• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Why I Quit Smoking Weed

Yeah there is no physical withdrawals from weed, just mental stress and fiendish behaviors. You quit a 8 mg a day Xanax habit cold turkey? Holy shit man I could never go through that and I am not even close to 8 milligrams a day.

Yeah cannabis holds me back on pretty much all aspects of my life, but me being aware of this changes nothing. It's funny, I talk about how I want to get clean or cut back or be sober or whatever, but I don't even consider weed to be part of the problem. Maybe that's my problem.

I quit because it was too expensive to smoke as much as I wanted to. Not to mention my family looked at me like i was an invalid at the time. There was anxiety and paranoia sometimes, but that wasn't bothersome enough to stop. I honestly think I quit because it smelled a lot so people would know I was blazed, so I moved to drugs that didn't smell, but they ruined my life. So I stopped those and to medicated for my issues and now the medication is wrecking me, so I planning on checking into a private psych ward to lower the meds significantly. What a mess these mind altering substances.

Yeah I experienced getting off an 8mg a day Xanax addiction, cold turkey, bed ridden for a week. It was five years ago. My memory is really bad, So I can't exactly recall anything besides laying down in the couch and sweating and shaking for a few days straight. I wish I could use this experience as a way to balance the scales of righteousness and Weed is Mild argument, But I really can't. Because It feels like such a distant memory.

What I do remember clearly is being addicted to cannabis, and not being able to go 48 hours without a toke, for years and years. I could not get this job or go to that Med Tech school because of drug tests, Spending two hours driving around the city to cop a dime bag, Never reaching my full potential in school because my head was so cloudy... I tried over and over again and again to quit. and I could not Mycophile.

The fact that your withdrawal was mild, does not surprise me at all. I know a few people who live quite the successful and independent life and smoke bud, and have no problem stopping for months at a time.

I wish I would have stayed a stoner after what eventually happen to me, that I admit. This whole PHYSICAL withdrawal is silly dude. You have people that are 35 and have been smoking for two decades and have never been able to stop for a month straight. What does that tell you?

I followed you all the way up to the last part.

I've never met anyone who was actually IN TROUBLE in a real way cause of weed in the same way that other drugs cause problems and physical withdrawal is something to be cautious of because it's an EXTRA barrier to getting clean aside from just psychological addition.

USUALLY weed doesn't cause SERIOUS WDs though.

I mean dude, the same could be said for gambling addictions or food addictions.

You have people who have been gambling away their money and living in a trailer for years unable to properly support themselves or people who get heart disease cause they can't stop eating too much shitty food yet neither is PHYSICALLY addictive.

Psychological dependence and physical dependence are obviously too different things and sometimes they can go together.

But as far as PHYSICAL WD Weed is only mildly addictive.

That doesn't mean it can't cause SERIOUS problems but my theory is that when it does it's similar to the same reasons people have trouble with gambling or food.

It's just that it's wrong to equate a weed addiction with a cigarette addiction or a heroin addiction.

The former is a psychological dependence with MILD physical WDs while the latter is both serious in terms of physical WD and psychological dependence.

Nevertheless, i feel you man and wish you could luck in quitting if that's what you want to do.

I followed you all the way up to the last part.

I've never met anyone who was actually IN TROUBLE in a real way cause of weed in the same way that other drugs cause problems and physical withdrawal is something to be cautious of because it's an EXTRA barrier to getting clean aside from just psychological addition.

USUALLY weed doesn't cause SERIOUS WDs though.

I mean dude, the same could be said for gambling addictions or food addictions.

You have people who have been gambling away their money and living in a trailer for years unable to properly support themselves or people who get heart disease cause they can't stop eating too much shitty food yet neither is PHYSICALLY addictive.

Psychological dependence and physical dependence are obviously too different things and sometimes they can go together.

But as far as PHYSICAL WD Weed is only mildly addictive.

That doesn't mean it can't cause SERIOUS problems but my theory is that when it does it's similar to the same reasons people have trouble with gambling or food.

It's just that it's wrong to equate a weed addiction with a cigarette addiction or a heroin addiction.

The former is a psychological dependence with MILD physical WDs while the latter is both serious in terms of physical WD and psychological dependence.

Nevertheless, i feel you man and wish you could luck in quitting if that's what you want to do.

I am fighting an addiction to craft beer drinking at night. It's killing me, lol. Not funny, and it sucks but yeah. I don't have a problem with weed anymore, but that's only because of random drug tests.

I swear, If I could smoke some CBD Indica shit, and it be legal. I would rather do that than drink overpriced beers that are killing me fast as fuck.

Thanks for the back and forth though....

Hey hey, I never said weed is as bad as hard drugs. But weed is still addictive. and that's not only because people "like it" -- it is not like a warm shower or a cup of tea- it MAKES YOU VERY HIGH!

To be honest, I'd compare strong kush to opium in terms of strength. When I was younger [14-16], way before I got into hard drugs, when I didn't have weed I'd dip into the tylenol 3 stash left over from operations, and it was NOT strong enough to satisfy [~150 mg]. Weed may be down the list of addictive psychoactive drugs, but it's still addictive. That's all I'm saying. OF course most people kind of instinctively realize that potheads are drug abusers like any other; it's just more tolerated, because, as Myco-something said [lol], it doesn't ruin your life automatically...

like a guy in high school once told me, criticizing my pot habit -- and I, of course, thought "what a dork... just shattap" -- "you can't get a high from nothing. when pot makes you that damn high, to satisfy you, it is doing something to your brain." A drug that provides endless pleasure at seemingly no cost, sounds too good to be true...

Then someone might say, well we have ancient cannabinoid receptors from prehistoric times... but if that is the case, it was certainly not weed as strong as today's, smoked with the same frequency and hedonistic enterprise. Also, in ancient Greek and Roman medical documents they do criticize the hash and opium fiends of the East.

I'm saying that weed is not in some magical category of its own. it is still a fun drug that gets you high--at a cost of some kind to your general equilibrium. hell, I wish I had some now -- cuz i'm a fiend and everyone knows it!

*** all that said, I do think that occasional use is life-enhancing. It stimulates creativity, communication, sensitivity, etc. But once you get into like week 2 or 3 of daily use, it loses these life-enhancing properties and becomes a numbing agent, like narcotics... speaking of which -- weed can really replace narcotics -- known as "marijuana maintenance", which it has been used for since at least the 1800s, to replace morphine addiction. But in my experience this only works for a few months. The problem is you need more and more weed to delay the cravings, then once you run out, you feel a tidal wave of cravings for opiates

Last edited:
I'm quitting weed today. For two reasons, one being I am trying to join a union that probably drug tests. The other being that I don't want to be talking to a girl and have her judge me for being a stoner.

I'm quitting weed today. For two reasons, one being I am trying to join a union that probably drug tests. The other being that I don't want to be talking to a girl and have her judge me for being a stoner.

I wish you good luck, and I find your username super funny. lol.

Quitting weed to join a Union is about as good a reason, as any

It's not necessary unhealthy, but as I said before, for someone with asthma even vaping effects one's lungs.

I thought it wouldn't, but unfortunately I do still get asthma from vaping, just not as bad as smoking.

Maybe you're just allergic to weed pollen, because I have asthma and weed actually helps me sometimes, I think some of the oils open up your airways. Pretty sure cannabis was used as an old time remedy for asthma as well. I only get asthma from weed if I get a huge hit that makes me cough a lot.

That's the reason I don't do it anymore, besides drug tests...I was on it everyday from 16 to 21....Fucking five years of copping a dime bag, a quarter ounce to last a week, a half ounce to blaze for free...

16-25 here, 1/4 would last like 3 days, 1/2 ounce would last like 5, an ounce maybe a week and a half.My money was always spent on next weeks weed before I got it.I had no motivation, avoided people, the least bit of stress had me in my room blazed.

I couldn't really control my emotions so I would bottle them up or else I'd fly off the handle.

it's funny that people experienced with drugs know more about the dark side of weed, than all the lefties mindlessly preaching for its use, and all these new celebrities saying how thye use tons of it daily and its fine.

especially with the strong types of weed, its very very addictive.

so yeh, people who hate reality and have addictive personalities... obviously weed will fuck us up. i figure as it becomes less taboo, society at large will become more aware of this. even tho i think people defending daily use as "medicinal" [when usually, lets face, its not] are in denial, i also do think there should be less stigma about drugs in general. in canada the last 10 years have seen a TOTAL erosion of pretty much all stigma around weed- - and apparently rates of pot use among teens is going down, year by year... :D

In some ways I'd rather be addicted to benzos or opiates than weed, because of the laziness thing. who wants to be a couch potato all the time?>

Firstly, it's not addictive as long as you don't abuse it. Some people are compulsive users, but that goes for pretty much any good thing, including food. Let's take Terence McKenna, he used to smoke more than 10 times a day and he quit overnight with no problems whatsoever. Granted, some people do get dependant, but that's mostly people who smoke more than they need to, and even then, most people who smoke that much don't have problems, so I'd say it's probably dependant on your neurochemistry. Honestly the hardest part about quitting weed is having to spend the time you would've spent smoking, being bored, in my experience. I've known plenty of people who have had very similar experiences. Just because some people can't handle weed, doesn't mean it's heavily addictive. It's mostly people who make excuses for themselves to smoke it, or just view smoking weed as a good thing no matter how much they smoke.

Weed has plenty of scientifically accepted medicinal benefits. It improves hundreds of thousands of people's quality of life, and improves tons of medical conditions with observable evidence. Of course some people will abuse the system, but that's not the fault of the herb, that's the people smoking it, the people running the system, and the system it's self. Regardless, I probably would have killed myself if I didn't have weed for my many disorders.

Also, weed doesn't make everyone lazy. I'm more likely to actually do something if I'm stoned, even on indicas. Being high makes me less frustrated about having to do things I don't want to do, and increases my interest in doing things I like to do (running as an example). Not trying to bash your opinion but it seems a little bit biased, at least based on the experiences I've had with weed, and the things you say don't apply to every single person.

Definitely not everyone gets lazy from weed. At the same time though, all the stoners I know are unreliable and lazy. I'm not sure if it's necessarily the weed though; it could be they're like that naturally, and attracted to pot because of it.

Anyway, in the end the truth wins out -- nowadays, most people know weed on its own is not a bad drug, but that it's bad to abuse it, like anything else.

For example, someone mentioned girls being turned off by stoners. This not necessarily because of the drug stigma... a guy who spends tons of time and money indulging himself is not attractive... [to many girls that is... again, can't generalize]. Similarly; a teacher I have, a woman my age, has talked a lot about weed in class, and I know she is a stoner [times have changed, and I live in Canada]. She and the other druggy professor I have are the laziest and most useless ones lol. They don't ever answer emails or anything.

You're gonna have a hard time convincing me this new trend of people being stoners, and thinking it's healthy, is a good thing. To me they seem unreliable and self-indulgent.

Last edited:
Yeah, I agree, plenty of people do let it get out of control, but I'd wager money is just as addictive, if not moreso. I'm not really saying weed is healthy in general, but it doesn't really have many negative effects for the majority of people if used responsibly/therapeutically, and for lots of people, it's the difference between being oppressed by their illness and feeling comfortable. Honestly I think a major problem is that someone needs to set guidelines of some sort. As of right now, the idea amongst many stoners is "smoke as much as you can afford to" which I can agree is pretty irresponsible in most cases, but I say blame the culture not the drug

yeh, i def. agree its the intent that matters more than the drug. that's why people who use opiates, for example, as prescribed for pain, don't get high

I remember when I got shot in the arm once by mistake...accidental discharge -_- When they shot me up with dilaudid at the hospital, I had NO EUPHORIA at all.

The two canadian friends I have from Manitoba Canada, despise potheads, they fucking LOL when they see people in the states take pride in being daily stoners/lazy

Like when you forget what you were talking about and have to ask her,lol

I quit because I didn't like the way it made me feel anymore.......caused me anxiety as well.

Its been 12 years since I quit......was thinking if I could get 100% sativa, might try it again, but that's probably not gonna happen.

There ate different weed strains & IMO, they affect people differently.

I just hate smoking & getting anxiety.....I mean, what's the point if trying to get high to relax & having to worry about anxiety?

Maybe you're just allergic to weed pollen, because I have asthma and weed actually helps me sometimes, I think some of the oils open up your airways. Pretty sure cannabis was used as an old time remedy for asthma as well. I only get asthma from weed if I get a huge hit that makes me cough a lot.

Well I am allergic to pollen but I'm not sure if I am allergic to actual weed pollen.

I know that ORAL weed can help asthma but the tar simply CANNOT be good for anyone's lungs.

I think it's just a matter of smoking ANYTHING being bad for an asthmatic because of all the tar though I'm not sure why it bothers you and not me but everyone is different.

I know that ORAL weed can help asthma but the tar simply CANNOT be good for anyone's lungs.

You right, you right.... sho', you right....

But hey, stupid question but what do you mean when you say you're allergic to pollen? All pollen, or just certain kinds?

I only ask because I've never heard of anyone allergic to generic pollen before, but I'd imagine that it would leave a person incapacitated pretty much 24/7. My issue is ragweed. Ragweed pollen basically sends a bulldozer through my nose the second it's in the air. Most other pollen is pretty harmless for me, though...

It just caught my attention when I read that you're allergic to pollen, that's all-- not trying to argue with ya or anything.

I've tried just about every benzodiazpeine at some time in my life. The best is clonazepam. It's very very strong and it doesn't screw your head up. I've heard its the only benzo that has actually been indicated for long term anxiety. Second strongest I found to be bromazepam. Lorazepam is like bromazepam but without the sedative effect and at least as hard t withdraw from..Valium makes you agitated and anxious and its not so strong.Nitrazepam is strong but it makes you hungry. Oxazepam is considered weak but I quite like it. Librium is very very weak and xanax is strong but utter hell to withdraw from. Stay away. The z drugs (zopiclone and zolpidem) are not quite as difficult to withdraw from. Zopiclone tastes terrible and you can;t get rid of the taste becsuse its secreted in your saliva. Zolpidem is strong for a while I guess. Versed (midazolam) is a bit of a disappointment compared with my expectations. Don't even think of going anywhere near triazolam. The half life is so short and potency strong that you suffer withdrawal inbetween individual doses! They say nimetzazepam which is available in some south east countries is very strong but I've never had. If you have to go long term, go for klonopin (clonazepam). t will be hard to withdraw from because its very very high potency so you'll prob. have to do a valium conversion but its strong, sensible (ie. doesn't screw your head up) and keeps working longer than the others.Oh.. and a word about temazepam. I know it's very highly abused. Don't know why. It's not so strong. Take more than two and you can get a headache (and it's toxic!)Doesn't do much for muscle relaxant

I quit because I didn't like the way it made me feel anymore.......caused me anxiety as well.

Its been 12 years since I quit......was thinking if I could get 100% sativa, might try it again, but that's probably not gonna happen.

There ate different weed strains & IMO, they affect people differently.

I just hate smoking & getting anxiety.....I mean, what's the point if trying to get high to relax & having to worry about anxiety?

What happened to you happens to a lot of people. It didn't really happen to me unless I had zero or a low tolerance and smoked way too much with friends who had a moderate or high tolerance, and then I would just work through it, or just avoid situations that would give me anxiety while high like smoking way too much and then having to be in public in an environment where you had to pretend that you're sober.