View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Wierd stuff when tripping

WVstoned

Greenlighter
So I did a dose of acid at a music festival a few months back and somthing weird happened I had a friend there with me that doesnt do any acid and he wasnt tripping at all but around the time I was peaking, when my friend would come close to me, he and I would go into a trance together for a second then we would pull away from eachother and he would b in a full blow acid trip for a lil while without tripping it was like he was tripping just from being around me but when are heads would get close they would b pulled together like magnets and we would go into this trance and when we would come out of it he would b tripping harder and it was like this for about an hour I had other friends there that were on acid so it was like he was picking up on everyones vibe but mainly mine and he would b tripping to without doing anything he was seeing the same visuals and everything we were seeing but he would only go into the trance when he came close to me thats what was weird and i was going in the trances all night until my acid wore off I always heard of people linking trips but never like this had it happened to me it was the craziest thing bcuz he wasnt on anything. Can anyone give me any incite on what we experienced or has anyone else experienced something like this? I would love to hear some opinions

This is a highly known but not very well understood phenomenon called 'contact high' and is highly powerful at times. I have not experienced it myself personally from my memory, but I have had sober/drunk friends start tripping when they joined the environment we were tripping in. Sometimes they do weirder stuff than the people who actually consumed the drug, especially if the trip situation is conductive to shared thoughts.

Your OP has the longest sentence I have ever seen.8o Punctuation is your friend. :)

I have given many, many contact highs. In prior years I often ingested psychedelics and went about my day as if I hadn't. Throughout the days, and years, I definitely had many cases where I was sure that it wasn't in my mind. It was most pronounced with my wife and a good friend of ours. Many times they would be unaware I was tripping and stop in the middle of our bike ride and ask me if I was seeing the clouds morphing, he could swear he had just taken LSD but he hadn't. I never told him either, we just had a really fun and crazy rest of the day. The last time I tripped on DOC (DOC gives really strong contact highs), my wife was there but she wasn't on anything but weed, and she was tripping harder than me, she was actually totally emotionally and physically exhausted by it after 48 hours, it took her like a week to get back to semi-normal. I actually think she had a little bit of a difficult experience although it's only a hunch (we're not together anymore). She even had pupil dilation. That was definitely the most extreme case I have experienced.

Last edited:
there is no such thing as a contact high. it was in your head mate. anyone that tells you they have given a contact high, guess what? it was in there head as well.

sorry to disappoint.

wtf how is that physically possible ? tottaly strong placebo effect seems to me . sometimes when im headed to buy speed i start to feel the speed rush long before i buy it thats a called ecxitment
i also felt that im getting trippy when i drink alcohol or weed or combined or when im getting very excited at music or when im about to have sex or while im having it tottaly hits me like acid half a 70- 100ug blotter

never underestimate the power of your brain its the brain which takes you to places not the acid

He was chatting his tits off on MD and I was completely sober, lying in bed. We were close and getting deep into his thoughts and insecurities when it happened. I started gurning uncontrollably. Now, when I gurn you can tell. It's so obvious, so obvious in fact that he noticed. I was 100% completely sober, hadn't touched the stuff in months. I also empathised with him completely. Sure we have been friends for over 15 very close years but this was something extra. I brought it up, told him what was happening and apparently he felt the exact same thing when we did the reverse - me rolling, him sober.

I also uncontrollably smile and get a bit of jaw tension when those special sets come on that you know you've rolled to so I'm sure contact highs are possible, but are deeply engrained in your brain - associations to memories or experiences being brought up from the depths of your psyche.

I'm telling you, it's possible, I don't know why, but it is. Shulgin experiences it in PiHKAL too. Believe me or not, I get why you wouldn't. Life is full of mysteries.

I'm telling you, it's possible, I don't know why, but it is. Shulgin experiences it in PiHKAL too. Believe me or not, I get why you wouldn't. Life is full of mysteries.

I try to keep an open mind about these things, and consider as many explanations as I can. Contact highs could be caused by at least one of two things:

1) Subconscious cues. Dilated pupils, slight behavioral changes, a change in body odor... all these things *might* cause a receptive person to pick up and emulate their fellow's experience.
2) Telepathy. The OP mentioned close proximity as being a factor in his & his friend's experience. If telepathy is caused by shared electromagnetic energy between individuals, then proximity would indeed play a major role (see my post here).

There was also a "Kissing on Psychedelics" thread somewhere, with people mentioning how their visuals intensified during intimacy. It could be another clue to a natural truth we're all on the verge of discovering :) (Or, I could just be a crackpot.)

LOL @the title :)

These "contact highs" are no doubt real, I've experienced them myself (never to the extent described above), and so many other people have as well, but the question is, do they come about because of some phenomena that already fit into our current understanding of physics/biology/psychology, or is there some "magic" that we don't really understand yet?

Kind of expanding on ideas already mentioned in this thread:

When you trip on a drug, it's not exactly the drug itself producing the mental states, it is your own physical brain anatomy, your own mind being coaxed into that state by the effects of the drug on your neuroreceptors, causing some areas and classes of neurons to fire more, other areas to become less active, feedback happening and so on. The shape of our brain networks is in place already to experience these states, and it's possible for our minds could go to that same mental configuration without drugs.

Maybe a contact high comes about because we pick up on subtle physical cues from the people around us? Simple things, like the way a person is breathing, talking, moving, holding their posture, pacing their speech, could all become reflected in the sober persons mind, and stimulate a similar mental space. One characteristic of our brain is that we have these "mirror networks" that allow us to see things from others' perspectives. This helps us learn, and feel empathy. Perhaps all of these physical cues can become mirrored to such an extent that it provokes the non-drugged brain to adopt a similar pattern of neurons firing as to the person/people who are tripping. If the person receiving the contact high has tripped before, it must be even easier for the mind to go there.

But maybe there really is some far out physics that we don't understand yet, related to telepathy, precognition, etc. There have been some pretty provocative studies into precognition that imply there are big mysteries about how the mind works, that can't be understood with current models.

Yeah, to be clear I wasn't saying it had to be something magical, well, what is magic anyway except something to describe that which do not yet understand? They would have said the Internet was magical before the technology existed to make it so. Satellite communication, cell phones... all could easily be considered magic if one was not used to them. But anyway, I'm sure it has to do with some aspects of current physics/laws of nature that we either do or do not yet understand. I am forever convinced they're real though, I have experienced too many times that it was undeniable to think otherwise. I have experienced receiving light contact highs as well which are more easily explained, ie, you're around people with tripping energy and you have tripped, and their energy, attitude and behaviors begin to affect your own. I do believe in some cases there are more factors than just however, whatever they are. The fact is that quite a number of times I have caused people unaware I was tripping to have visuals. I can't deny those experiences or the implications from them.

LOL @the title :)

These "contact highs" are no doubt real, I've experienced them myself (never to the extent described above), and so many other people have as well, but the question is, do they come about because of some phenomena that already fit into our current understanding of physics/biology/psychology, or is there some "magic" that we don't really understand yet?

Kind of expanding on ideas already mentioned in this thread:

When you trip on a drug, it's not exactly the drug itself producing the mental states, it is your own physical brain anatomy, your own mind being coaxed into that state by the effects of the drug on your neuroreceptors, causing some areas and classes of neurons to fire more, other areas to become less active, feedback happening and so on. The shape of our brain networks is in place already to experience these states, and it's possible for our minds could go to that same mental configuration without drugs.

Maybe a contact high comes about because we pick up on subtle physical cues from the people around us? Simple things, like the way a person is breathing, talking, moving, holding their posture, pacing their speech, could all become reflected in the sober persons mind, and stimulate a similar mental space. One characteristic of our brain is that we have these "mirror networks" that allow us to see things from others' perspectives. This helps us learn, and feel empathy. Perhaps all of these physical cues can become mirrored to such an extent that it provokes the non-drugged brain to adopt a similar pattern of neurons firing as to the person/people who are tripping. If the person receiving the contact high has tripped before, it must be even easier for the mind to go there.

But maybe there really is some far out physics that we don't understand yet, related to telepathy, precognition, etc. There have been some pretty provocative studies into precognition that imply there are big mysteries about how the mind works, that can't be understood with current models.
great input there Perp , it acctually very possible but thats the placebo effect actually the more you belive in something to happen the more you get it get real

srry to disappoint but it happened

wtf how is that physically possible ? tottaly strong placebo effect seems to me . sometimes when im headed to buy speed i start to feel the speed rush long before i buy it thats a called ecxitment
i also felt that im getting trippy when i drink alcohol or weed or combined or when im getting very excited at music or when im about to have sex or while im having it tottaly hits me like acid half a 70- 100ug blotter
never underestimate the power of your brain its the brain which takes you to places not the acid

There was no placebo here bud i know all about that, my friend did get a contact high from me and im sure of it because he even started to freak out a little bit because he had never experienced something like that. Now why would a complete sober person freak out for no reason or let me guess he just thought he was tripping by coming close to me. I guess he was just hallucinated the hallucinations lmao get out of here with that placebo bs I know all about the placebo effect and it was not the case here not even close like you said never underestimate the power of the brain or should I say the soul

there is no such thing as a contact high. it was in your head mate. anyone that tells you they have given a contact high, guess what? it was in there head as well.

To be fair, all drug experiences (actually all experiences in general) occur 'in your head'. Contact high is real, its called empathy. :)

Looking at earlier work, such as Lewis Carroll, you get the impression nothing prevents these experiences from occurring without LSD.

The feeling of magnetic attraction is a common enough phenomena and can be produced through manipulation.

Empathizing is also easily reproduced. We may derive the feelings of athleticism after watching performers or feel intelligent after listening to a lecture, but still be unable to do the work.

It may also be bio-feedback. Someone else mentioned this. Being close to your head was acting as a placebo. The explanation had nothing to do with proximity to your head.

What was your friend able to experience?

Last edited:
What about when the person who experienced a contact high has no idea you are on anything?

What about when the person who experienced a contact high has no idea you are on anything?
You believe you can influence the minds if others, causing them to see visuals? Are you then conscious of them seeing the visuals?

I believe it because it has been reported to me anecdotally in a number of occasions, I wasn't aware of it until I was told. I wouldn't have thought it was possible otherwise, other than the easily explainable shift in mind state you could get from knowing someone was tripping and hanging out with them. I described it earlier in this thread. For example: I was on DOC, tripping moderately, with crawling visuals. I was on an extended bike ride with my friend, and I had not mentioned anything about being on drugs (we had smoked marijuana together though). We were doing our own thing for a while, riding somewhat apart. At some point my friend was ahead of me and stopped in a clearing and looked up at the clouds for a few minutes. I walked up beside him when I caught up, and he said to me "man, I could swear I dropped acid, I feel so high, and the clouds are morphing all around, do you see that too? What the hell?". I never did tell him either, I used to often take psychedelics (functional doses) and hang out with people and not mention it, because I didn't want them to treat me differently and was interested in the whole scenario. Telling would have defeated the purpose and also served no point and might have been awkward.

It would happen all the time with my wife (I never told her when I was on drugs because she didn't like it - with her way more than with anyone else), and also with certain friends. In other words people close to me.

Experiences like these have indicated to me that such a thing is possible, because I don't see any other way to explain it. The evidence is what developed my opinion on the matter.

The brain is the most powerful thing on this planet. The human brain is what makes society, intellect to revolution and have cars, phones. Really amazing technology advances...I guess if we get more intellectual we can do anything..but until evolution and several years pass we will be stuck with how life is now, unless maybe acid unlocks chambers in the brain that. Give us power/intellect to be able to learn and slowly make telepathy real or whatever we wanna do?

The world around us has lots of amazing creatures and if it were possible I can almost guarantee you would find it already being used somewhere. You may only need to open your mind to what it might look like.