View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Why do YOU take psychedelics

1. Becuz' it's fucking awesome.
2. I'm a diagnosed Asperger-Autist.
3. Most import of all: 5HT2A-Agonists are holy sacraments to me, and therefore a basic birthright! <3

They show me how beautiful the world is and remind me that life is a gift.
Quoted for Truth! Also to Imast0nerTHC and many more above. =D

Initially to test, whether/in what magnitude the meditation routine prepared me for the adjustment to uncommon environmental conditions.

Meanwhile I'd also use some (2c-c, 4-ho-met) for hedonistic reasons. Those substances, that have that good-mood-guarantee.

And I would like to try mescaline in order to find out, what the serpent is all about.

Another thing I'd like to add: I take them as a reward or treat for myself, after I accomplish what I need to do for the day/week.

And I enjoy the massive change in perception that they generate, not to mention the added body/head high and euphoria that comes along with it.

I've also meditated a few times while on one, sometimes without real intent or purpose; I did it without planning it, and simply felt like it at the time. It works so much better than doing it sober and makes the effects stronger at times.

Which then leads me to stop meditating. :)

I use them as a treatment for my depression and my rumbling thoughts running around in endless cycles...They are more harmless and therefor safe than most drugs and a single dose can effect my mood for up to a full month. Risperdal, aripiprazole and alcohol are pretty much useless compared to the achievements reached with magic truffles. The only other drug coming close to the long lasting antidepressant effects is MDMA.

Honest speaking I still try to partly undo the negative after effects off my stint with antipsychotics. But right now I am on a break, because of my visual perception. At least I am able to see "real" black again and the visual snow isn't really noticeable anymore. I am probably tripping in the next 2 weeks with a low dose of truffles. I rather take psychedelics than being addicted to perscription drugs.

Wow, I've been dealing with drug addiction and THIS thread reminded me that - yes, alcohol, opiates, etc. will destroy me, but throwing LSD in the same category as heroin and saying "Drugs are bad!" is not only incorrect, it's an injustice to the help/healing/benefit/harmful enjoyment they've produced.

Excited for the near future ;)

To me psychedelics are the best drugs because they teach us so much.psychedelics have helped me with personal issues, given me HUGE insight and understanding of the universe, life, the divine, my purpose and my beliefs, I use them whenever I have questions I want answers to, problems I want solved, or things that I want to improve about myself. Or sometimes I do it just to share my experiences and the wisdom that has been shown to me

Good for you, and i personally started to take psychedelics originally to get answers to similar questions. But: I did actually get a sort of final answer. And it's that psychedelics don't actually do that: At best they work as triggers or stimuli in that regard: They change the perception of the external environment, and also your own thoughts. It should be noted that most of your own thoughts when sober are in fact the result of those same external stimuli because of a big underlying issue regarding your own consciousness: That nothing comes from within truly. We humans don't have the same sort of instincts as most animals so we have very little to go on when we are born: Instead we learn. We take whatever from the environment, and then process that: But there is little to nothing there at birth. Everything came from somewhere.

Long story short: Psychedelics can open the way to a realization; But it doesn't cause realizations. Because it cannot bring new thoughts into your head. You came to your answers through insight like you said, but it's more based upon perception of external reality. Technically, it could have happened without psychedelics.

I don't mean to dismiss the experiences or the validity of psychedelics as tools: I've used them a lot too. LSD hundreds of times. But it was in fact LSD that brought me to the realization that it's not the LSD giving me the answers...

So i started to take psychedelics to unlock the secrets of the universe and my consciousness. It took me a while to realize that it won't GIVE me the answers to those things, but it might prod me in the right way. So i cannot dismiss the importance of psychedelics to me. But they won't actually answer questions, solve problems or improve your self, and you shouldn't rely on them to do that either. The nature of psychedelics is that they can sometimes prod your mind the WRONG way too. They are unpredictable. You shouldn't just use them whenever you want your problems solved because i think that's reckless and could be profundly disappointing.

If you want answers to such things in the future you should try to for example meditate and concentrate on the issue: I understand many people have difficulty concentrating on their own thoughts for long periods of time. But it is in fact your own insight and consciousness that truly answers these things; And you should rely on it more.

TLDR: I don't think they show you anything truly. Your own mind just has a nasty habit of ignoring obvious things or being otherwise oblivious to them. But really: All questions regarding your own existence, self and consciousness do have answers and you can unlock them using experiences and insight already. Experiences under psychedelics go a way too, but it shouldn't be relied on because it's only a tool. Not the answer.

Personally: I thought i enjoyed psychedelics recreationally but i think it was more the actual wait to get answers about things i enjoyed. I no longer really can do them just recreationally, and using them any other way would be pointless for me. So they have fulfilled their purpose and in regards to my interests, have been thrown aside. :(

/E: You should rely on your own ability to overcome problems, and find answers yourself without aids. That's what the mind is for. You can't just take psychedelics whenever you need to have a question answered. Otherwise you wouldn't be able to interact and function within a society.

Last edited:
Good for you, and i personally started to take psychedelics originally to get answers to similar questions. But: I did actually get a sort of final answer. And it's that psychedelics don't actually do that: At best they work as triggers or stimuli in that regard: They change the perception of the external environment, and also your own thoughts. It should be noted that most of your own thoughts when sober are in fact the result of those same external stimuli because of a big underlying issue regarding your own consciousness: That nothing comes from within truly. We humans don't have the same sort of instincts as most animals so we have very little to go on when we are born: Instead we learn. We take whatever from the environment, and then process that: But there is little to nothing there at birth. Everything came from somewhere.

Long story short: Psychedelics can open the way to a realization; But it doesn't cause realizations. Because it cannot bring new thoughts into your head. You came to your answers through insight like you said, but it's more based upon perception of external reality. Technically, it could have happened without psychedelics.

I don't mean to dismiss the experiences or the validity of psychedelics as tools: I've used them a lot too. LSD hundreds of times. But it was in fact LSD that brought me to the realization that it's not the LSD giving me the answers...

So i started to take psychedelics to unlock the secrets of the universe and my consciousness. It took me a while to realize that it won't GIVE me the answers to those things, but it might prod me in the right way. So i cannot dismiss the importance of psychedelics to me. But they won't actually answer questions, solve problems or improve your self, and you shouldn't rely on them to do that either. The nature of psychedelics is that they can sometimes prod your mind the WRONG way too. They are unpredictable. You shouldn't just use them whenever you want your problems solved because i think that's reckless and could be profundly disappointing.

If you want answers to such things in the future you should try to for example meditate and concentrate on the issue: I understand many people have difficulty concentrating on their own thoughts for long periods of time. But it is in fact your own insight and consciousness that truly answers these things; And you should rely on it more.

TLDR: I don't think they show you anything truly. Your own mind just has a nasty habit of ignoring obvious things or being otherwise oblivious to them. But really: All questions regarding your own existence, self and consciousness do have answers and you can unlock them using experiences and insight already. Experiences under psychedelics go a way too, but it shouldn't be relied on because it's only a tool. Not the answer.

Personally: I thought i enjoyed psychedelics recreationally but i think it was more the actual wait to get answers about things i enjoyed. I no longer really can do them just recreationally, and using them any other way would be pointless for me. So they have fulfilled their purpose and in regards to my interests, have been thrown aside. :(

/E: You should rely on your own ability to overcome problems, and find answers yourself without aids. That's what the mind is for. You can't just take psychedelics whenever you need to have a question answered. Otherwise you wouldn't be able to interact and function within a society.

I enjoyed reading your post. I agree with most of it, and that says a lot because I am usually highly opinionated and I don't seem to match up with the views of others that often. I'm guessing that most of what's said here means that the individual is the biggest factor in the psychedelic experience. That's also what I gathered from my own experiences, and when I first started I was led to believe everyone should have the same experience. I guess that's what a group setting tends to do.

The only thing is that I do think the premise is too big of a blanket statement. There are many reports of self-healing and being able to find answers through these substances here, elsewhere and legitimate studies on the benefits of psychedelics. I get the point that it ultimately comes from the person's own mind, but these substances provide such a unique and powerful path toward it, which aren't really found anywhere else. It seems that, for now, it is the biggest benefit able to be gained from them. I'd only be able to say that with confidence because I have been through it myself, though I have to admit that wasn't what I was using them for at all.

And lol that's kind of harsh...I think many people (especially here) are fully capable of concentrating on their thoughts for extended periods of time; heh, maybe even too much.

Anyway, rarely does one's own experience encapsulate everyone else's. I also think that psychs should only be used very rarely for answer seeking purposes, and more for safe, recreational purposes. (Btw, how are a lot of these substances NOT fun as hell?) They shouldn't be depended upon in any way, that's for sure. For most of everyone, even those who have said they benefitted from psychs a lot, I bet they have become as good as they are without psychedelic use...and like you said, with their own insight and consciousness. But it's usually these types that benefit from these psychedelic tools the most, and really since that's most of the audience here I think things are in good shape.

But again, thanks for the post. It's refreshing to see someone with views similar to mine. :)

And lol that's kind of harsh...I think many people (especially here) are fully capable of concentrating on their thoughts for extended periods of time; heh, maybe even too much.

Perhaps here, but i was basing that upon a study i read: That the average American(the study didn't include other nationalities) is only able to close his/her eyes and focus on their thoughts for just 15 seconds before starting to experience an anxiety attack. Mindboggling i know, but apparently the average person has a really short attention span. Personally, the longest i've spent in my thoughts while conscious is around 8 hours without break.

The only thing is that I do think the premise is too big of a blanket statement. There are many reports of self-healing and being able to find answers through these substances here, elsewhere and legitimate studies on the benefits of psychedelics. I get the point that it ultimately comes from the person's own mind, but these substances provide such a unique and powerful path toward it, which aren't really found anywhere else. It seems that, for now, it is the biggest benefit able to be gained from them. I'd only be able to say that with confidence because I have been through it myself, though I have to admit that wasn't what I was using them for at all.

I don't mean to be argumentative, but that's actually a pretty big blanket statement... :D

The psychedelic experience is entirely subjective so it can never be used as proof of its benefits: Therefore it is only powerful and unique to yourself. In my view i found a much, much superior way of finding answers than psychedelics:

Reading.

I don't mean to discount the possible benefits altogether: I do think there are benefits. But i don't think those benefits include answers to questions. My benefit was that psychedelics made me realize i need to read more to get the answers i want.

I'm also not trying to be arrogant but i personally already have the answer to every question. :D

Last edited:
Perhaps here, but i was basing that upon a study i read: That the average American(the study didn't include other nationalities) is only able to close his/her eyes and focus on their thoughts for just 15 seconds before starting to experience an anxiety attack. Mindboggling i know, but apparently the average person has a really short attention span. Personally, the longest i've spent in my thoughts while conscious is around 8 hours without break.

lol, ahh, another U.S. based poster...same here. Honestly though, the average American is pretty dumb. I've read survey results before and one of the statistics were 10% of Americans thought HTML was an STD. I mean, that's a huge percentage imo. =/

No worries though. I guess this goes to the audience that probably isn't reading this. Everyone else on a site like BL are likely here because they're so focused/preoccupied on one subject (drugs). =D

Edit: I don't get how what I said was a blanket statement, but whatever. I honestly don't feel like entering a banter today, as I have some nice things planned pretty soon. I'll just say you're right. :) Have a good one.

Edit: I don't get how what I said was a blanket statement, but whatever. I honestly don't feel like entering a banter today, as I have some nice things planned pretty soon. I'll just say you're right. :) Have a good one.

Actually that might have been my mistake so no need to concede the point if you believe yourself to be right. You probably are. I'm not actually American and don't speak English as my native tongue. So my definition of blanket statement is probably wrong now that i think about it.

But you are right; my post is basically one. It was in fact meant to be a largely generalized statement even though i answered an individual's post.

The reason that I have such a high interest in psychedelics is because its all out so fascinating and I love the state of mind it puts me in.

My answer isn't as complicated as everyone else, I just do them because they're fun.

They deepen my understanding of people and life. Psychedelics have been the least harmful and even beneficial of all mind altering substances. I stopped drinking alcohol because of how damaging it was to my life but time with family and psychedelics has lead to some of my happiest moments.

Each person reacts deferently to chemicals but this family of substances seems like it was made as a compliment to my brain chemistry.

I don't rely on them. They more replace what a beer would be to someone who drinks recreationaly.
t

Perhaps here, but i was basing that upon a study i read: That the average American(the study didn't include other nationalities) is only able to close his/her eyes and focus on their thoughts for just 15 seconds before starting to experience an anxiety attack.

lol what?
what study? this just...seems 200% wrong

Anyway, I take psychedelics for
-visual effects
-artistic inspiration
-musical enhancement
-intimate cuddle sessions
-film enhancement
-self-improvement of mood

Actually that might have been my mistake so no need to concede the point if you believe yourself to be right. You probably are. I'm not actually American and don't speak English as my native tongue. So my definition of blanket statement is probably wrong now that i think about it.

But you are right; my post is basically one. It was in fact meant to be a largely generalized statement even though i answered an individual's post.

I like the accountability you take upon yourself though. It takes guts to do. :)

It reminds me of a quote I read and it was something like, "Do you want somebody to blame? Look in the mirror first." And another was "judging a person doesn't define who you are...it defines who they are." I like reading inspirational quotes with massive amounts of truth in them, and of course, no one's infallible. It's just to what degree does a person fill that category? It's a never ending battle, imo.

But I strive to correct and improve upon my many sins. Not that anyone told me to or pushed me in that direction; it's just something I felt like doing so I can be at peace with myself. And something that I gained from substance use indeed. Shit opened my mind like crazy. :)

I started because I was in love with The Beatles and I wanted to do acid like they did and take journeys. Now marijuana is just a way of life for me and I do acid because of the mind opening trips that they create.