• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Why make tar?

jdizzle

Bluelighter
I was just wondering about everyone's ideas on why the mexicans choose to make tar instead of powdered H. I know it is the result of a shortcut in the manufacturing process, but I have been reading up and producing powder isn't very hard. it would seem that powder has more benefits:
-more potent
-easier to cut
-easier to smuggle (less volume)
-easier to deal with (not sticky)

So what are the benefits of tar?

Basically I am in the SF bay area, and SWIM is sick of only getting tar and hearing about everyone else getting the bomb powder.:X

You said it yourself, they take a shortcut. What seems like a small step to you can realy add up when you are producing mass quantities.

i wouldn't mind a little tar to smoke with my powder ;)

If it adds up then why doesn't everyone else skip the step also? Tradition?
It also seems like if a mexican cartel, made powder and shipped it thru their normal channels they would have a competitive edge on the tar sellers.

Tar and powder have different pharmacological profiles, as the other compounds found in tar that is abscent in powder (6-mam as well as other unwanted by-products) creates different reactions. Powder is generally more potent and has a stronger rush, but the high does not last long. The rush from tar is not always as pronounced, but does last longer. Hardened tar users sometimes will prefer tar because it does not require the repeat dosing that powder does.

And yes, "la m", the mexican mob, has a stranglehold over the west coast........

I guess I just need a vacation to the east. Either that or I will start a petition and send it to the mexicans.:p

for europeans, does any european guy ever try mexican tar? how it compare to european brown powder aka Brown Sugar

the northeast gets various brown/tan/white powdered dope. you don't need to go all the way to europe for it ;)

negrogesic said:
Tar and powder have different pharmacological profiles, as the other compounds found in tar that is abscent in powder (6-mam as well as other unwanted by-products) creates different reactions. Powder is generally more potent and has a stronger rush, but the high does not last long. The rush from tar is not always as pronounced, but does last longer. Hardened tar users sometimes will prefer tar because it does not require the repeat dosing that powder does.

And yes, "la m", the mexican mob, has a stranglehold over the west coast........

I have boughten tar from the mexicans in the west. It is the only form of heroin I have seen over here, yet I've heard of "china white" which could be fentanyl, or crap.

or good heroin since thats the color of pure...u are way more likely to get some white(cut OR pure) heroin than you are a fentanyl analague.

most true to life junkies (IV) will let you know they strongly prefer tar over powder - in terms of past personal experiences with whichever substance gets one more "fucked up."

because i live in europe:) btw, why junkies says that prefer tar over the powder? is here someone who shoot both types of H? who can say a word about the difference, thanks

krysdjcodeine said:
for europeans, does any european guy ever try mexican tar? how it compare to european brown powder aka Brown Sugar

Never done TAR, Live in Sweden ... the only Heroin whe got is
Brown and Pure White ... no TAR, never seen TAR in Sweden !
But i whould love to taste the power of TAR someday!

TAR...

Good to see you Negro, hope you are well...

As for Europeans producing "Tar," not actually European but...In New Zealand they have traditionally not had a whole lot of access to heroin so they have come up with some close alternatives. Most have heard of "Homebake." In alot of "Homebake" the final yield is "Tar." It is produced via a different scheme but the crucial acetylation temp is idenitcal to the Mexican method. The end result is a gooey, amber to black tar that technically qualifies as diacetylmorphine,"heroin."

As to why Mexicans do it...they have not always done it. "Tar " did not begin appearing on a widescale until the early to mid 80s. Before it was almost always the crude brown powder known as "Mexican Mud." Mexicans seem to be just taking advantage of a couple of things.

Mexican heroin really did not have any real market until WWII. During the war almost all imports ceased. As a result, some entrpeneurs took advantage and started exporting a 3 to 4% [raw mind you] gooey to powder product. Hey, when it is all you can get...After the war, a Jewish dealer from NYC named Schwartz imported some French chemists to Mexico and set up shop. for 3 years or so they were producing some of the best heroin in the world.

Gradually, local producers began to take matters into their own hands and developed the recipe for "Mud." Mud is technically #4 but neglects soem important , but not crucial, steps. The result was always a comparitively impure powdered brown product.

By the end of the 7Os some shrap pencil got the idea to just sip the intermediate conversion to morphine. Voila! "Tar" is born.

As to why they persist, actually they are finally starting to produce high quality white on their own [only took over half a century], they apparently recognize the advantage in a higher quality product.

As for the tar vs. powder potency question, my information comes from the DEA micrograms. It seems like the tar that is being smuggled in ranges from 20-40% purity while the powder is 60-85%. Now its obviously different when it hits the streets.

The only powder I've seen was what they called chiva and it came from black people, while the tar came from a people. Cant really say which is better both range from ok to good, to really fucking good, unfortunately it stops there.

Last edited:
Don't know where u are but tar is called chiva in CA. U can make it into a pseudo-powder by mixing it with pills.