• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Why do some people (like me) cough a real lot when smoking (and any solution)?

Mycophile

Bluelighter
So I used to be a COMPLETE pothead like many people throughout my later teens, all throughout my 20s and also early 30s (I'm 42 now) but now I don't usually smoke all that much anymore. Often weed gives me negative thoughts unless i drink with it or mix it with kratom or phenibut, but not always, like last night I smoked without anything else and it was good.

Anyways...I have MILD asthma, but as long as I can remember since I first smoked weed at age 17 I cough up a lung whenever I smoke, no matter whether it's a bowl, bong, joint, blunt, etc...with the exception of a good vaporizer on a low enough setting, but that's vaping, not smoking.

I mean IT'S POSSIBLE technically for me to SOMETIMES take small enough hits that I only cough a little, but it's hard, and I feel it's really just as much for me about throat irritation as asthma, because really it's been a long time since I have had bad asthma. I will use my inhaler a couple times a day, but usually it's more psychological when i use it than I need to.

I remember at one point in my life I smoked so much weed I coughed up blood a few times, and I've never even smoked cigarettes. I actually got REALLY sick that time with bad asthma after smoking a SHIT LOAD for months on end.

My brother also has MILD asthma, probably milder than mine, and he has only just now become a pothead at 38 and he said he almost NEVER coughs when he smokes, and usually when I smoked with all sorts of different people throughout my life I was the ONLY ONE who coughed like that. I mean everyone else might have the mildest cough after a HUGE hit. It's like their absolute worst coughs were less than my mildest. My friend used to tell me "it's cause you take every hit like it's your last" lol, but that's just NOT TRUE.

I tend to prefer these days to smoke bowls over anything else as I don't own a bong or bubbler but I do own a good vaporizer as an alternative if I don't want to cough, and sometimes I can get edibles but they are expensive.

I've also noticed I don't cough when drinking, and I wonder if maybe the booze relaxes my lungs, but the way I smoke is basically just out of a small bowl and I try to hold my hits in for a few seconds and usually like to blow some of the smoke out of my nose. Maybe I hold it too long?

Anyways, does anyone else here cough a SHIT LOAD when they smoke, even if they take small hits, and why do you think this has always happened to me?

Any solutions?

I sometimes use a throat spray and drink lots of water with smoking to cool my throat, and of course there's bongs, but anyways, just wondering why I have always been like this and if I can change it, cause everyone else just smokes as if it's natural air and they don't even cough, and I'm always the exception which is weird to me.

My theory on this is that it's quite often a mental hurdle. The rest of the time it's just how your throat/lungs are. Some people are just more sensitive.

I'm not quite as bad as you but cough a few times most times I smoke a doob. Definitely using ice helps, like in a bong or whatever.

I did notice after I did a really hot 'hot knife' hit that burnt the fuck out of my throat, that I couldn't not cough from even the smallest hit for ages. Like a couple years. Don't know what the mechanism is there - maybe burning off the tiny protective hairs in your throat or something?

as we age our tissues lose some elasticity, and the power to recover from injury without scarring.

thc oils are heavy and sticky.

no matter if smoked or vaped, at body temperature the lungs become coated with stickiness, and the smaller bronchial tubes can actually seal up for a while -it could take over a week to absorb all the sticky intake from a single amazing vape toke leaving the lungs free. and open again.
In the meantime, forest fires and dust from car tires make breathing more difficult for all of us these days.

oral and particularly water soluble versions of THC are way better for your lungs, and almost as exciting as smoking the drug.

Over here we smoke cannabis with tobacco, 1 to 3 ratio , when you smoke it like this you don't cough.

Over here we smoke cannabis with tobacco, 1 to 3 ratio , when you smoke it like this you don't cough.
I only smoke spliffs with about that ratio and I still cough a little bit. Waaaaaaaay less than strait joints though.

Dunno if this works for non tobacco smokers though? The few people I've handed a spliff that weren't smokers, forgetting not everyone smoked tobacco, had pretty negative feelings/reactions to it.

i don't cough from joints but i do from bongs and bottle tokes Even strong medications that stop coughing like morphine doesent seem to help that much

The simple answer is,

Be ready for this, its groundbreaking.....

You are inhaling smoke. Much like breathing in water, your lungs dont particularly like it

So I used to be a COMPLETE pothead like many people throughout my later teens, all throughout my 20s and also early 30s (I'm 42 now) but now I don't usually smoke all that much anymore. Often weed gives me negative thoughts unless i drink with it or mix it with kratom or phenibut, but not always, like last night I smoked without anything else and it was good.

Anyways...I have MILD asthma, but as long as I can remember since I first smoked weed at age 17 I cough up a lung whenever I smoke, no matter whether it's a bowl, bong, joint, blunt, etc...with the exception of a good vaporizer on a low enough setting, but that's vaping, not smoking.

I mean IT'S POSSIBLE technically for me to SOMETIMES take small enough hits that I only cough a little, but it's hard, and I feel it's really just as much for me about throat irritation as asthma, because really it's been a long time since I have had bad asthma. I will use my inhaler a couple times a day, but usually it's more psychological when i use it than I need to.

I remember at one point in my life I smoked so much weed I coughed up blood a few times, and I've never even smoked cigarettes. I actually got REALLY sick that time with bad asthma after smoking a SHIT LOAD for months on end.

My brother also has MILD asthma, probably milder than mine, and he has only just now become a pothead at 38 and he said he almost NEVER coughs when he smokes, and usually when I smoked with all sorts of different people throughout my life I was the ONLY ONE who coughed like that. I mean everyone else might have the mildest cough after a HUGE hit. It's like their absolute worst coughs were less than my mildest. My friend used to tell me "it's cause you take every hit like it's your last" lol, but that's just NOT TRUE.

I tend to prefer these days to smoke bowls over anything else as I don't own a bong or bubbler but I do own a good vaporizer as an alternative if I don't want to cough, and sometimes I can get edibles but they are expensive.

I've also noticed I don't cough when drinking, and I wonder if maybe the booze relaxes my lungs, but the way I smoke is basically just out of a small bowl and I try to hold my hits in for a few seconds and usually like to blow some of the smoke out of my nose. Maybe I hold it too long?

Anyways, does anyone else here cough a SHIT LOAD when they smoke, even if they take small hits, and why do you think this has always happened to me?

Any solutions?

I sometimes use a throat spray and drink lots of water with smoking to cool my throat, and of course there's bongs, but anyways, just wondering why I have always been like this and if I can change it, cause everyone else just smokes as if it's natural air and they don't even cough, and I'm always the exception which is weird to me.
I use cold water in a bong to help but I rarely cough a lot unless I take a huge hit. My friend though omg he coughs like crazy and loud AF like he is dying and honestly I do not understand it lol

Seriously people, just add in a little dried mullein, you will not cough and it's very healthy for your lungs.

If it doesnt grow in your yard, buy it in capsules at the health food store. It's like 7 bucks and should last about 4 months

The simple answer is,

Be ready for this, its groundbreaking.....

You are inhaling smoke. Much like breathing in water, your lungs dont particularly like it
Lol, yeah I know it's true, but haven't you noticed how many people barely cough at all or actually don't cough AT ALL?

I definitely cough a LOT more than most people, so there's something different about me (and anyone else who coughs a lot) than those who don't.

I can only guess it's my asthma, but my brother has mild asthma too and it doesn't happen to him, so who knows.

Seriously people, just add in a little dried mullein, you will not cough and it's very healthy for your lungs.

If it doesnt grow in your yard, buy it in capsules at the health food store. It's like 7 bucks and should last about 4 months
Interesting. I've never even heard of mullein.

What is it and why does it help with coughing?

I use cold water in a bong to help but I rarely cough a lot unless I take a huge hit. My friend though omg he coughs like crazy and loud AF like he is dying and honestly I do not understand it lol
Does he have asthma?

Cause all I'm saying is there's certainly something different about some of us who cough that much and others barely cough at all.

I mean there's always vaping and edibles, and I like both, but it would certainly be nice to cough less when smoking cause I also like to smoke.

There are also just herbs that aren't as harsh. For example, Indian Warrior (Pedicularis Densiflora) which gives you a very mild high. Not many people know about it, but it never makes me cough. It's interesting when mixed with weed. It kind of counteracts the negative effects of weed like anxiety but also seems to take something away from the high.

Lol, yeah I know it's true, but haven't you noticed how many people barely cough at all or actually don't cough AT ALL?

I definitely cough a LOT more than most people, so there's something different about me (and anyone else who coughs a lot) than those who don't.

I can only guess it's my asthma, but my brother has mild asthma too and it doesn't happen to him, so who knows.

Snoop dogg comes to mind. I find blunts incredibly harsh, and I'm a tobacco smoker who generally smokes spliffs.

Everytime I see him take massive hits or smoke an entire blunt(or 5) in a podcast without coughing I'm like wtf.. How???!

I hate tobacco. Never have smoked and never will.

I used to smoke spliffs when friends insisted on it and I don't know if I coughed less, but I didn't like it, and the last thing I need is a nicotine addiction.

I hate tobacco. Never have smoked and never will.

I used to smoke spliffs when friends insisted on it and I don't know if I coughed less, but I didn't like it, and the last thing I need is a nicotine addiction.

I approve of this message. I can't enjoy weed without it now. Don't be like me!

I can get more technical later. But here is a short

Interesting.

I think I'm gonna order some of this stuff.

Have you used it and if so, what ROA do you prefer? Do you make tea, use tinctures or take capsules?

I'd think either hot tea or hot water with the tincture would probably work better than capsules to soothe the throat.

Do you know if it has any negative interactions with SSRIs or benzos?

I take prozac and Klonopin.

Any solutions?

In your case, it's likely the asthma, but in general I think it's just non-smokers. I smoked weed/crack long before cigarettes and ALWAYS coughed. But whenever I've smoked shit since I started smoking cigs I no longer cough.

In your case, it's likely the asthma, but in general I think it's just non-smokers. I smoked weed/crack long before cigarettes and ALWAYS coughed. But whenever I've smoked shit since I started smoking cigs I no longer cough.
Hmm, that's weird.

It is true that a whole lot of my friends who I always smoked weed with throughout the years who don't cough smoke cigs whereas I don't, in fact, most of them were/are smokers.

Why do you think that is?

Is it that tobacco smokers are used to not inhaling so strongly because that just hurts too much when smoking tobacco?