Why is the European rave scene so much better than the American (IMO)?

I live in Central Florida.. and in the 90's we had the best "rave" scene going in the US easily.. our music is definitely different than the stuff that you guys have linked in this thread.. we were all about the funky breaks and deep bass (Miami influence there I am sure)

Recently tho I have noticed a serious comeback in Central FL.. it just isn't in your face like it was in the 90's.. you have to find it.. you can't just go to any record store and pick up a handful of flyers like you could back then.. Personally I got back into it a couple months ago when a good DJ friend died.. all the sudden I was reconnected with people I used to party with in my mid 20's and now there are parties to go to every weekend if I have time..

I personally don't like much of the new "EDM" (We never called it that heh) I am all about the old school anthems that we have all heard 1000 times.. but to each his own I guess.

freestyle was always big in FL

bass music is still fun, in measured doses, for me

:)

If you look up Sharaz on Youtube you will see the music I am talking about.. He had something to do with most of the best tracks.. man is a genius eh.. it is almost top 40 rave music lol.. They even used to play it on the radio after midnight in Tampa.

yeah, to each his own

hardstyle is kiddie music to me: fast, loud, obnoxious

funky tech house on the minimal tip is more to my taste when I wanna work it out

yeah, to each his own

hardstyle is kiddie music to me: fast, loud, obnoxious

funky tech house on the minimal tip is more to my taste when I wanna work it out

I listened to a few of the tracks you posted in the other thread.. all was good stuff that I would listen too.

I definitely wouldn't call what I listen to Hardstyle.. or kiddie stuff lol.. plenty of late 30-early 40's in Florida would not want the music we listened to back in the day called "kiddie stuff" heh.

if i am looking at the right guy on youtube it sounds like breaks... breaks seems like it's just become non existent in the states now, especially after the whole EDM wave hit. but i still enjoy it.

if i am looking at the right guy on youtube it sounds like breaks... breaks seems like it's just become non existent in the states now, especially after the whole EDM wave hit. but i still enjoy it.

It is coming back in Florida right now.. most of the Breaks in the US originated in FL (Tampa mostly) until the big raids at Turtle Club and Fantasy Ranch in like 2003 or something like that.. The people who were making it went on to other stuff.. there are a few of them making music again now.. just no one has really done any new vocal tracks recently ($$) so nothing incredible has hit yet.. it will soon I am sure.

And yea you are probably looking at the right one.. there are only a handful of us left :)

My apologies. I was really responding to the notion that the hardstyle scene in Europe trumps all.

I used to really like really hard techno/tech-house when I was getting twisted on a regular! I do get the whole bpm thing in relation to stimulant use.

I smoke trees more than anything else now, and slow heavy bass music is a great compliment to that chillaxed feeling.

:)

America is so conservative, and lots of the people here are substance driven because they're taught that these things are bad because they make you feel much too good, so the enticement gets really high. Now we're seeing an epidemic of MDMA use (I love MDMA, but I can rave without it) and people are starting to notice that not much of the love is exactly natural and the scene is slowly starting to get dirtier and dirtier. Thats how I see it at least, especially down here in Florida.

I think the reason the scene is dirtier than it was in the past is because of all the Opiates down here in FL personally.. Doctors hand that garbage out like candy down here.. I had 2 back surgeries that turned into a 3 year addiction to them.. I have it under control now.. MDMA makes people feel the love that is in them for sure.. but if you run into bad people the MDMA isn't going to hide how bad/sketchy they are.. All these more hard/addictive drugs in circulation right now are the real problem imo.. That and all the bunkers trying to sell the pink crystals as MDxx (which are really Methylone.. had some tested)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freetekno

Because it's about the music. Not about how you look or dress, what your observations/opinions are, which drugs you take or how many you can take, who your friends are, do you love the music? COME PARTY!

i've also noticed there tends to be an older crowd that goes to "raves" (mostly acid/techno), usually 30+ and it's not uncommon to see 40-50+ year olds :). I've even met people in their sixties on psytrance/goa's! I like this a lot.

I'm quite passionate about all the music that comes from here, I don't see it as parties but rather as concerts :)

Live music/vinyl sets

Algorythm_duracell_enzo_pk_zinix_zbomb_sound6tems.jpg

^also this, it's common that the DJ isn't visible, just speakers.

Isn't the gaslamp killer from Cali? DAT BREAKCOOOORRREEEEEE

Also DJ Godfather :)... I'd love to go to detroit and party my ass off

Last edited:
Last edited:
seems like everyone from the US is on this whole progressive electro-trap house bandwagon today. saw Rusko two days ago and he was phenomenal. breaks, DnB, dub, Dubstep, and all sorts of good stuff. Saw someone else the following day and everyone had the same sets with no progression. 3 acts, 5 hours, and the same shit each set. Just got too predictable and boring for me to care. used a bunch of tunes with that generic electro/progressive house "epic"-like drop with some trap and generic dubstep that all sounded the same throughout. overall just really poor progression and no movement throughout. just way too predictable... on top of that, i also saw the basic "stand up on the stage with your hands in the air and let the CD play behind you" move...

the UK motherfuckers are doing it right. c'mon USA, get off of this fucking bandwagon, get your fucking heads out of the fucking gutter and bring the wow-factor back to the scene. aside from jam bands only a few guys from the US electronic music scene are really worth seeing and everyone else now seems to be just generic and a waste of fucking time and money. It's like I see the same set done every single night. starting to appreciate the jam band scene sooo much more.

Last edited:
There just came out an article about the rave scene in Amsterdam/Netherlands and how it has evolved the past 25+ years, was a very interesting read, definetly worthwhile to translate to English but seeing as this forum doesn't see much traffic i'm only bothering if a few of you decide to post and are interested.

Cheers:)

/\I'd be interested.

Don't know how I forgot about Dieselboy one of the few excellent American DnB DJs...

Last edited:
idk but im sick of the terrible crowds in NY. I live here and most of the shows i go to are overcrowded with underage kids who pass out in front of you. however, that doesnt stop me from going to the shows. lol havent been able to go overseas to witness a show but it looks pretty damn good on youtube! one day fingers crossed.

i refuse to go to shows when I'm in NY because of the fear that everyone will be a "jersey-shore wannabe" guido douchebag and ruin the entire aspect of community. no thank you...