• ✍️ WORDS ✍️

Welcome Guest!

• Words Moderators: Mysterier

Word of the Day!

^ whoa love this

Chagrin
/cha·grin/

n.

A keen feeling of mental unease, as of annoyance or embarrassment, caused by failure, disappointment, or a disconcerting event.

Poignant
adj.

a. Arousing deep emotion, especially pity or sorrow; touching: a poignant memory; a poignant story.
b. Keenly distressing to the mind or feelings: poignant anxiety.
c. Physically painful: "Keen, poignant agonies seemed to shoot from his neck downward" (Ambrose Bierce).

2. Piercing; incisive: poignant criticism.
3. Agreeably intense or stimulating: "It was a poignant delight to breathe the keen air" (Joseph A. Altsheler).

Acquiescence

noun

1. the act or condition of acquiescing or giving tacit assent; agreement or consent by silence or without objection; compliance (usually followedby to or in): acquiescence to his boss's demands.

2. Law. such neglect to take legal proceedings for such a long time as to imply the abandonment of a right.

Malarkey is ridiculous or meaningless talk. You might feel strongly that your friend's excuses for not coming to your birthday party are just a bunch of malarkey.

You can generally use the word malarkey to mean "nonsense" or "hogwash." If you feel like a classmate is using big, impressive words and speaking in a deliberately complicated way to say something relatively simple, you can dismiss it as malarkey. And one political party might be quick to call an opponent's platform pure malarkey. You can also spell it malarky — both versions are an American invention from the 1920s.

^ Interesting, always learning

BUFFER

Noun

1. an apparatus at the end of a railroad car, railroad track, etc., for absorbing shock during coupling, collisions, etc.

2. any device, material, or apparatus used as a shield, cushion, or bumper, especially on machinery.

3. any intermediate or intervening shield or device reducing the danger of interaction between two machines, chemicals, electronic components,etc.

4. a person or thing that shields and protects against annoyance, harm, hostile forces, etc., or that lessens the impact of a shock or reversal.

5. any reserve moneys, negotiable securities, legal procedures, etc., that protect a person, organization, or country against financial ruin.

6. buffer state.

7. Ecology. an animal population that becomes the prey of a predator that usually feeds on a different species.

Myopia is nearsightedness, which means you see things more clearly that are closer to your eye.

You probably suffer from myopia if you walk into the living room and notice the chair in front of you but not the chair ten feet away. If you have myopia, things farther away look out of focus.

Also, this can mean narrow-mindedness and intolerance. Due to the first kind of myopia, someone might always hold the menu two centimeters from their eyeballs at restaurants. Due to the second kind, someone might avoid people with different opinions from their own.

Right on!
My son has it, unfortunately. I don't get it as none of us have ever had eye problems. I thought it was genetic.

Astigmatism
A common, mild and generally easily treatable imperfection in the curvature of your eye. The condition can cause blurred vision.

I know everyone knows this word but I had never seen it so simple, like the one I posted just now.

Definition of addiction

• 1: the quality or state of being addicted <addiction to reading> (yeah, right!)
  • 2: compulsive need for and use of a habit-forming substance (as heroin, nicotine, or alcohol) characterized by tolerance and by well-defined physiological symptoms upon withdrawal;broadly : persistent compulsive use of a substance known by the user to be harmful.

you'll see the second use a lot in literature as myopic.

Periphrasis: the use of indirect and circumlocutory speech or writing.

When you choose a longer or less straightforward way of saying something, you use periphrasis. One example of periphrasis is describing someone as "more intelligent" instead of "smarter." Choosing a two-word description instead of the one-word equivalent (like "more lengthy" rather than "longer") is one way to use periphrasis.

This also happens when you use a longer phrase, like "give a presentation," instead of a single word that conveys the same meaning, "present." Using many words to describe something instead of a simple noun is also periphrasis: "the mother of my father," for example, instead of "grandmother."

The Greek root, periphrazein, means "speak in a roundabout way."

Clever! ^^ I'll think of a good one and edited in right here. :)

No. Not at all. It was indeed an interested word - so much that I'd need to search a little. ;)

Allonym
A pseudonym which is actually a real name - specifically applying to 'ghostwriting' (where a professional writer writes a book or a newspaper article, etc., by agreement from the person whose name is being used to 'front' the piece) - an allonym also technically refers to the illicit use of another person's name in creating work which purports to be written by the named author, rather like a forger in art.

INFAMOUS

adjective

1.having an extremely bad reputation: an infamous city.

2.deserving of or causing an evil reputation; shamefully malign;detestable.

3.Law.
  • deprived of certain rights as a citizen, as a consequence of conviction of certain offenses.
  • of or relating to offenses involving such deprivation.

[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Amicable
[/FONT]friendly especially regarding an agreement

susurrous

1. full of whispering or rustling sounds.

A dragon in my fantasy world, mute but empathic, was callled Susrrous Song

Empyrean

The adjective empyrean, pronounced "em-PEER-ee-an," can describe a religious idea of heaven. It can also describe the sky itself, or something that is awe-inspiring, like the empyrean beauty of the Himalayas. The phrase the empyrean means "the heavens" or "the sky," or in Greek cosmology, the highest, fiery sphere of heaven, empyros in Greek, and the root of empyrean.

Use the word empyrean when you're talking about the heavens or the sky. You might describe the empyrean curve of the night sky, scattered with stars, particularly if you wanted to sound poetic.

Yes, I could live with that concept. :)

soothing

adjective

• having a gently calming effect.
    "she put on some soothing music"
    • reducing pain or discomfort.
      "almond oil is renowned for its soothing properties"