• ✍️ WORDS ✍️

Welcome Guest!

• Words Moderators: Mysterier

Word of the Day!

Glummy

adjective, gloomier, gloomiest.

1.dark or dim; deeply shaded.

2.causing gloom; dismal or depressing.

3.filled with or showing gloom; sad, dejected, or melancholy.

4.hopeless or despairing; pessimistic:a gloomy view of the future.

prithee
/ˈpriT͟Hē/

exclamation

please (used to convey a polite request).
example:
"prithee, Jack, answer me honestly"

I wonder if this is where we get "pretty please" from..?

Prosaic

adjective
1. commonplace or dull; matter-of-fact or unimaginative.
2. of or having the character or form of prose, the ordinary form of spoken or written language, rather than of poetry.

^ Nice one. I wonder how you find all of these interesting words that define people so precisely.

Laconic

using or involving the use of a minimum of words :concise to the point of seeming rude or mysterious

This is actually one of the appreciated goals in my job.

accordant

adjective

• agreeing or compatible.
    "I found the music accordant with the words of the service"

Jizya or jizyah

(Arabic: جزية‎ ǧizyah IPA: [dʒizja]; Ottoman Turkish: cizye) is a religiously required per capita yearly tax historically levied by Islamic states on certain non-Muslim subjects—dhimmis—permanently residing in Muslim lands under Islamic law.

Magniloquent: speaking in or characterized by a high-flown often bombastic style or manner

Politicians, kings, and actors are all people who might have a tendency toward magniloquence, ornamenting their speech with big words, metaphors, and rhetoric. When someone uses more words than are necessary to get her point across, especially if her tone is pompous or grandiose, she is guilty of magniloquence. The word comes from the Latin magniloquus, "pompous in talk," which combines magnus, "great," and loquus, "speaking."

Origin of OK

Expand
initials of a facetious folk phonetic spelling, e.g., oll or orl korrect representing all correct, first attested in Boston, Massachusetts, in 1839,then used in 1840 by Democrat partisans of Martin Van Buren during his election campaign, who allegedly named their organization, the O.K. Club, in allusion to the initials of Old Kinderhook, Van Buren's nickname, derived from his birthplace Kinderhook, New York.

obnubilate
/äbˈn(y)o͞obəˌlāt/

v.

darken, dim, or cover with or as if with a cloud; obscure.

Prosopagnosia: an inability to recognize the faces of familiar people, typically as a result of damage to the brain.

Prosopagnosia: an inability to recognize the faces of familiar people, typically as a result of damage to the brain.

It has happened more than a few times that I don't recognize people that I should have. We occasionally go to some working dinners and that makes my wife say speechless. It's very embarrassing. But it happens.

Yoga

A Hindu philosophy that teaches a person to experience inner peace by controlling the body and mind.

Proprioception

(prō'prē-ō-sěp'shən) The unconscious perception of movement and spatial orientation arising from stimuli within the body itself. In humans, these stimuli are detected by nerves within the body itself, as well as by the semicircular canals of the inner ear.

synapse
The place where a signal passes from one nerve cell to another;
The point at which a nervous impulse passes from one neuron to another.

Onomatopoeia
(on-uh-mah-tuh-PEE-ah)

In Greek, onomatopoeia simply means "word-making," but in English it refers to a very specific process of word-making: an attempt to capture the sound of something.

Examples of onomatopoeia in English include burble, buzz, slosh, ratatat, and thud. Words created by onomatopoeia can seem totally natural, but they can be surprisingly different from language to language: in Japanese, dogs say wan wan, but in Greek they say gav gav.

Pleonasm

1.the use of more words than are necessary to express an idea;redundancy.

2.an instance of this, as free gift or true fact.

3.a redundant word or expression.