• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Why doesn't alcohol have nutrition labels?

slimvictor

Bluelight Crew
How much fiber is in your shot of Jim Beam? What vitamins are in your gin? If those questions sound odd, get ready: The same nutritional information you see on Gatorade may soon be coming to raspberry vodka.

It turns out the government has different regulatory bodies for food and spirits, but a recently proposed change could mean uniform nutritional labels across all consumable goodies (including booze). It all stems from some fairly complicated legal designations that separate food (headed up by the FDA) from some, but not all, alcohol (which is regulated by the Department of the Treasury’s Alcohol and Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau).

In a popular thread from Reddit’s “Explain It Like I’m Five” page, Redditors have been trying to explain why alcohol doesn’t need to disclose the same nutritional information as, say, Coca-Cola. Basically, it comes down to some pretty ambiguous legal distinctions, like whether or not a beer uses malted grain. (That explains why gluten-free beer and hard cider count as regular old foodstuffs.)

cont at
http://greatist.com/health/alcohol-nutritional-labels-101713

i think alcohol bottles should also say "this is a psychoactive drug and may cause addiction and/or dependence" on the label. just to be real about shit.

wine-pregnant-warning_729-420x0.jpg

The labels here clearly state "No fat chicks"

I think it would lead to even more irresponsible imbibing... The "OH SHIT THERE IS NUTRIENTS IN ________ !!!!!"(Name your booze)

Now hear me out....

Some blabbering idiot is going to sleep himself for the vitamin B content in beer...
Or some midlife drunk is drinking boatloads of wine for vitamin C...

People will make an excuse to take the wrong impression with this.
Rather hilarious direction this will and can go...

This really seems like bullshit. This just seems like a waste of government time and money. It could also increase the cost of alcoholic beverages. These companies are going to have to test every drink they sell and find out what the nutrition facts are if this is a law. That means an extra step in production and will likely not be an inexpensive one. I dont really see this being very helpful to the consumer either. The only thing that would be helpful IMO would be requiring every maker to state the alcohol content or percentage. Its required for liquor i believe and maybe wine but many beers dont list it. That would be nice.

If they required calorie content to alcohol drinks then people would maybe take note of the large amount of calories they consume when drinking. But, i dont think this would really make people drink less. It is fairly common knowledge that drinks have calories and if you drink frequently you will gain weight.
Other than calories and alcohol content, there is probably not very much to put on the nutrition labels.

It could create a new type of beer, Vitamin Beer. Make sure you get all you vitamins with a Miller Vitamin Beer ... or six.

Like Psychedelic Jay said, some idiot will rationalize their alcoholism by saying "Oh, well there is vitamins and minerals in this stuff and lord knows i aint got time to eat right and take a multivitamin. This shit is helpin me be healthy!"

To a non-alcoholic this sounds insane but ive heard some pretty nonsensical reasoning from drunks as to why they stay drunk.

What do you guys think? To me this is just unnecessary but it could maybe help some people drink less if the calores numbers were staring back at them from every bottle. But that doesnt stop people from eating a whole bag of potato chips or cookies.

Some people read the nutrition facts but many and probably the majority dont even bother or maybe only glace at them. Additionally, companies already suggest really unrealistic serving sizes so they can list lower amounts of things like fat, calories, sodium, sugar, etc.

People might realize how many calories alcohol has :D

It actually isn't a bad idea to fortify alcohol with vitamins. Most alcoholics are severely malnourished, and the lack of B12 can end up leading to Korsakoff's Syndrome, which can be pretty nasty. The problem is that alcohol has so many calories they simply don't need another, more nutritious source.

wine-pregnant-warning_729-420x0.jpg

The labels here clearly state "No fat chicks"

Just big boned chix kthx.

People might realize how many calories alcohol has :D

It actually isn't a bad idea to fortify alcohol with vitamins. Most alcoholics are severely malnourished, and the lack of B12 can end up leading to Korsakoff's Syndrome, which can be pretty nasty. The problem is that alcohol has so many calories they simply don't need another, more nutritious source.

This can happen with out being an alcoholic.

Yea, it is kind of a stupid idea because hardcore alcoholics would probably never buy such a thing. Still good for you hardcore alcoholics out there to at least eat a little bit and take a multi vitamin =P

People lacking intrinsic factor or an ileum need injections :)

The problem with the alcoholic is compliance, so an injection would be easier to successfully administer.

The thing is that a person can eat a bit better and take a multi vitamin on their own. Are you all allowed to self administer B12 injections?

You can self-administer anything with a prescription, so long as it isn't intrathecal or something. The era of OTC injections has yet to come.

If it ever does come, can you imagine the marketing campaigns? Here's looking forward to Red Bull IV ads.

I think people here can do the injections themselves. However, an infusion is by far the best ROA, and not so many know how to properly set up an infusion (most alcoholics have no clue, let alone how to insert a cannula without causing complications), so they usually come by the clinic to have it done. I actually don't know if lay people are allowed to buy the stuff needed for such a set up lol.

At the very least they should require all alcoholic beverages to put ABV on their labels. It pisses me off to no end when I have to break out my phone and look up the ABV of a beer before I buy it.

I am prescribed IM cyanocobalamin. I guess eating didn't work well. ...

You either have a stomach problem, and/or don't produce intrinsic factor, or you have a problem with your ileum and the resorption process. Opiates messing with your intestinal motility probably don't help much either. I guarantee you that the vast majority of people (the elderly start getting more tricky) have absolutely no trouble getting all the B12 they need from a normal diet, and that oral supplements, while of course not as effective as IV B12 especially if you are reallllly low (suffering from a pernicious anemia), are absorbed quite well.

Edit: There is also a study that shows that for people who can properly take in B12 within the digestive tract that oral administration is equally or more effective than IM.
Butler CC et al: Oral vitamin B12 versus intramuscular vitamin B12 for vitamin B12 deficiency: a
systematic review of randomized controlled trials. Family Practice 2006; 23: 279-285.

Last edited:
I think it would lead to even more irresponsible imbibing... The "OH SHIT THERE IS NUTRIENTS IN ________ !!!!!"(Name your booze)

Now hear me out....

Some blabbering idiot is going to sleep himself for the vitamin B content in beer...
Or some midlife drunk is drinking boatloads of wine for vitamin C...

People will make an excuse to take the wrong impression with this.
Rather hilarious direction this will and can go...

thats your reason for thinking this is a dumb idea? people will over-indulge because they think they will be getting their vitamin requirements from booze?? nigga please... if anything people who are already alcoholic might switch to a different type of booze that isnt as detrimental to their health. and if a product is produced for human consumption, doesnt it make sense to list the nutritional contents on the package? i dont see a problem with this as an idea, but if implementation is going to cost a shitload of taxpayer money for little to no change in the way people consume alcohol then it is obviously unnecessary

You either have a stomach problem, and/or don't produce intrinsic factor, or you have a problem with your ileum and the resorption process. Opiates messing with your intestinal motility probably don't help much either. I guarantee you that the vast majority of people (the elderly start getting more tricky) have absolutely no trouble getting all the B12 they need from a normal diet, and that oral supplements, while of course not as effective as IV B12 especially if you are reallllly low (suffering from a pernicious anemia), are absorbed quite well.

Edit: There is also a study that shows that for people who can properly take in B12 within the digestive tract that oral administration is equally or more effective than IM.
Butler CC et al: Oral vitamin B12 versus intramuscular vitamin B12 for vitamin B12 deficiency: a
systematic review of randomized controlled trials. Family Practice 2006; 23: 279-285.

I know kthx I realized this about myself and unfortunately have had it since before bupe and heroin.

I can only assume the worst trying to keep some icing on my cake.

The ABV is not listed for a reason in corner stores...

Cheap powerful booze has it's firm reputation to be associated with young adults and poors... Both of which brew companies target really hard... Time and time again, we see poor quality high proof brews at parties and around the bum on the street.

My most modern examples are Bud light platinum, and black crown. These are drawing in a real young partiers and poor crowd, not retired old man jenkins...

These are arguably the worst tasting anheuser-busch beers I have had the privilege to put to my lips, besides hurricane...

These beers are strictly for intoxication, not taste... No connoisseur in their right mind is buying these horrid things...

Nobody sips them either, they imbibe these beers...

The amount of vitamins you would have to put in the booze would be substantial to make up for such poor diets...