• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Heroin Why is heroin more addicting than oxycodone?

GetMeOutOfThisCRAP

Bluelighter
Obviously I'm asking a totally subjective question, however I wanted to hear several opinions on the matter. Some people state that oxycodone and heroin are one and the same, while others adamantly warn everyone to never switch to H. I think it's more than a price differentiation, because heroin itself seems to promote perpetual redosing and users appear to lose themselves far more financially/mentally/physically in the heroin game. It also seems to be the hardest substance to quit statistically iirc. I've been wondering why such a hardcore downer would be more appealing in comparison to the stimulating effects that most opioids possess. Some people also surprisingly state that oxycodone withdrawal is mentally way worse than heroin withdrawal. Any thoughts?

because heroin doesn’t come in a pill with 30mgs, no more, no less. with dope, your dose slowly changes without you noticing. if you take a 30 and it doesn’t get you right, you know you’re making a choice.

It has nothing to do with the difference in feeling between the two substances? I know H is stronger but some find it more euphoric (I made it a point to never dabble in meth or heroin), but I've had a good friend some time who made the switch and completely lost himself. He was totally functional on only pills beforehand

What evidence have you got to suggest that oxy is less addictive than h?

Worry about actually substantiating that claim before trying to understand why it might be true imo.

Worry about actually substantiating that claim before trying to understand why it might be true imo.
As far as I know they are pretty much the same in terms of addiction potential.

Love the Rush and Ritual of IV Heroin use.

That and it's more sedating nature than Oxycodone, but different strokes for different folks. I take Oxy more frequently these days as it's so risky to buy Heroin these days. Seems like it's just a role of the dice if it's too much Fentanyl and it kills you off. But if I could get clean and pure Heroin of choose that everytime.

Last edited:
Heroin has more of the “rush” it seems that people love.
That first “hit”.
When the drug is first injected.

I, myself hate that “rush” feeling. I have had it from getting i.v opiates at the hospital before.
I don’t know how anyone could enjoy that pins and needles morphine rush.
Yet they do.

I spend my life trying to avoid those feelings.
They feel the same to me as when I am about to pass out from Hypoglycemia/narcolepsy.
It makes me panic.

Heroin has more of the “rush” it seems that people love.
That first “hit”.
When the drug is first injected.

I, myself hate that “rush” feeling. I have had it from getting i.v opiates at the hospital before.
I don’t know how anyone could enjoy that pins and needles morphine rush.
Yet they do.

I spend my life trying to avoid those feelings.
They feel the same to me as when I am about to pass out from Hypoglycemia/narcolepsy.
It makes me panic.
it seems from experience heroin is made for compulsive redosing I find it near impossible not to compulsively redose as I was telling my keyworker who is helping me quit I smoke it all either until it's gone or I pass out or I get raided by the feds

Last edited:
it seems from experience heroin is made for compulsive redosing I find it near impossible not to compulsively record as I was telling my keyworker who is helping me quit I smoke it all either until it's gone or I pass out or I get raided by the feds

That sucks that it is so “ compulsive’.
That seems to be the main difference.
It is like cocaine in a way then huh?

Good luck with the quitting.
We are here for you.
Support you.
This is not impossible
you can do it.
❤️

That sucks that it is so “ compulsive’.
That seems to be the main difference.
It is like cocaine in a way then huh?

Good luck with the quitting.
We are here for you.
Support you.
This is not impossible
you can do it.
thanks it does mean a lot it's actually makes a difference(for me) knowing that people are interested and caring about me

how you doing in your part of the world PO? I believe you originally took opiates for chronic/pain like me to?

I care brother. I really do.
let me know if you ever need anything.

I am still on MS Contin for chronic pain.
I have been on the same dosage for 12 years.
So, I think that is the best I can hope for, is to hold steady.
I have added gabapentin and took away Ambien and this combination is helping me to feel a lot better!
I am actually having times of feeling like my old self again!

Of course no drug is officially more addicting than another drug. It's all based on the user.

However, from what I've witnessed people struggle with quitting heroin more than anything I've ever seen. I've known people to quit opioids and they definitely have relapsed during the quitting process, but when it comes to heroin I only know people who have quit through long-term Suboxone use or methadone. They were not able to stop using heroin like I've known people to stop using oxycodone. I don't know anyone who has willingly quit heroin like I do with folks who have willingly quit oxycodone (without subs or methadone treatment).

Also, people seem to be able to hold onto oxycodone stashes and stagnate their use so they can avoid withdrawal. When it comes to heroin use, I've never known anyone be able to save it for a rainy day. They go through their entire H stash in a day and then go back into withdrawal. There's seemingly something more compulsive about heroin and the desire to redone over and over again--hence why I think it's more addictive.

I was just asking why heroin seems more addictive for most people, but obviously oxycodone is in itself extremely addictive too. I've also seen a plethora of people state that making the switch from oxycodone to heroin was their biggest life mistake. So I do think there's something way more captivating about heroin than oxycodone. It could just be that in general H is stronger than oxy (I've heard that oxycodone is about 1/3 as strong as heroin but that's super variable and a hard claim to back-up).

People have also reported than on oxy they had lives. Once they switched to heroin it's all they've wanted to do 24/7. I'm not trying to assert that anything I'm saying is true or that heroin is definitely more addictive than oxy. Just curious about the subject.

Last edited:
Of course no drug is officially more addicting than another drug. It's all based on the user.

However, from what I've witnessed people struggle with quitting heroin more than anything I've ever seen. I've known people to quit opioids and they definitely have relapsed during the quitting process, but when it comes to heroin I only know people who have quit through long-term Suboxone use or methadone. They were not able to stop using heroin like I've known people to stop using oxycodone. I don't know anyone who has willingly quit heroin like I do with folks who have willingly quit oxycodone (without subs or methadone treatment).

Also, people seem to be able to hold onto oxycodone stashes and stagnate their use so they can avoid withdrawal. When it comes to heroin use, I've never known anyone be able to save it for a rainy day. They go through their entire H stash in a day and then go back into withdrawal. There's seemingly something more compulsive about heroin and the desire to redone over and over again--hence why I think it's more addictive.

I was just asking why heroin seems more addictive for most people, but obviously oxycodone is in itself extremely addictive too. I've also seen a plethora of people state that making the switch from oxycodone to heroin was their biggest life mistake. So I do think there's something way more captivating about heroin than oxycodone. It could just be that in general H is stronger than oxy (I've heard that oxycodone is about 1/3 as strong as heroin but that's super variable and a hard claim to back-up).

People have also reported than on oxy they had lives. Once they switched to heroin it's all they've wanted to do 24/7. I'm not trying to assert that anything I'm saying is true or that heroin is definitely more addictive than oxy. Just curious about the subject.

Exactly this, couldn't have put it better myself. Just on oxy trying to wean back down to my prescription, doesn't have a patch on heroin, no matter how much I take.

There is a line drawn in the sand of my life.

Before and after Heroin...it changed everything and plagued my life for so many years. In and out of jail cells and detoxes. On and off the street, and the only reason I stopped is being on Bupe like I am now. That's the only way for me to deal with this obsession. It's my favorite drug of all and I've tried more than most even know exist.

I think its has a lot to do with availability and personal preference. Heroin is stupid easy to get and usually very powerful. Then again I've known people who used ridiculous amounts of oxycodone a day and get sick and strung out in typical H addict fashion. Only difference was a prescription.

Before I used H I was using 30mg oxycodone and OC 80, and it was a hard habit to keep even when I wanted to because of availability and price. Heroin is just way easier to STAY addicted to, I think that's the main thing.

So as someone that’s tried very pure heroin, as well as damn near unlimited access to the original OC’s..

It’s a few things... I’ll start with the biggest though.

Oxycodone and other opiates were fun but the first time I tried pure heroin (not street dope) it felt like everything I had ever wanted in a drug.

I was on the cusps of my nightly hangover (alcoholic) when I did it and unlike oxy which probably would have made me yak, it took away all my nausea, all my pain, I was perfectly energized yet relaxed. It hit in a way that was perfect in every regard.

Idk it just feels more natural and covers more bases than oxy. I had been using oxy for a few years at that point and still was using lots of other drugs. When I started on heroin it felt like my need for all other drugs and things was finished, I had everything I needed all in one drug.

The only drug that I’d use besides more dope was cannabis because they synergize well.

Having tried quite a few synthetic, semi synthetic and natural opiates and oids. I find the closer you get to natural the better.

I also agree about price and availability. Oxycodone was only easy to get in the late 90’s/early 00’s. After that the prices went nuts and the availability went down. Heroin you can use any amount you want and even the priciest shit was probably 1/8th the price of expensive oxys.

-GC

I'm glad that my exp trying it was very underwhelming otherwise I might have been hooked. It was a body high but no euphoria. I shouldn't have even tried it tbh but I haven't dabbled in it since. I thought it was crushed pills bc the person had never bought "stamps before." Silly me it sounds stupid I know. I didn't know what stamps were. It was a blur in judgement for sure.

Thx for explaining this to me. Too many people say that oxy and heroin are the same but really they aren't. One has devastated more lives far easily.