• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

why do a majority of opiate users get hooked on benzos?

^ exactly what this guy said, if anything is soluble its like 99.999 that isnt. It cools the smoke immensely

First I must correct a statement made earlier - Benzos do not bind calcium channels, they bind to an allosteric site on GABA-a subtype receptors at the benzodiazipine site, causing an increased sensitivity to GABA (potentiation) that allows the CHLORIDE ion channel to open more frequently (not constitutively active like a barbiturate) and that's why the OD death risk is low, if not impossible on a monodrug overdose. Opiate users often like them because both opiates and GABAergics are inhibitory chemicals. Opiate receptors cause downstream depolarization on nociceptive neurons in the brain, and in the gut and elsewhere, making the neurons less likely to fire and allowing cholride ions to more freely cross cell membranes. Basically they blunt unpleasant feelings, like nausea and itching, and more commonly, withdrawal symptoms.

I personally became addicted to them because my anxiety and depression succumbed to the effects of benzos allowing me to get things done while in withdrawal. Eventually, though, after taking too much I have done some regretable things due to benzos (while on them), more so then from doing things while off opiates to get money to get high.