• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Wierd stuff when tripping

I have given many, many contact highs. In prior years I often ingested psychedelics and went about my day as if I hadn't. Throughout the days, and years, I definitely had many cases where I was sure that it wasn't in my mind. It was most pronounced with my wife and a good friend of ours. Many times they would be unaware I was tripping and stop in the middle of our bike ride and ask me if I was seeing the clouds morphing, he could swear he had just taken LSD but he hadn't. I never told him either, we just had a really fun and crazy rest of the day. The last time I tripped on DOC (DOC gives really strong contact highs), my wife was there but she wasn't on anything but weed, and she was tripping harder than me, she was actually totally emotionally and physically exhausted by it after 48 hours, it took her like a week to get back to semi-normal. I actually think she had a little bit of a difficult experience although it's only a hunch (we're not together anymore). She even had pupil dilation. That was definitely the most extreme case I have experienced.

Nonverbal cues and mirror neurons maybe? I mean, emotionally we pick stuff up from how other people are acting, and there is always placebo (and confirmation bias on the part of the person imparting the contact high)? Yet the phenomena mentioned here are pretty far out. The the capabilities of the human brain (and structural intricacies that create them) continue to flabbergast me like nothing else.

Might revisit this thread and see if I can't unravel some of the yarns y'all are spinnin'.

P.S. Don't forget that pupil dialation can be induced in a myriad of ways,1 not just low lights levels and the consumption of psychoactives.

Sure, if it was only pupil dilation I wouldn't put so much stock in it. I agree, the human brain is amazing and powerful. I have often thought of mirror neurons and just how powerful they are. I believe that some form of telepathy at least is real, as I have experienced it (and not only from psychedelics, also my soon-to-be ex wife and I used to be so close we'd often find ourselves knowing what each other were thinking, we'd even conduct experiments). I do not think this sort of thing (or anything) is "beyond science", I just think we haven't yet figured out how to understand it with science. "Magic" is just what we haven't come to understand yet. Pop back even 50 years and cell phones, the Internet, and other technologies of today that we understand and accept would have seemed otherworldly, and most likely if you told someone about them they'd think you were crazy (especially if you go back even further, 100, 150 years).

Last edited:
I don't know if there is any truth to it, but my father once told me acid trips could be shared by touching because its in your sweat.

I do not think this sort of thing (or anything) is "beyond science", I just think we haven't yet figured out how to understand it with science. "Magic" is just what we haven't come to understand yet. Pop back even 50 years and cell phones, the Internet, and other technologies of today that we understand and accept would have seemed otherworldly.

Agreed

Contact high is a very real phenomenon. I believe highly "suggestable" types of people ( the kind of person who is easily hypnotizable) are the most susceptible but it can happen to anyone. I believe it's not that dissimilar to putting someone in a good mood by yourself being in a fantastic mood (being extremely happy & excited) or putting someone into a bad mood by yourself being miserable. It's sort of herd mentality were sometimes people feel the need to be in a similar state of mind as those around them.
It's possible that mass hysteria and mass halicinations ( where some groups of people see UFOs and others see angels at the same sighting) is possibly related to what's going on with the "contact high" situation. I've never ever got a psychedelic experience by being around someone who's been tripping but I have frequently experienced massive boosts and drops in my mood by being around certain people who either " light up the room" or "suck the last drop of happiness from you" just with their presence.
Its a very interesting topic and says a lot about our need to be social creatures. This all just speculation of course! I really don't know for sure but I definitely believe being around a person in a specific mindset can have an effect on those their around.

Last edited:
I agree, I think it has to do with our social nature. Our brains are wired to pick up on the mental states of others. Perhaps for some it can be taken to an extreme (ie, seeing visuals from someone else's trip). It's definitely interesting that it happened primarily with 2 people, both of whom I was close to (and the most with my wife, the closest person to me of any person).

there is no such thing as a contact high. it was in your head mate. anyone that tells you they have given a contact high, guess what? it was in there head as well.

sorry to disappoint.

I agree 1000% The only true "contact high" possible is when you have ACTUAL contact with the drugs...For instance, vaped drugs, weed, DMT(maybe), could allow that on a small scale, but making someone trip due to your proximity to them is nonsensical.

Where is your brain and how can we access it. teeheheeh.
Seriously though man, if you can do this, think happy thoughts and help heal the World.

I agree 1000% The only true "contact high" possible is when you have ACTUAL contact with the drugs...For instance, vaped drugs, weed, DMT(maybe), could allow that on a small scale, but making someone trip due to your proximity to them is nonsensical.

You think I'm lying then, or imagining that my wife and friend have experienced visuals while only smoking weed and having no idea I was tripping?

It's not nonsensical, it's just something science hasn't come to understand yet.

For the record I wouldn't believe it either if I hadn't experienced it many times firsthand.

^ Vibes, man. I think it would be silly to deny that humans can share emotions, and on drugs our emotions become pronounced to a degree that makes it extremely easy for people to read and empathise with them.

Sure, I accept that. Vibes. What does that mean, and what are humans capable of influencing in each other with vibes? Evidently visuals. I wonder what we will discover in the future, what will eventually become part of what we "know" and accept through science?

So I did a dose of acid at a music festival a few months back and somthing weird happened I had a friend there with me that doesnt do any acid and he wasnt tripping at all but around the time I was peaking, when my friend would come close to me, he and I would go into a trance together for a second then we would pull away from eachother and he would b in a full blow acid trip for a lil while without tripping it was like he was tripping just from being around me but when are heads would get close they would b pulled together like magnets and we would go into this trance and when we would come out of it he would b tripping harder and it was like this for about an hour I had other friends there that were on acid so it was like he was picking up on everyones vibe but mainly mine and he would b tripping to without doing anything he was seeing the same visuals and everything we were seeing but he would only go into the trance when he came close to me thats what was weird and i was going in the trances all night until my acid wore off I always heard of people linking trips but never like this had it happened to me it was the craziest thing bcuz he wasnt on anything. Can anyone give me any incite on what we experienced or has anyone else experienced something like this? I would love to hear some opinions

Yeah I've observed this too. Me and my brother were on shrooms, and my other brother who was relatively sober (just a bit drunk) came home and he said he was tripping just sitting around the table with us. I think Tim Leary did an experiment on this, can't remember the details.

I can personally attest to this contact high being real. I do not know how, but like many of you have already said on this thread; the human brain is a powerful powerful thing. All that these trillions of substances do is trigger our brain. Truely an amazing thing that this all exists

I know I read a very relevant study back in late 2007 to early 2008, but I cannot find it.

Here's a pretty cool article: Chimpanzees Show a Developmental Increase in Susceptibility to Contagious Yawning: A Test of the Effect of Ontogeny and Emotional Closeness on Yawn Contagion

And I'll throw in some tangential stuff. I kinda just threw down the links, intending to cull them, but now Imma feelin' lazy. Hopefully they're all interesting.
Brain wave synchronization and entrainment to periodic acoustic stimuli.
Are emotions contagious? Evoked emotions while viewing emotionally expressive faces: quality, quantity, time course and gender differences.
Prosody and synchronization in cognitive neuroscience

Random mirror neuron junk:
Imitation, Empathy, and Mirror Neurons
What imitation tells us about social cognition: a rapprochement between developmental psychology and cognitive neuroscience
Neural mechanisms of imitation and 'mirror neuron' functioning in autistic spectrum disorder.

xork said:
I believe that some form of telepathy at least is real

Telepathy is a terrible word, and I have trouble imagining it as anything but absurd. The term connotes direct contact, yet all of our senses gather information from the outside world indirectly (e.g. reflected light, movements in air particles), how is direct mental contact probable when there is no known mechanism to transmit or receive this data? Our innate capacity for empathy & mimicry, facilitated by known sense organs, seems a more promising area to explore, IMO.

Last edited:
Sure, I'm fine with not calling it telepathy. I believe there is a scientific explanation for it, as well as for contact highs and other phenomena, and some day we will understand the mechanisms and processes. Some form of perception of the state of mind and even thoughts of others is possible, whether it be because of electromagnetic waves or mirror neurons or empathy or some other mechanism we haven't touched on yet. I believe this because I have experienced varying degrees of both, multiple times, and I have to accept the reality of those experiences.

^He has not claimed that he can willfully transfer his high onto someone else.

I don't think anything that far-fetched has been mentioned in the anecdotes here. IMO, we have cases where collective behavior is the root cause, and we have cases where classical conditioning seems like a plausible culprit. That this can manifest so unintentionally, and be likened to the consumption of psychoactives, is some far out stuff, I imagine that there's serious involuntary nonverbal communication going on.

I am tentatively thinking of it like kundalini syndrome or the qi-gong psychotic reaction, there's something real happening, but people can only resort to folklore to express and explain the phenomena in question, until scientific inquiry gives us an empirical understanding of the matter.

xork said:
ex wife and I used to be so close we'd often find ourselves knowing what each other were thinking

The study I can't find was about this sorta thing.

Last edited:
I can personally attest to this contact high being real. I do not know how, but like many of you have already said on this thread; the human brain is a powerful powerful thing. All that these trillions of substances do is trigger our brain. Truely an amazing thing that this all exists

Likewise, and just like xorkoth, I have been in many situations tripping (without telling anyone) and found those around me showing the classic signs of psychedelic intoxication. In my experience contact highs seem to take place more profoundly when the people around you have not been explicitly told that you are tripping.

I understand people's scepticism on this one - I'd probably be right there with you calling bullshit on this phenomena - but having unquestionably observed it taking place, I think there is more going on here than our (highly repressed for the last ~50 years) studies of psychedelic drugs have yet been able to discover....yet.
Hopefully when mankind is ready to embrace psychedelic consciousness as a legitimate tool, further scientific research will help elucidate this matter.

^ Same kind of thing as group hallucinations IMO. Weird shit does happen but it's more the power of suggestion (you don't have to explicitly tell some one something just act a little out of character) and perhaps some slightly skewed perspective on the past of the tripper enhances the impact of otherwise slightly out of character antics of your friends. Like the guy (inexperienced or no experience smoker) who gets stoned smoking basil and everyone else has been smoking bud.

^ the instance that springs to mind for me was turning up to a rehearsal studio to practice with my band, having just eaten about 50 grams of fresh p.cubensis.
I didnt act out of character; I usually rock up to rehearsal stoned or go out for a joint halfway through or whatever.
My bandmates at that time did not use psychedelics with any regularity (if at all). The signs to them would not have been obvious - I was playing it cool, set up my equipment and started playing.
I didnt say much - nothing to give myself away, or to create an atmosphere of 'psillyness' or trippy behaviour.
I've played in bands for years - I just set up and did what I always do.
No silly grins or confused fumbling - i behaved as deliberately coherent as I could manage; and as an experienced tripper, and long-time working musician, this was no problem. I'd just caught a cab there, and the process of making small talk to the cabbie and negotiating paying the fare had loosened me up somewhat in regards to "acting straight"

Throughout the rehearsal, every member of the band (except me) displayed classic signs of psychedelic behaviour.
The bass player commented "I can't stop laughing" when nothing was particularly funny, the drummer was clowning around and mentioned that he couldn't feel his hands, while the singer spent an inordinate time making strange noises through the PA and getting tangled in the mic cable.
I was the most "sober" person in the room, yet I was tripping pretty fucking hard.
It was a really strange sensation, and not one I put down to suggestion (none of these people had taken mushrooms, or knew that I had dosed before rehearsal) or my own warped perception.
The rehearsal room scenario was very familiar - a weekly occurance - and the way my friends behaviour was extremely out of character, very reminiscent of a bunch of trippers - and I just sat back and watched.
It was quite surreal, and not the only time I've experienced so-called 'contact highs' - just an example that stands out to me.

I can think of instances where sober people have been swept up in the excitable hysteria of tripping friends, but this was no such occasion. It was a fucking trip, but not in a way I couldn't "get my head around" or that caused confusion.
It was just extremely interesting - and remains so to this day.

The "magic" of psychedelics? You bet! Until scientific studies into such occurrences are able to be undertaken in objective scenarios, I'm happy to ponder on the great mystery of this one.
Placebo is a powerful thing - but lacking any form of suggestion that a substance has been taken, I don't see how it can account for contact highs. There is beauty in such mysteries, to me anyway.

Last edited: