• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Will using a CBD vape interfere with a cannabis tolerance break?

nancy145

Bluelighter
I'm planning on taking a tolerance break from cannabis soon, and I'm wondering if using a CBD vape during it will have an effect on my tolerance.
I'm guessing it wouldn't, but don't really know enough about this topic to be sure.
EDIT: just BTW, I smoke cannabis primarily for recreational reasons, but do get some medicinal benefit from it. I'm trying to take a tolerance break from THC specifically so I can get high off less weed, and want to continue using CBD for medical purposes. My concern is whether CBD has any effect on THC tolerance

Last edited:
Salutations Nancy145,

I'm planning on taking a tolerance break...

Assuming chronic abuse is a likely cause of some people's need to "T-Break" i'd suggest to start examining the prefered consumption method under a microscope, more specially in terms of dose control considering a simple "joint" alone already represents ~300 mg of dry vegetal shreads (hopefully with plenty of noble frosting molecules included)...

...wondering if using a CBD vape...

My preliminary impression is that chronic cannabinoïds abuse still sounds like a mistake, most specially while dealing with THC-centric cannabis (.e.g without any control over THC/CBD ratios) - which paves the way to more potential trouble than dame nature ever called for IMHO.

Here's what i like to view as a "radar" map echoing some obvious side-effect from decades of bigot anti-cannabic prohibitionism:

Briefly put vertical groups are "medical" (CBD) and horizontal ones are "criminal"/"recreative" (THC), which corresponds to the failed "Drugs-Free World" ideology imported via the United Nations by self-serving politicians and similar socio-toxic friends. In The Name Of Children...

Initially 2 main groups gained popularity in underground "Stoner"/"Droÿé" culture, presently facing erasure from all visible environments (e.g. "Cultural Genocide") intended to perpetuate pure VILIFICATION in my province (all non-medical "Bio" can now be considered practically illegal/criminal in Québec and i'm not overly confident of medical sources neither).

Then 2 more clusters appeared when pharmacists/doctors started to gather the eventual value of some non-psychoactive monomolecule as CBD, in a binary universe denying the consumer's natural appeal & appreciation for "entourage effects" (ideally from rich broadrange cannabinoïds release).

It's all most un-naturally occuring, not to mention the "THC-moderating" aspect of CBD doesn't actually translate into truly "balanced" 1:1 ratios: in other words i'd wish for more access to 2:1, 3:1 or even 4:1 THC/CBD varieties clearly left under-explored (both by legal speculator$ + "organized ¢rime") to this day.

In absence of a proper health-wise environment we can only try to alter release profiles through different consumption methods, for example. Etc., etc.

In any case it may prove being a good idea to consider scenarios which don't push abuse as a nearly-automatic conclusion. In comparison each single toke i obtain from my pipe costs a mere equivalent of 20 ~ 30 mg and i can forget the rest where it lies as it cools off quite fast anyway...

YMMV.

Good day, have fun!! ☮

Last edited:
This is an interesting question, OP.

I'm believe that the amount of cross-tolerance is minimal, disproportional and possibly even potentiates itself in very specific instances (possible reverse-tolerance). My own experience with using CBD while not using THC (and then going back to THC) concludes that there is no significant increase or decrease in tolerance, however there is potential. My understanding is that CBD changes the shape of the receptor it's binding to, in turn changing the binding ability of THC to that same receptor site. At worst, if you were to use a lot of CBD and suddenly stop and then switch over to THC, in theory, you will have some rebound effect from your discontinued use of CBD causing the receptor to then receive more THC than you would normally be able to take at once (often leads to an anxious type of high). Again, I believe this cross (and reverse) tolerance is minimal if anything.

tl;dr: You'll be fine

My understanding is that CBD changes the shape of the receptor it's binding to, in turn changing the binding ability of THC to that same receptor site.

Is this true? Of it is that is very interesting.

Is this true? Of it is that is very interesting.
No. It works directly on the TRPV1 receptors, and indirectly on CB1/2 and TRPV1 through mediation of fatty acids.

"CBD has very low affinity for either cannabinoid receptor subtypes cannabinoid receptor type 1 (CB1) and cannabinoid receptor type 2 (CB2)"
It's believed that it's mechanism comes from indirect action on the CB1/2 receptors, as well as direct and indirect action on the TRPV1.
"In addition, CBD has been reported to inhibit both the fatty acid amide hydrolase (FAAH)-mediated degradation of the endogenous cannabinoid ligand, anandamide (Watanabe et al., 1996) and the RBL-2H3 cell anandamide transporter activity (Rakhshan et al., 2000). These findings raised the possibility that some of the above-quoted pharmacological actions of CBD might be due to inhibition of anandamide degradation, with subsequent enhancement of endogenous level of this mediator. Anandamide has been identified as an endogenous cannabinoid CB1 receptor agonist and as ligand for cannabinoid CB2 receptor albeit with low affinity. Another important site at which anandamide acts is the transient receptor potential vanilloid type 1 (TRPV1)"
"Finally, CBD was found to be a full, although weak, agonist of human TRPV1 (Bisogno et al., 2001). Thus, CBD could activate cannabinoid receptors indirectly through anandamide and vanilloid receptors directly and/or indirectly via this endogenous fatty acid amide."

I'm planning on taking a tolerance break from cannabis soon, and I'm wondering if using a CBD vape during it will have an effect on my tolerance.
I'm guessing it wouldn't, but don't really know enough about this topic to be sure.
EDIT: just BTW, I smoke cannabis primarily for recreational reasons, but do get some medicinal benefit from it. I'm trying to take a tolerance break from THC specifically so I can get high off less weed, and want to continue using CBD for medical purposes. My concern is whether CBD has any effect on THC tolerance
Don't worry about people judging you for needing to take a tolerance break. If you like to get super stoned every day and you aren't hurting anyone in the process, more power to you. If you want to take a break so you can get more stoned again, awesome.

It shouldn't provide too much cross tolerance, if much at all. In my post above I describe the basic mechanism of CBD, which differs from that of THC. Although CBD doesn't directly interact much with the CB1/2 receptors, it does increase endogenous levels of cannabinoids, thus likely increasing activity at CB1/2. It won't be near the amount of activity generated by THC, so tolerance will drop and probably drop pretty quickly. I can't say how much or how fast by comparison to being sober, but my guess is that it will drop at relatively the same speed, just won't drop as low as if you were sober.

I stand corrected, although I think Wolf's explanation is a bit of an oversimplification, as that is only one of multiple functions CBD can have, as stated by the prof of pot himself. Those are interesting links though, thanks for providing them. The 2015 study didn't disprove anything, only served to deepen the current understanding.

"Actually, both are correct! CBD can bind both to the orthosteric site (where it acts as an antagonist) and the allosteric site (where it acts as a negative allosteric modulator). But it only binds weakly to the orthosteric site, so it will only act as an antagonist at high CBD concentrations. At typical CBD concentrations, the NAM activity is the most important.

I was trying to keep this explanation of different types of ligands as simple as possible, so I presented the “old fashioned” view of CBD. There really is no simple version of cannabinoids though since they act on so many different targets in different ways. I am writing an entire article on THC & CBD mechanisms where I will explain this more in depth, and then I will copy some of that into this post so that there is no confusion."

" Allosteric modulation, in conjunction with effects not mediated by CB1 receptors, may explain the in vivo effects of cannabidiol" Effects not mediated by CB1 = TRPV1