View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Why do YOU take psychedelics

Flying_Chippmunk

Greenlighter
However much, however frequent, in whichever way you prefer, what is your personal reason for using psychedelics [no judgement]. After experimenting for a couple years now, and encountering many other fellow trippers I'm curious as to why others choose to partake. As for myself it started with curiosit and then to deeper self awareness. However they also offer a great deal of fun and physical (mental pleasure) too, they just feel good on my brain, like mental ecstasy. I enjoy tripping solo only and exploring the deepest subconscious realms and questioning reality and life. But I feel other people have a much different outlook and purpose.

Because they have the ability to make me feel like some kind of advanced, modern day tribalist and they make music sound cool as fuck. And in trying to become that person that they've made me see/feel, they've offered me great lessons/insights to help me in that direction.

They've shown me a better way to live, a perfect way to live, and hinted at the absolute perfection of life/reality.

I love them.

Oh yeah, and psy trance.

psychedelics are the only drugs that allow me to feel wonder and amazement even in sobriety... its the way they open the window of perception that makes them unique.

The psychedelic state has always felt like coming home to me. Existing in a state that I want to, filled with wisdom, wonder, and brilliance. Being able to perceive difficult things in a slanted abstract way not normally or easily available. Really I love basically everything about it.

I always knew I was going to take psychedelics (LSD in particular) ever since I learned of their existence as a child. I just wanted to. Curiousity, I suppose. Or maybe I intuitively knew that there was something important they had to show me. %)

Psychedelics make me really, truly happy. They keep anxious and depressive thoughts away and they show me the beauty in everything. They get me questioning things which leads to new realizations and knowledge and ultimately more happiness :D They let me see from new points of view. And I find it fascinating how a few extra molecules in your brain can upset your reality so strongly. Ultimately it shows how subjective everything is. A slight difference in brain chemistry changes our entire outlook. Amazing.

The psychedelic state has always felt like coming home to me. Existing in a state that I want to, filled with wisdom, wonder, and brilliance. Being able to perceive difficult things in a slanted abstract way not normally or easily available. Really I love basically everything about it.

I 100% agree with this sentiment...the only times I've ever felt as home as I do on high doses of psychedelics is on high doses of dissociatives, but those aren't "good" like psychedelics. Anyways, I have numerous reasons for taking psychedelics, all of which tie into each other. They basically act as a medicine of sorts, the therapeutic benefits of (balanced) psychedelic use are astounding, every time I trip it acts as a sort of emotional/spiritual cleanser, and tripping semi-regularly (once a month or so) feels like it "fixes" something wrong in my brain. Related to that, of course there are the awe inspiring insights/lessons, NOTHING has ever allowed me to so drastically shift my perspective the way I have on certain trips. Naturally I'm a pretty negative, pessimistic person, but psychedelics allow me to "see the light" & think in much more positive ways, which also helps me be much more productive, much less destructive.

It's great that the experience is so unique each time as well, you never step in the same stream twice, my sober mind is always evolving & changing, so my psychedelic mind is as well. Even with all the experience I have, it still maintains that exploratory aspect, as long as I'm smart about how often I dose it's always fresh & magical as ever! As well I simply feel a sort of "calling" to explore the psychedelic realm, like the only other thing I feel such a powerful "need" to do, the only thing that feeds my whole being in a similar way, is making music (& exploring the music I listen to)...much of this world, human society, it just doesn't make any sense to me, it doesn't really mean much to me, but making music & exploring the psychedelic realms within my mind, that's what's REAL to me, that's what makes me feel truly ALIVE, that's what makes life worthwhile.

I sort of feel a connection to "shamanism", except I'm not coming at it from any sort of traditionalist perspective, certainly not any religious one (religion is one of the fakest things there is to me), I come at it from the culture & perspective of a pot smoking white boy music nerd, it's not "religious", but it's my own way of living, a balance between hedonistic silliness & the more serious side of wanting to know the truth. There's also an almost scientific side to my psychedelic use, I want to get to know & explore each & every corner of the experience.

I can't but agree 100% with al of the above. I tried to formulate an answer for myself when I saw the thread title but now that I read what Psilocybin-Dream said, yeah well, that exactly. Thanks for putting it into words y'all.

the places your mind wanders on psychedelics is a new frontier...for our civilization anyways. I've always had a fondness for charting new territory. I also get some good recreational drug hedonism from some of my trips. Fresh perspectives and aesthetic enhancement of things is always a good time. And then the aphrodisiac qualities can be absolutely mind blowing. I also appreciate the mentally and spiritually challenging aspects of the psychedelic experience.

Lately though I use them far less than I used to. I think I just developed a healthy respect for what those drugs are capable of. I don't enjoy going to that place as often as I used to, I just tend to be more mindful of when I do them and I keep the doses more moderate. Powerful, intriguing things these drugs are.

Good stuff. For me, I was stuck in patterns so entrenched it was slowly killing me and sucking out all the joy in my life. I started drinking to cope and self-medicate. I sought out help with psychiatrists and therapists and learned to talk about it. I read all these books on spirituality, meditation and started doing all these practices because I wanted to heal. Something completely different to understand a concept intellectually then to have a full blown experience of it. I could talk at length about all these spiritual things I had read but my life was a clear example that I didn't get it. With psychedelics the things I was learning came alive: I was able to experience it. Call it a short-cut or a God-given tool, I find it interesting that many Buddhists I've spoken to chose the path they did because of psychedelic experiences. We can use drugs to cope or we can use drugs to heal. At some point I made a clear decision that I wanted to heal. My drug use changed completely.

Lotta beautiful responses here. I hope god blesses u all for your courage to be warriors yes. The energy is to go on yes.

Had a feeling of missing something since my teenager years. Something I still had had when I was a child. The feeling got stronger and stronger the years went on ... studying ... becoming a member of the workforce ... my head becoming duller and duller. Had an opportunity to get some LSD (no previous experience with drugs except weed during teenager years) and thought why not. Read into the topic found the drug to be worth a try just for curiosity.
Tried it on a free weekend and WOW! After decades a few hours feeling the curiosity, the energy, the fascination for everything around me.
Since then every now and then I take a weekend off to not disappear in dullness but to feel why it's worth to be alive.

1) They make me feel damn good. Psychedelics are the most euphoric drugs out there.
2) They alleviate boredom and low mood.
3) They are not addictive.
4) Physically speaking they seem to be very safe.

I like trippin' balls.

Haha, same here. It's akin to having the ultimate fun. Altered states can make anything fun, even the most boring crap like sitting there staring into space. On a psych, that's fun and I can't say that for anything else. =D

The other benefits are there, but they take a backseat for me.

the psychedelic state has always felt like coming home to me. Existing in a state that i want to, filled with wisdom, wonder, and brilliance. Being able to perceive difficult things in a slanted abstract way not normally or easily available. Really i love basically everything about it.

qft!!

I originally started taking psychedelics as I suffer from cluster headaches and after a lot of research into possible cures/preventives I learned that psych's worked pretty well and since then I've never looked back
I fell in love with psychedelics from my first trip on LSA, I loved the internal dialog it produced it was like having and extremely funny commentary over my life (like you'd hear while watching sports on TV), they also taught me compassion and empathy I wasn't the best behaved kid between the ages of say 12-19 and I only really learnt how much I'd hurt other people when I started to look inside my self and only then is when I could start to better myself.
And finally just like devilsgospel said I love tripping balls! I mean really how can any one not appreciate there couch melting into there carpet all while it looks like jimi Hendrix that's pretty sweet.

they have positives and lasting effects on my mood and i feel more in touch with myself and the world, also feel clean and new after a good trip

besides, they make everything more awesome. music, eating, drawing, writing, taking a bath, smoking, bonding, being naked, hell even staring at the wall or the back of your eyelids becomes awesome

To me psychedelics are the best drugs because they teach us so much.psychedelics have helped me with personal issues, given me HUGE insight and understanding of the universe, life, the divine, my purpose and my beliefs, I use them whenever I have questions I want answers to, problems I want solved, or things that I want to improve about myself. Or sometimes I do it just to share my experiences and the wisdom that has been shown to me

They show me how beautiful the world is and remind me that life is a gift.