• S E X
    L O V E +
    R E L A T I O N S H I P S

❤️ Welcome Guest! ❤️

Posting Guidelines Bluelight Rules
  • SLR Moderators: axe battler | xtcgrrrl | arrall

Would you date a male with depression and anxiety issues?

Jabberwocky

Frumious Bandersnatch
As the title goes. I have been single now for over 5 years and part of the problem is I don't want to date whilst I have mental health issues and am not working full time.

So what's your opinion?

its funny you should ask this, me and my girlfriend had some friends over and we were all discussing this exact topic - dating someone with clinical depression - and whilst me & another guy said that it depended on the girl & the circumstances, every single one of the girls said that they wouldn't date a guy like that. That was actually the only thing they all agreed upon when we were all talking about it, as they all gave a variety of different reasons and had a couple of misconceptions about the nature of depression. After hearing them talk about it at length I think the core of what their problem is with depressed dudes is that they see it as synonymous with a dude that has no drive, no "get up and go", no optimism or positivity. They all agreed that when they decide to date a guy, they want somebody strong who they can depend upon, a rock to make them feel secure & safe, they don't want some whiny guy that THEY have to look after, which would be a huge turn off for them.

Another issue they had with depressed guys is that they seemed to have this partial group consensus about the idea that it showed some kind of character defect in men. I tried to make them see that depression is most likely a physical problem, down o a malfunctioning brain and was a mere chemical imbalance more than anything else, and whilst after I convinced them for a while they kind of grudgingly accepted it, they still wouldn't let go of the idea that in a man depression is just them essentially being weak - one of them literally used the term "little boy in a mans body" to refer to her co-worker who had recently had some time off for his depression.

What led onto this conversation with them originally was what they were actually looking for in a man, and there were several traits that most of them could agree on, that when they talked about depression in a guy it became clear that they perceived depressed men as lacking several of the traits that they all agreed they wanted. Every one of them agreed they want a man that was hard-working, driven and most of all PASSIONATE. They agreed among themselves that depressed men had none of these traits and without coming out and saying it many of them implied that depressed men were lazy and lacked direction and enthusiasm, and a couple of them also put forward the suggestion that this is probably why men get depressed in the first place, and that if they had a path that they had been following, they would have had the passion and focus to not be depressed.

And the last thing I gathered from the conversation is that the typical image of a depressed guy is someone who is maudlin, moody, tearful, crying etc. This image seemed to be a huge turn off for them all - I think because being stoic and holding it together is seen as masculine, whereas they see depression as something that is typically feminine in nature - they made out depressed guys to be weak, wimpy, feminine boys rather than the MEN that they actually wanted. I gathered this especially from the way in which they all agreed when one of them said "And men CRYING? Urgh oh my God" and they all agreed/nodded.

Now, don't take this as gospel. All in all we were probably only talking about depression in men for about half an hour, and none of these views are my opinions, you just got quite lucky posting this now while the discussion is still fresh in my mind from last night, these are just my thoughts after hearing 8 women have a conversation regarding depression in men, so it's just the consensus gathered from hearing their opinions. There are loads of women in the world, and the opinions of these 8 can hardly be construed as a cross section of all the women in the world - these were all white, middle class women in their early 20s, so I don't know how their opinions compare to the opinions of other women. Also, by the by, we didn't get talking about anxiety, so I have no idea how they feel about that.

How long have you been suffering from depression/anxiety by the way, if you don't mind me asking?

I'm a bisexual man and I've dated women and men who happened to have mental issues like depression/anxiety, and my last ex was bipolar but refuses to take any meds, but instead drinks lots of alcohol daily, and sometimes takes a low dose of opiate pills with the booze. :\

well when depressed mentally its probably not the most attractive state.

hypomania in my experience and sometimes mania in friends (moderate amounts) seems to make them engaging, big pupils, attractive and charming.

i would probably myself not because i have had bipolar issues in the past and when i spend lots of time around depressed people i find myself agreeing with their views and getting really down.

basically cos i have these traits myself i would prefer the opposite of me in a relationship

well when depressed mentally its probably not the most attractive state.

hypomania in my experience and sometimes mania in friends (moderate amounts) seems to make them engaging, big pupils, attractive and charming.

i would probably myself not because i have had bipolar issues in the past and when i spend lots of time around depressed people i find myself agreeing with their views and getting really down.

basically cos i have these traits myself i would prefer the opposite of me in a relationship

hahaha oh this brings back memories. Hypomania, what a fucking rush right? It certainly made me FEEL more attractive. I went from seeing myself as an average looking guy to thinking I was fucking don juan, irresistible to men and women, sure that every womans eyes was on me everywhere I went, 100% certain that I could have any woman on the planet that I wanted. I guess when you have that kind of true true confidence you can't help but become a little more attractive.l but i agree that depression is never very attractive.

I really hate myself for saying this but that is incredibly sexist.

I sucks that "men shouldn't cry" but then "why u never show ur emotions".... And it sounds like those women just want some sugar daddy to constantly work, never have an input, and listen to them cry and whine while remaining completely stoic and straightfaced.

That being said depression will dampen anyone's positive traits. And being out the worst. Though it is completely misunderstood. I think many people are depressed and just don't realize it.

It sucks that "men shouldn't cry" but then "why u never show ur emotions".... And it sounds like those women just want some sugar daddy to constantly work, never have an input, and listen to them cry and whine while remaining completely stoic and straightfaced.

They're not women, they're girls in the early 20's (according to the post).. who have yet to realize that men are not just semi-aware meatsacks but actually have an emotional range and depth, and who also have yet to emerge from their early years enculturation process. Give it 5-10 years, and when they realize they're only dating/attracting dickheads and psychopaths they may re-evaluate their position.

its funny you should ask this, me and my girlfriend had some friends over and we were all discussing this exact topic - dating someone with clinical depression - and whilst me & another guy said that it depended on the girl & the circumstances, every single one of the girls said that they wouldn't date a guy like that. That was actually the only thing they all agreed upon when we were all talking about it, as they all gave a variety of different reasons and had a couple of misconceptions about the nature of depression. After hearing them talk about it at length I think the core of what their problem is with depressed dudes is that they see it as synonymous with a dude that has no drive, no "get up and go", no optimism or positivity. They all agreed that when they decide to date a guy, they want somebody strong who they can depend upon, a rock to make them feel secure & safe, they don't want some whiny guy that THEY have to look after, which would be a huge turn off for them.

Another issue they had with depressed guys is that they seemed to have this partial group consensus about the idea that it showed some kind of character defect in men. I tried to make them see that depression is most likely a physical problem, down o a malfunctioning brain and was a mere chemical imbalance more than anything else, and whilst after I convinced them for a while they kind of grudgingly accepted it, they still wouldn't let go of the idea that in a man depression is just them essentially being weak - one of them literally used the term "little boy in a mans body" to refer to her co-worker who had recently had some time off for his depression.

What led onto this conversation with them originally was what they were actually looking for in a man, and there were several traits that most of them could agree on, that when they talked about depression in a guy it became clear that they perceived depressed men as lacking several of the traits that they all agreed they wanted. Every one of them agreed they want a man that was hard-working, driven and most of all PASSIONATE. They agreed among themselves that depressed men had none of these traits and without coming out and saying it many of them implied that depressed men were lazy and lacked direction and enthusiasm, and a couple of them also put forward the suggestion that this is probably why men get depressed in the first place, and that if they had a path that they had been following, they would have had the passion and focus to not be depressed.

And the last thing I gathered from the conversation is that the typical image of a depressed guy is someone who is maudlin, moody, tearful, crying etc. This image seemed to be a huge turn off for them all - I think because being stoic and holding it together is seen as masculine, whereas they see depression as something that is typically feminine in nature - they made out depressed guys to be weak, wimpy, feminine boys rather than the MEN that they actually wanted. I gathered this especially from the way in which they all agreed when one of them said "And men CRYING? Urgh oh my God" and they all agreed/nodded.

Now, don't take this as gospel. All in all we were probably only talking about depression in men for about half an hour, and none of these views are my opinions, you just got quite lucky posting this now while the discussion is still fresh in my mind from last night, these are just my thoughts after hearing 8 women have a conversation regarding depression in men, so it's just the consensus gathered from hearing their opinions. There are loads of women in the world, and the opinions of these 8 can hardly be construed as a cross section of all the women in the world - these were all white, middle class women in their early 20s, so I don't know how their opinions compare to the opinions of other women. Also, by the by, we didn't get talking about anxiety, so I have no idea how they feel about that.

How long have you been suffering from depression/anxiety by the way, if you don't mind me asking?

Most of my life. Am on meds for depression and it works quite well. Not for anxiety though.

I always find when I do get into a relationship I end it before anything serious happens. Perhaps it's my defence mechanism working.

I would. Perhaps because I've had anxiety all my life and depression when I was younger (still sometimes it comes on again).

The only thing I could not handle is if he was co-dependent. That is too much pressure on me. I can't be "the world" to someone.

My partner doesn't have anxiety but he has had depression (although was recovering when we met). I didn't know this until after we'd been dating for a while.

Reading that whole thing, Rio Fantastic, I couldn't help but think of my ex-friend from my hometown. The guy was a fucking tool. But women loved him, because he was go-getty, always impressing the ladies with his confidence. But if you really got to know this guy, you'd find he's the whiniest, rudest, most narcissistic piece of shit. Come over to his dad's house and he expects everything a certain way. Invite him over to your house, he won't respect your rules or operate on a level that is even remotely human.

This is the ideal man, that women love... Sad truth. He had had over 70 different relationships by the time I started hanging out with him. And he was proud that every one of them ended after no more than 6 weeks. Proud of every one.

But I have yet to make a point. My point is, the qualities of a "man" are something of hot debate all over the place. IMO a man is someone with a developed spirit and a strong/good heart. I don't know what makes a woman a woman. Never seen a spiritually developed one.
On that note, I would only date a man who fits the description above, depression or not.

Whoa! At first I was going to say "sure I would!" but then I realized, like, it depends on just how bad this person already can get....

If he is mature enough to handle himself then yeah, I would (and have) date a man with mental health issues. On the flip side, many run like hell when I tell them about my problems. People can be shitty no matter what gender they are.

A man who is comfortable enough in his masculinity to admit when things aren't so good with his emotions should be seen as a good thing. Most women my age (mid 20's) are delusional about many things, especially their idea of a "real man" but they forget that men are people too. They have feelings, duh.

If his anxiety involves delusions about me cheating on him when I'm not, then we have a problem. I can not and will not deal with that shit.

"And men CRYING? Urgh oh my God" and they all agreed/nodded.
I wish these people would realize how fucking sexist this shit is. anyway, I am a man and I am glad that I am able to cry when necessary, as I find it emotionally cleaning and giving me focus in very hard times.
imo men who supress their feelings and act manly and tough all the time are the ones who are fucked in their brain. but society and media also gives a very false image of what a man is supposed to be, and many men (including myself) suffer from this, not as much as women (imho), but it still is a problem.

anyway, as SS said (and as improbable it seems, I agree with him for once ;) ), if these girls are in their early 20s they have a lot to learn. If they are looking for a man to be a "rock they can always lean on" means that they completely insecure and feel like they can't handle their lives themselves. I mean it's good to have somebody you love and can rely on, but expecting a man to be always like that, like he has no sorrows and problems and needs of his own is pretty ignorant. I am also in my 20s and I don't know many girls my age I would consider mature enough to have a serious relationship with (sexual relations yes, but that is a different story ofc). women may mature faster regarding their bodies, but in my opinion, they stay "girls" for longer than men stay "boys" (generalization, I know, but this is the way I feel about this).

^This is why it sucks to try and have a normal relationship in your 20's. It seems like people expect too much from each other, or they have no respect. Hell, half the time if something's bothering them they won't talk about it in a civilized manner. Either they pout and make you play "blues clues" or throw a tantrum. Ugh...

But I have yet to make a point. My point is, the qualities of a "man" are something of hot debate all over the place. IMO a man is someone with a developed spirit and a strong/good heart. I don't know what makes a woman a woman. Never seen a spiritually developed one.
On that note, I would only date a man who fits the description above, depression or not.
What country are these women in? I wrote a post about something similar. It was about my horrible experiences with American Women.

Maybe there should be a thread about dating women with anxiety and depression issues.

What country are these women in? I wrote a post about something similar. It was about my horrible experiences with American Women.

Maybe there should be a thread about dating women with anxiety and depression issues.
The United States of America. You guessed it/

Just thinking about myself for a moment and times I've gotten really depressed in my life... like suicidally depressed. I didn't really know how to deal with it. Now if it happens, I have a go-to list of "things that are likely to help you feel better", and I go down the list doing each thing. The list is stuck to my fridge. It doesn't always work but it gives me hope.

So, I could only date someone who KNOWS their depression and anxiety really well. What triggers it, how they might deal with it, coping strategies, etc. What I can't stand is dating someone who is depressed or anxious, but doesn't want to do anything about it or take steps to get better. It's hard to do that if you can't even recognize you're depressed or if you're giving up right away.

Basically, I can't date someone with a mental health issue who also has no will power. It would mean that they'd rely on me to motivate them all the time and that becomes energy vampirism after a while. I understand everyone gets down and out but relationships are about give and take.

My rule for dating now is: no more children, no more projects.

I have a go-to list of "things that are likely to help you feel better", and I go down the list doing each thing. The list is stuck to my fridge. It doesn't always work but it gives me hope.

i'm curious whats on the list. i have times where i'm down and i don't really have a clear idea of what to do. if its too personal you could pm me?

OT: the person would have to be in the process of healing themselves emotionally, i don't want to play therapist/psychologist.

To answer your questions, no.

But it worries me that that's how you describe yourself, as a man who has anxiety, depression, and is only working P/T.

What are you doing about your "mental health issues"?

i'm curious whats on the list. i have times where i'm down and i don't really have a clear idea of what to do. if its too personal you could pm me?

OT: the person would have to be in the process of healing themselves emotionally, i don't want to play therapist/psychologist.

Some I can mention:

Nutritious food
Exercise
Adequate sleep or rest
Using your voice, or talking to another human being
Sitting somewhere populated (like a park)
Listening to stimulating or uplifting music
Going for a long walk (with music)
Visiting nature (the forest, the ocean, etc.)
Confiding in a friend
Meditation, spiritual practices
Journal writing
Herbal medicine, acupuncture
Reading a good book, especially poetry that resonates
Induce crying (usually alleviates)
Looking at uplifting colours, or wearing those colours
Aromatherapy (especially citrus fragrances), incense
Sounds: singing bowls, tuning forks, bells, musical instruments