• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Would you move to Sweden?

Jabberwocky

Frumious Bandersnatch
I have been presented with an opportunity to move to Sweden, most likely staying for a minimum of three months. My "gut feeling" says yes.

Are there any opinions of Sweden from bluelighters? I would like to hear some feedback, if you have the time to post some for me.

Thanks in advance :)

Sweden is one of the best countries in the world. Clean, not over crowded, great healthcare and progressive government who use taxes for the people, not empire building. People generally risk their lives for a fraction of this. I could do 3 months there in a doddle. In fact I'd probably want to live there longer depending on the job.

No cricket or rugby would be the only downside

Yes! Sweden is one of the few countries I would actually move too.They have their shit sorted out. Would be a great experience.

I live in Sweden ! It's pretty nice , although I've never lived anywhere else :) And yeah the free healthcare is good , but not always the best. If you have any questions maybe I could help ? =)

hmm. Thanks for the responses. Sweden does sound like fun. I think I'm going to go, although that is a good point about the lack of sport there. I have a really good mate that lives in Norway, so things could be pretty good if I can go visit him too.

So shall I assume that this free health care extends to all? Or just Swedish? Either way it doesn't matter too much. The girl I am planning on moving there with is amazing in every way. It seems as if things could work out well.

I'm going to see a few professors at Uni this week about jobs there. I've been told Swedish is pretty easy to learn, but that most people will insist on speaking English if I speak bad Scandinavian to them :)

I would move there just for the snus. =D

Swedish is pretty easy to learn. If you have learnt English, there's no reason you wouldn't learn Swedish. :)

Swedes are fucking cool. That's all there is to it. ;) Seriously, I'd go ... I can't imagine a significant downside if you have the time and inclination. Trevlig resa!

The more research I do on Scandinavia, the more I like the sounds of it as a place of residence. If there are any further tips on this decision, I would love to hear them! Thanks again. :)

Any place in my consideration as a place of residency would have to meet certain criteria. I'd examine the job market, then the cost of living, then the education system, then their crime rates, then their immigration laws. I'm sure I'm forgetting something...

Last edited:
I was in Sweden for 10 days visiting a friend and from what I've seen - if I decided to move to another country Sweden would be in the top 3. For all the reasons already listed + great weather (I don't like warm weather) and hot girls (never seen so many blue eyed blonds than in Stockholm) <3

I've been to Sweden roughly every other year for almost a decade. Stockholm, Malmo and Goteborg are great, but a little lacking in "grit" if that's what you look for in a city. After a couple of weeks it can get a bit boring if you are used to chaos. In many ways, vibrant food and entrepreneur culture is still emerging compared to the rest of the world.

Pretty much the whole of Sweden (except for suburbs) is great if you like quiet, beautiful living. I would qualify that by saying that outside of the sthlm area, suburbs can have woods and streams and cool shit like that.

Christmas is particularly difficult as there are days with no sun, and it can get depressing (my friend's neighbor hung himself on his balcony). But summer is so beautiful. Everyone is out, picnics, parties, etc. There are also loads of places to go in the countryside, and borderskipping is easy. You can take a bus to Denmark, there are cheap flights to Spain and everywhere else..

I'd visit before moving there just to see if it's your thing. The cost of living is particularly high compared to say the PIGS, but like people mentioned, health care and education are what you get in exchange.

It's also pretty safe. I left a bag with a few thousand $ in a cafe and didn't realize til some hours later. When I got back, my bag was still in the same place despite the restaurant being super busy. I've also walked home from clubs/ parties at 2-4 am and not had any sort of trouble except for once, to a manageable level.

Personally, I could stay for probably 5 months tops, and would need a bit of a change in scenery or a place with more of an element if surprise and uncertainty... But that's just me, as I grew up in a place with total chaos and much less reserved people.

Come here and have fun, dance, battle right-wing extremists and be ready to have to put some work into building social relationships (do not let silence discourage you). Bring some new perspectives with you here as well - it's needed.

I have lived in Sweden most of the last two years. It has gorgeous land, peace, quiet and very trusting people. However, if you seek excitement, a party life, awesome food and fantastic fashion, you will not be in the right place. Personally, I am starved for excitement, partying, good customer service and good old US-style fun here.

Three months is a good amount of time to explore and leave with a pleasant experience. Good luck with your decision and safe travels.:)

It's settled! I'm moving to Sweden in a week, or at least going for a while to travel and see if I want to live there...I can't wait!

Thanks for the advice!! :D

Visited once before, wouldn't live there as it doesn't seem like my type of country to live in but yes I would go back again.

Hope you enjoy it there, where exactly you staying?

I've been to Sweden roughly every other year for almost a decade. Stockholm, Malmo and Goteborg are great, but a little lacking in "grit" if that's what you look for in a city. After a couple of weeks it can get a bit boring if you are used to chaos.

Hell yea, sterile cities suck!

Visited once before, wouldn't live there as it doesn't seem like my type of country to live in but yes I would go back again.

Hope you enjoy it there, where exactly you staying?
Thanks. Malmo.