• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

would using imodium cause precipitated withdrawal when changing from habit to subs?

beeeatch

Bluelighter
i've recently been stupid enough to get a heroin addiction. have an appraisal on saturday and i'm hoping the result will be a subutex script. i know you have to do 24 hours of cold turkey before taking subs to prevent precipitated withdrawal, and was planning to cushion this by taking a benzo and maybe imodium to stop me sitting on the toilet for all that time. however, i've just read that loperamide is an opioid. does this mean i wont be able to take this? and if so, could anybody recommend anything else to get me through that time?

thank you.

I think loperamide, benzo's and sleep should get you through it just fine. Everyone on here reccomends immodium for WD's so I don't think you got anything to worry about.

thanks for the reply, but i think maybe you've misunderstood the question... or i've not made myself clear, probably the latter! i've read that imodium is an opioid, so was thinking that it wouldn't count as cold turkey if i took it. ie, the 24 hours i need to be off the gear before taking the subs may be compromised by imodium use. ie, imodium/loperamide being an opioid... would taking that during the 24 hours mean i'd go into precipitated withdrawal once i start taking the sub? is there anything else to stop the chronic shits during that 24 hours?

thank you very much indeed. before looking at this site i had no idea imodium was an opioid. i'm not taking it at the moment, i was just planning on using it in the necessary period between heroin and subutex, but it looks like i'll be in the bathroom for 24 hours instead... unless anybody has any better ideas for 'blocking myself up'? maybe an egg diet for 24 hours? lol

You need to read the rest of my post. You need to wait longer than 24 hours before taking bupe or you will go into PW's anyway.

edit: didn't read your threads mads, that'll teach me doing a drive-by :D interesting, I hadn't come across that for Immodium. I can't see how you can get full blown precipitated WDs though seeing as loperamide doesn't cross the BBB? Going to have to do some research on this :)

Last edited:
hmm, food for thought there. guess the doctor who does the appraisal will know best, will have notes lined up with all my enquiries!

Let us know, I'm really interested in this! Thanks for the threads too mads, I'd have assumed it would not cause precip WDs at all going by it's pharmacology, but I guess bupe has just as much effect on peripheral opioid receptors as it does central. V interesting! :)

i will do. appointment's at two, for about an hour apparently, will get on here straight after and let you know what he says. :)

Yes BEEEEATCH-I would also like to thank you for throwing this question out there. I've wondered about what you asked from time to time. And of course TY for the input from everyone.

Good luck with your induction BEEEE!

Let us know, I'm really interested in this! Thanks for the threads too mads, I'd have assumed it would not cause precip WDs at all going by it's pharmacology, but I guess bupe has just as much effect on peripheral opioid receptors as it does central. V interesting! :)

I think that one person on here said that you could get precipiated withdrawals from taking suboxone after loperamide, and then a bunch of other people took it as fact, and spread it around.

Having said that, I don't know the answer to whether or not you can get PWs from lope, but I'm leaning towards "no."

the doctor i've just seen said that he'd never heard of that happening, and that they'd used loperamide in treating people before. also, i don't have to wait 24 hours between taking the heroin and starting the subutex, just be in some state of withdrawal, which usually takes about twelve hours for me. getting my script started on wednesday (woohoo!) and wont be needing loperamide anyway as i'll be asleep for most of the time before i start clucking properly.

so, to sum up, the doctor's pretty certain that loperamide wouldn't be responsible for causing precipitated withdrawal,

thanks for all the input. =D

I have read that the "precipitated withdrawal" caused by lope is stomach issues because it doesnt cross the bbb..not full fledge pw

I'm highly doubtful that taking taking suboxone while on loperamide would cause precipitated withdrawals.. If it does anything at all, it would simply act on your stomach since loperamide only attaches to the receptors in your intestines, not in your brain because it does not cross the blood brain barrier. Also, like you figured out, you don't have to wait 24 hours to avoid P/W's. Some people might, but everyone is different and your metabolism is what really decides how long you need to wait. You just need to take it when you get sick—noticeably sick, not mentally psyching yourself out. For me it's usually around 12 hours. Others it could be 15 or 24, etc.

I think loperamide, benzo's and sleep should get you through it just fine. Everyone on here reccomends immodium for WD's so I don't think you got anything to worry about.

Yup. Did the trick for me. DXM with it as well.

I'm highly doubtful that taking taking suboxone while on loperamide would cause precipitated withdrawals.. If it does anything at all, it would simply act on your stomach since loperamide only attaches to the receptors in your intestines, not in your brain because it does not cross the blood brain barrier. Also, like you figured out, you don't have to wait 24 hours to avoid P/W's. Some people might, but everyone is different and your metabolism is what really decides how long you need to wait. You just need to take it when you get sick—noticeably sick, not mentally psyching yourself out. For me it's usually around 12 hours. Others it could be 15 or 24, etc.

This is interesting. If he uses prilosec or black pepper to cross it over the BBB there's a small chance. VERY small chacne he could.

Naltrexone does cause precipitated withdrawals with loperamide. However, like others have said it is gastrointestinal distress. This happened after a successful bupe taper, but I was taking loperamide for the usually reasons. I was using 6-12mg of loperamide daily. My local pharmacist warned me while my doctor said it shouldn't be an issue. I am grateful the bupe allowed me to adjust my lifestyle to where I didn't need to wake up and then use. Life should be a valley with rolling hills. It has its ups and downs. I shouldn't be on cloud 9 24/7. My habit was a gram of ECP daily at its worst. Good luck and sorry for the bump, but I would wait a half life or two after the last dose of loperamide. However, precipitated withdrawal from bupe is much shorter than naltrexone so that might have something to do with it.

Naltrexone does cause precipitated withdrawals with loperamide. However, like others have said it is gastrointestinal distress. This happened after a successful bupe taper, but I was taking loperamide for the usually reasons. I was using 6-12mg of loperamide daily. My local pharmacist warned me while my doctor said it shouldn't be an issue. I am grateful the bupe allowed me to adjust my lifestyle to where I didn't need to wake up and then use. Life should be a valley with rolling hills. It has its ups and downs. I shouldn't be on cloud 9 24/7. My habit was a gram of ECP daily at its worst. Good luck and sorry for the bump, but I would wait a half life or two after the last dose of loperamide. However, precipitated withdrawal from bupe is much shorter than naltrexone so that might have something to do with it.

What does naltrexone have to do with anything...? We were talking about subutex, which is buprenorphine. Even if it was suboxone, it would be naloxone that was in it as well which is inactive at such low doses anyway so it's irrelevant. He said zero about taking naltrexone..

I don't see why there would be a difference except that with bupe you're already sick when you usually first dose and it's a partial agonist. The precipitated withdrawal likely goes unnoticed while bupe displaces the loperamide at the receptor sites. If you use a full antagonist though you will be in the bathroom for several hours. This was a more a comment for can you experience precipitated withdrawals with loperamide. Sorry if this was the wrong thread.