm on .5mg clonazepam and 150mg seroquel. I think once your body has stabilized with a certain type of sleep aid, throwing another one in thats not of the same family can be hard on you. perhaps play with the doseage of your seroquel to try to get some more sleep, it could also be from not taking seroquel on a regular basis that your body isnt used to it. Or if might be simple as a puff or two.
I've played w/ dosage and anything over 200MG is a waste; its also not the greatest unless being used for its original reasoning.

also, I've been using together for a bit. its not necessarily new, but its something different that I am hoping works MORE than the next. I take the seroquel on a regular basis, which is at night, before bed. the only times I dont take it is if I run out a bit early since I am only scripted 50/MG/night but I stick w/ that often unless DYING TO SLEEP. so only run a FEW DAYS, if that, short.

how do you take your two? not both at same time? not both at bed time? are you saying you take your clonapam during the day and seroquel at night?why you mentioning its hard on you if you are doing the same? I've been hard on my body for years so even if it is its nothing too bad and also not even working at this point.

If the meds are not helping you should try a tolerance break and in the best case stop them alltogether
oh man, if it was that easy, I would. I wouldnt sleep for quite a bit; I've tried it before and was passing out at 5AM and waking up at 7AM. its just not easy for me right now. more of a pain in the ass than anything, man.

BUT, last night I actually got 8hrs on my usual 1MG xanny/50MG seroquel. hopefully every night goes well; maybe my scripts saw this post and were like, "oh yea, BBT, we dont work, well, we'll work tonight on yah!".

I don't agree that a short half life makes it easier to avoid a habit. IMO (and I have read many times in various places) it's the other way around, it's easier to take a long half-life benzo and not pick up a habit. If you were able to stop the xanax altogether, yes you would not sleep well for a while, maybe a long while, but in the long-term I reckon you'd sleep better.

Through taking 1mg xanax, with its short half-life, only once a day, your brain and body are constantly dealing with big ups and downs with the levels of the drug in your blood. The system really does not like this. If anything it would probably better to take 0.25mg 4x a day than what you're currently doing. Or better still, swap to diazepam 3x per day. Even diazepam once per day would be better. I reckon your xanax use is causing you rebound anxiety which is stopping you from sleeping.

Another option would be to try mirtazapine, it may have other side effects (less so than seroquel) but it tends to make most people struggle to stay awake.

why would I tak e.25 4x's a day. I am using it for SLEEP ONLY! would make ZERO sense to take multiple times a day. are you same my final dose would knock me out? also, that would leave me w/ a habit. there are times I go on vaca or elsewhere w/o any xanny and I am fine w/o a WD at all; same goes for when I run short every month because I sometimes give some of my script away and whatnot; never once have I picked up a habit or any negative.

back in the day when I was doing dope/valium, the benzo habit I picked up had me in shivers and have seizures quite often. was fucking hell and would never let it happen again.

played w/ benzos for many years and the xanny dosage I am using now is best for myself, as far as safety goes for.

chronic use of sleeping tablets only results in worse long-term sleep problems
i know its not what you wanted to hear but your best bet for better sleep is to taper down on your benzos and/or anti-psychotics (if that's safe for you) and start to practice methods like sleep hygiene/yoga/meditation/sober living/exercise/herbal medication etc etc

or you could just keep taking these tables in larger and larger quantities until they do absolutey nothing and you go stark raving mad.
gppd luck bro, keep trying.

Last edited:
very understandable but a lot of people have been using sleeping products for those many years. sad to say, but the only time my sleeping turns around is when I am locked up, jail or programs, and I get a better sleep schedule. when alone, or w/ a sig other, I usually do not get the sleep I need/want, all the shit, ya know!? so if a pill is helping, and its needed based on my life, then the pill is being taken, trust me, man. I'm sure we've all done it but sitting there in that bed just laying, waiting for yourself to pass out, is a fucking hassle and a half and works that brain a bit too much for my own liking, which is why I usually always have the TV on, which grabs my attention and keeps me awake, so I am BS.

but since I posted this things have gotten better on my end. been sleeping so much better w/ the 1MG xanny and 50MG seroquel. last night passed out around 2AM and woke up at 11AM today - PERFECTO, baby! I am hoping it stays this way but like most people, there is a slight UGH when waking up w/ seroquel; takes an extra push to get up, lol.

I don't want to focus on the benzodiazepine end, but possibly a longer acting benzodiazepine like Clonazepam (roughly, subjectively same strength as the Xanax).

When I took Seroquel breifily, I noticed that it would kmtfo, but I would wake up hung over with cotton mouth. If you took a lower dose of Seroquel and took a dose of Clonazepam, IMO, the Clonazepam would help with the hangover.

I do highly agree that the more natural, the better. Excercise, Vitamins and great sleep hygiene.

believe me, man.. I wake up w/ a DRY MOUTH and can barely speak! so I know what you mean w/ that seroquel; I am only using 50MG; I used to take 100MG in the past but dropped my dosage since adding a benzo!

one thing I would not do is use a longer lasting benzo in my sleep pattern; not looking to get addicted. I have a 30 day supply monthly and usually run about 10 days short but feel fine come the 21st/22nd and 23rd day, so there is no active addiction/dependence there. the sleep may change but thats it. so far, so good. been using this combo for a solid 4-5 months but thats it. I'd like to eliminate the benzo but the benzo is what is knocking me out and the seroquel is what is keeping me asleep more than 3 hours.

anyone using the actual sleep pills:

riazolam (Halcion)
Zaleplon (Sonata)
Zolpidem (Ambien, Edluar, Intermezzo, Zolpimist)
Zolpidem extended release (Ambien CR)

I've had the Z drugs. Ambien is great if you don't abuse them. Sonata did nothing for me. You better have a severe sleep problem and a cool doctor if you think you might get Halcion/triazolam. That is one sleeper that can easily kill and most doctors know that one is for extreme cases only.

Ambien worked but one night I tripped to the point I drove my car out of my drive way, back into the driveway, hit my neighbors car, kept my car against my neighbors car, and then went back to bed w/o remembering a thing. I woke up to my GF yelling at me that I am a mess, etc. I had NO IDEA what she meant and walked outside and had to apologize to the people/neighbors. also cost me 500 for bumper repair on their car.

why would I tak e.25 4x's a day. I am using it for SLEEP ONLY! would make ZERO sense to take multiple times a day. are you same my final dose would knock me out? also, that would leave me w/ a habit. there are times I go on vaca or elsewhere w/o any xanny and I am fine w/o a WD at all; same goes for when I run short every month because I sometimes give some of my script away and whatnot; never once have I picked up a habit or any negative.

back in the day when I was doing dope/valium, the benzo habit I picked up had me in shivers and have seizures quite often. was fucking hell and would never let it happen again.

played w/ benzos for many years and the xanny dosage I am using now is best for myself, as far as safety goes for.

I think you'll find that the things I said are true, if you do your research. Short acting benzos are easier, not harder, to get physically addicted to. Also, if you take that dose of xanax every day you will almost certainly get dependent eventually. It's your life though.

Even though alprazolam is short acting the half life is like 10-12 hours, so if you take 1mg a day it'll accumulate.

Ambien worked but one night I tripped to the point I drove my car out of my drive way, back into the driveway, hit my neighbors car, kept my car against my neighbors car, and then went back to bed w/o remembering a thing. I woke up to my GF yelling at me that I am a mess, etc. I had NO IDEA what she meant and walked outside and had to apologize to the people/neighbors. also cost me 500 for bumper repair on their car.

Cotrolled release ambien is alot better than IR Ambien IMO. Also, the crazy hallucinations didn't last long for me. My doctor actually told me that extended release Ambien + clonazepam is a great combo that hes taken every night for years. I cant personally attest to the clonazepam, but CR Ambien has been extremely helpful for me lately. They'll completely stop working if you abuse them though.

very understandable but a lot of people have been using sleeping products for those many years. sad to say, but the only time my sleeping turns around is when I am locked up, jail or programs, and I get a better sleep schedule. when alone, or w/ a sig other, I usually do not get the sleep I need/want, all the shit, ya know!? so if a pill is helping, and its needed based on my life, then the pill is being taken...

[...] but since I posted this things have gotten better on my end. been sleeping so much better

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

well, what can i say, i hope they carry on working for you man i really do. but if you notice in the future that you're having to take more and more with diminishing returns i urge you to follow the advice i laid out in my previous post.

glad to hear your sleeping has improved tho

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

well, what can i say, i hope they carry on working for you man i really do. but if you notice in the future that you're having to take more and more with diminishing returns i urge you to follow the advice i laid out in my previous post.

glad to hear your sleeping has improved tho

people who have severe issues when it comes to sleep eventually turn to these meds. I have had sleep issues do to PTSD and multiple Military traumas. I have tried exercise yoga meditation and unfortunately did nothing. I started with small doses of benzos 12 yeas ago now I am on Benzos and low dose of Seroquel to stop my rage and anger issues, intrusive thought that keep me awake.
I would love to be at a stage where meditation would work for my sleep, I just think people are very different especially with what they have gone through. It's different than your typical college student stressing over tests.

I would love to be at a stage where meditation would work for my sleep, I just think people are very different especially with what they have gone through. It's different than your typical college student stressing over tests.
much different; been through hell and back w/ brain cancer, chemo therapy, etc. none of it helped w/ "sleep". trust me. being sick as a dog some nights, puking my guts out, barely getting a wink of sleep. and then there is the after issues when coming off chemo; another problem, which is happening right now.