• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Why Don’t We Just Shoot Condemned Inmates?

Are you not Christian pmoseman (thought you were)? And if you are, does it not say in the Bible that it's a sin to kill?

Our women need to be protected, as they are physically weaker on average than men.

IMO, physical abuse or murder of women by men is especially heinous.

My mother was repeatedly abused by her father, helpless to stop him. For a long time, he'd come home violently drunk, only to beat her up for no reason - many times she had to be hospitalized due to the injuries she sustained. She did nothing to deserve that sort of treatment. And as a result, she suffers from severe PTSD.
No, I am not a Christian but I do read the bible only because people do not bother reading the bible and rely on shared beliefs and bullshit excuses instead of the written word.

It is a sin to kill, sure, except of course for the most obvious reasons: like for food, or when it is required by law that you should rip the bellies of pregnant women or stone sorceresses, and maul whores, sacrifice your kin, and so on. Obviously, not killing would not apply when it is necessary in the eyes of the Lord, or when someone disagrees with you, or they are foreigners, etcetera.

After reading the rest of the Bible this command so obviously does not apply universally there is no reason for it to even be mentioned. They certainly would have said more than four words about it if it was a big deal. The solution was to kill and punish people for killing and punishing people, eye foot and hand for eye foot and hand, and then some.

You would think Jesus would condemn it all, but he doesn't. He still wants to follow the law, beat slaves, kill children, and spends lengthy bits of the bible verses threatening and damning those who would not submit to his commands, and had others carry out the dirty work while "forgiving" anyone who was willing to buy in the sin of being born.

It is provable fact that violence is dumb. Sorry for your mother and yourself. In the bible your granddad would pay some fine a priest set for him and if you or your mother disagreed with that judgement you would be killed.

Naturally, parts of the bible are very good and reasonable advice, redacting the violence, but that is only every so often and you can't ignore that you will burn forever for slight offenses and be horribly tortured and killed in real life for things like blasphemy.

But I am not an atheist for anything to do with that. I know God is make believe. There is nothing wrong with being an atheist, whatsoever, and I feel relieved to know none of it is true, because the beliefs based on biblical text alone are horribly wrong and misguided and you can still be a good person without worrying about your own faith or thinking everyone is going to Hell for not believing with you.

Last edited:
No, I am not a Christian but I do read the bible only because people do not bother reading the bible and rely on shared beliefs and bullshit excuses instead of the written word.

the beliefs based on biblical text alone are horribly wrong and misguided.

I do not understand how these could both come from the same person.

Probably because people spend so much time in death row

I'm sure the cost could be at least halved

It really should only cost a couple dollars in american currency

No. Rather because the appeals processes are utilised to their fullest extent because, ya know, when your punishment is something as final as death, you kind of want to make sure that a person is REALLY guilty - that being said, a shit load of innocent people STILL get executed for shit they never did.

NIt is a sin to kill, sure, except of course for the most obvious reasons: like for food, or when it is required by law that you should rip the bellies of pregnant women or stone sorceresses, and maul whores, sacrifice your kin, and so on

What tablet did Moses chisel all of that fine print on then? Commandment 10, section (i), paragraph (iv)?

What tablet did Moses chisel all of that fine print on then? Commandment 10, section (i), paragraph (iv)?
Oh hardy har har. Aren't you a clever one. Have you ever tried opening a book to see what is inside?
Exodus 20 : 25
Exodus 31 : 12-17

I've read lots of books, but I draw the line at ~2000 year old books of questionable historical origin, of the translation-into-English I am unable to verify or contextualise - which has been marred by centuries of people using this book for their own political/social/colonial ends. A book that has been used to justify violence, war, torture, genocide, rape; all kinds of barbaric cruelty.

It's not that I draw the line at reading it, as such - but using such a completely antiquated text to base my ethical standing in the world seems - to me, at least - rather illogical. I've glanced at a few Gideon's bibles in my time, but never has an artefact struck me as so false - so man made and deliberate in its agenda to manipulate and control with fear.

Western culture has gone through a huge series of social changes in the last half a century.
Women's lib, the breakdown of state-sanctioned ethnic segregation (almost...) the legal and institutional acceptance of lifestyles that don't conform to heteronormative rules as laid out in the Christian-dominated, patriarchal, ingrained white/male supremacist social power structure of the 1950s and ealier.

Some of these taboos were broken by Christians, those of faith or aligned with one church or another.
This breakdown of western Christian hegemony began years earlier with philosophers and intellectuals prepared to question the myths, morals and fairy tales that the bible spells out.
Creationism, Adam and Eve, the "divine conception" (defining women as "mothers" or else "whores").

Whether it is Darwin's theory of Evolution, Nietzsche's rejection of god and religion completely, or any number of thinkers that came before - or after- them, the relevance ( and ability for modern readers to properly contextualise metaphor or text that has been interpreted and reinterpreted through various times and languages) of the various judeo-Christian bibles has never been less applicable to contemporary humanity.
Any notion that biblical texts can give an insight into the ethical issues surrounding capital punishment in the 21st century is hard to take seriously.

Last edited:
youd think they could use fentanyl or one of its analogues

kind of a hot button topic right now

I'm smart enough to realize that I ain't gonna change the world, or your opinion.

Oh, I wasn't trying to change your opinion; I wasn't even specifically addressing you.
But uh - good to know.
Discussions aren't always about changing people's minds or pushing your views on 'the world'
Expressing your thoughts is more interesting (on a discussion board) than basing your opinions on feelings. That's what I think anyway, haha.
Discussing ideas is stimulating. How boring would it be if we all agreed with one another?

I suspected as much.
But are you "smart enough to realise" what this means?