• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

why do a majority of opiate users get hooked on benzos?

pillman1224

Bluelighter
i dont know if this belongs in BDD or DC but ive noticed myself and fellow opiate addicts getting hooked like crazy. the reason im hooked on em is for sleep but that was inevitable. i personally dont like the combo and unless you count one time 8 days ago 40mg oxy and 6mg xanax (the weed told me to do it) havent dont it since middle school when i was a retard nodding out in class, now im a college student started new semester a month ago and 2/3 of my classes my professors have had to wake me up cause my eyes was rolling in the back of my head with a plastic patch sticking out.

wow sorry bout that again the weed talking im Jim Lahey TPB when im on it same with opis just more productive on opis. so if your an opiate/benzo user how did the benzo get ya?

People think they have good drug synergy. The narcotic painkiller numbs the body while the anxiolytic sedative-hypnotic numbs the mind.

Opiates and benzos both activate the GABA receptors of the brain, causing similar desirable effects.

^are you sure about that? I'm pretty sure that what it is is that Opiates activate opiate receptors, and benzos activate GABA receptors, but both are CNS depressants (downers).

Usually the combo is desired by people on maintenance therapy (suboxone or methadone), for some reason combining benzodiazepines, especially alprazolam and diazepam IMO, with long acting opiates creates a very euphoric. However with short acting opiates, it creates a very sloppy synergy that most non IV users don't seem to like. I have been addicted to benzo's for a year (I find it to be much harder to kick than opiates), and I have also been addicted to opiates for years, the last three years daily IV heroin, and after a while the heroin stops getting you high and you're just maintaining, when you start throwing benzo's in there you get your nod back. I used to pop a few bars and then do a fat shot and call it a death rush because I'd literally just hit the floor and fall out. After a while that euphoria just isn't there anymore, you know how when you first start using heroin you want to clean your house and shit? Well, that don't last long and soon you (or I should say 'I') just want to be obliterated. I'll do some speed if I want to get things done. And when you're living in a tent theres not much to get done except recycle cans and make elaborate panhandling signs.

In my case, I got hooked on benzo's (xanax mostly) after years of countless home remedy sad attempts of trying to quit oxycodone & hydrocodone. :(

I think for sleep during withdrawls rls can be hell and they really help. Some might like the synergy but personally im not too crazy about it id rather do just the opiate and something like hydroxyzine for the nods and naseua

^are you sure about that? I'm pretty sure that what it is is that Opiates activate opiate receptors, and benzos activate GABA receptors, but both are CNS depressants (downers).

Usually the combo is desired by people on maintenance therapy (suboxone or methadone), for some reason combining benzodiazepines, especially alprazolam and diazepam IMO, with long acting opiates creates a very euphoric. However with short acting opiates, it creates a very sloppy synergy that most non IV users don't seem to like. I have been addicted to benzo's for a year (I find it to be much harder to kick than opiates), and I have also been addicted to opiates for years, the last three years daily IV heroin, and after a while the heroin stops getting you high and you're just maintaining, when you start throwing benzo's in there you get your nod back. I used to pop a few bars and then do a fat shot and call it a death rush because I'd literally just hit the floor and fall out. After a while that euphoria just isn't there anymore, you know how when you first start using heroin you want to clean your house and shit? Well, that don't last long and soon you (or I should say 'I') just want to be obliterated. I'll do some speed if I want to get things done. And when you're living in a tent theres not much to get done except recycle cans and make elaborate panhandling signs.

To clear this up, benzos bond to calcium channels and indirectly cause more GABA to be produced, they dont actually bond to the receptor, that's why they have such a high LD50. Barbiturates actually bond to the GABA receptor that's why they killed so many people. Opioids bond both to opioid and GABA receptors. Alcohol also bonds both to opioid and GABA receptors (known as agonism).

This would explain the correlation between opioid addicts and increased risk of benzo addiction, as they cause a release of some the same chemicals in the brain. Addicts also use benzos to get a better high when they have a high tolerance to opioids, in addition to aiding withdrawals.

Last edited:
To clear this up, benzos bond to calcium channels and indirectly cause more GABA to be produced, they dont actually bond to the receptor, that's why they have such a high LD50. Barbiturates actually bond to the GABA receptor that's why they killed so many people. Opioids bond both to opioid and GABA receptors. Alcohol also bonds both to opioid and GABA receptors (known as agonism).

This would explain the correlation between opioid addicts and increased risk of benzo addiction, as they cause a release of some the same chemicals in the brain. Addicts also use benzos to get a better high when they have a high tolerance to opioids, in addition to aiding withdrawals.

Welcome to bluelight, blueapple and very fasinating 'n informative response to this laymen here, referring to myself, who is learning the hard way.

You know how with some long term opiate/opiod(sp?) users are given drugs such as methadone & subone(sp?) -- how are people with severe xanax dependency and/or addiction especially if they were only ever obtained illegally (through, family, friends, dealers, etc) treated to ultimately kick xanax (alpraz)?

Welcome to bluelight, blueapple and very fasinating 'n informative response to this laymen here, referring to myself, who is learning the hard way.

You know how with some long term opiate/opiod(sp?) users are given drugs such as methadone & subone(sp?) -- how are people with severe xanax dependency and/or addiction especially if they were only ever obtained illegally (through, family, friends, dealers, etc) treated to ultimately kick xanax (alpraz)?

they are generally given a benzo or barb with long half life. think klonopin, valium, phenobarbital, librium iirc

Thank you. You would gradually taper off the xanax dose by using a benzodiazepine with a longer half life, valium is the general first choice, some docs prescribe other gabaergic drugs like gabapentin in addition to the benzo taper, it depends how severe your addiction is and how likely you are to have a seizure.

because benzos are awesome....
6mg kolos washed down with red wine and a cone/bong combo feeling noce got class in the mornin and hopefully gonna make some money seeing as how i wanna get a job at walgreens but cant for the next 30 days more if i keep up the weed gotta slow it down. but addictive benzos that im precribed thats fine to be in meh piss that makes sense.

What is kolos pillman and i loves bowls. Deninetly more than joints but what kind of bong do you have and does it have any percolation?

What is kolos pillman and i loves bowls. Deninetly more than joints but what kind of bong do you have and does it have any percolation?
im sure he means klonopins, wine and cannabis, which sounds like a hell of a time to be honest haha

kolos=klonopin for me rn its 1mg and no percolation just a 25$ mini water bong that i got at a local headshop saw it with hello kitty and asked if they had a plain or different imprint and had a bob marley one.