• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Bupe Why can't I get high off ANY type of drug while on subs? Nothing works!

roxi2873

Bluelighter
Had I known that once I got on sub maintenance I could never get high again... I wouldn't have done it. I started going to a sub clinic back in August. I had previously abused opioids about 5 years and had about 180-240mg a day oxy habit. I would occasionally sniff heroin, tried banging it a few times but I think I was doing something wrong because I never got the rush. Anyway I've been on subs for about 7-8 months now. They started me on 16 mg a day. After about 4 months of that I started taking less and saving them. Eventually, I got down to taking a half sub every 2 or 3 days. I only have 1 1/2 8mg strips left and I am screwedddd beyond all hope because I stopped going to my clinic thinking I could get off them my own.

Now, my girlfriend breaks up with me and I go relapse except no matter what I do...I can't get that euphoria high I always got with opioids, coke, even adderall got me off. I even didn't take any sub for 8 days to the point I was sick as hell, getting the shits....everything and then finally ate 10 perc 10s thinking I was going to get high.....nope. Just barely took the shits away. Snorted a bag of dope and kinda made me dizzy but no euphoria. Said fuck it...waited 24 hours and took 2 whole 8 mg strips just to feel normal again.

I've even tried other drugs I normally don't do to try and get high....NOTHING WORKS. I did 100$ worth of good crack with a friend... Just made my chest tight and a bit more talkative. Adderall did the same thing. Nothing gives me that high anymore, even just getting by on like half or 1/4 of a sub every other or 3 days. I think suboxone has ruined my brain to where I can't get high.

Monday I am going to get a gram of really good dope. I took half a sub today and I will not take any more for the 48 hours before I get the H. I am going to try banging it until I get high. If that doesn't work.... I don't know what will. I hate this. I wish I had never gotten on subs. I can't even smoke crack and feel it. I feel nothing anymore from anything. The only thing worth getting is Xanax because at least I can sleep. Will this ever go away??? I'm scared I'll never get high again.

You had pretty hefty oxy habit, then they put you on high dose of subs, as you know, subs half life is long, you have a lot of sub stacked up in your system, hence the no go for feeling the opiates. I don't want to preach but you should take good hard look at your life after getting on maintainence, regardless of how the girlfriend treated you etc, etc. You are lucky to be given the chance of being on maintainence, why blow it. I hope you can figure things out and be ok, but sounding like a victim being on subs isn't ever going to attract anyone, i dont want to sound harsh, but why whine when you have options, the subs will clear out, just at lengthy time period, best to you.

Last edited:
1 bag of dope sniffed or 10 percocets probably just wasn't enough to match up to the tolerance that you had from being on 16mg/day, I was talking about this in another thread, but it seems like after being on ORT for a long time, even when I've discontinued methadone or subs, my receptors seemed fried. I could nod on dope, if I shot enough of it, but I never really got a good rush again, and it stayed that way for two whole years after being kicked off the clinic and shooting dope every single day. My conclusion is that it takes basically a few months for your opiate receptors to repair themselves to the point where you will get that euphoria again.

Now, I have no idea why you didn't get high off of amphetamines or crack. I mean, I personally hate crack and never understood what the 'high' was, it was always like, take a hit, then freak out and try to fix up my shot of heroin as fast as possible before cops could bust me so I could end the misery of being on crack. Amphetamines however are the only drugs that I've always seemed to be sensitive to and never had a problem getting high on them.

I got to ask, why, after going over 1 week without subs did you go back to taking 16mg, why not 2 or 4mg?

I didn't go back to taking 16 regularly, it just took that much before I didn't feel sick anymore. Then I went another few days without any and took a half one and somehow ended up nodding and feeling good. It just doesn't make any sense to me.

I have been taking maybe a half sub every 2 or 3 days trying to taper off for the last 3 months. My tolerance shouldn't be that high I would think.

You had pretty hefty oxy habit, then they put you on high dose of subs, as you know, subs half life is long, you have a lot of sub stacked up in your system, hence the no go for feeling the opiates. I don't want to preach but you should take good hard look at your life after getting on maintainence, regardless of how the girlfriend treated you etc, etc. You are lucky to be given the chance of being on maintainence, why blow it. I hope you can figure things out and be ok, but sounding like a victim being on subs isn't ever going to attract anyone, i dont want to sound harsh, but why whine when you have options, the subs will clear out, just at lengthy time period, best to you.

I paid 400$ out of pocket every month at a clinic that just cares about making money. I began to feel like I was paying a drug dealer for a drug that just causes me to be addicted to a substance that just makes me feel normal. I wanted to get off them. Luck had nothing to do with it, I'm glad I went at first because I was really bad off but I honestly just wish I would have done like a 2 week taper.

kratom is your solution whether you want to get clean completely or just use as a better maintenance substance, its not even hard to switch from subs to kratom, kratom is so much better than subs.

let me ask you this, can you get high on weed? i have been on and off subs many times but i have come to conclude i really dont like them. they have their use in coming off big dope habits but as for maintainence they are no good. they numb your emotions and make like a wall between you and your feelings. thats my theory on why you cant get high. you are probably looking for an emotional high when you take drugs and the sub has you so numb that you cant feel it. basically being on subs gives you most of the negative effects of having a dope habit (numb emotion, depression, inability to enjoy regular pleasures) only without the getting high part which is the only redeeming feature of opiates in the first place.

Wow, paying the clinic that money was pretty much what you said, well, I hope you don't feel too bad when you are out of subs, try go kratom route or if you can get hold of some subs for a taper, might help. I would hate to see you go thru a terrible withdrawl after the time and money spent on it. Some people are able to use opiates sparingly to get off maintainence but not many, tred cautiously, for hr sake. Let us know how it goes, the support is here.

If I am not mistaken, doesn't sub have narcan in it? This causes opiates and benzos to not work as well, due to the narcan blocking opiate receptors.

I did get stoned, but I was never really a pot smoker. I've heard about kratom but wouldn't even know where to get it. I just want to be off this crap, and be able to binge on something if I want to. It has completely wrecked my life.

If I am not mistaken, doesn't sub have narcan in it? This causes opiates and benzos to not work as well, due to the narcan blocking opiate receptors.

The effects of Naloxone in Subs is a virtual non-factor considering the binding affinity of Bupe is so much higher than the Naloxone. The Naloxone was added as a deterrent for IV use - which has been proven to be ineffective for that as well. You can't get high because Bupe has raised your tolerance to an extreme level. Bupe is exponentially more potent than other opiates. I suspect the crack/benzo part of it is mostly mental. The half-life of Naloxone is right around 30-80 minutes and is poorly absorbed sublingually anyway. Most people I know spit the sub spit out after 15 mins. or so because it prevents the Naloxone from absorbing in your gut. I only do this because it gives me a headache....I have no idea why everyone else does it.

Give it a while without taking any sub and you MIGHT get lucky enough for your tolerance to get down low enough to where you can get an ok buzz off other opiates, but you have a long road ahead of you to get that tolerance down to a reasonable level. It takes quite a long time to clear it out of your system, especially if you're stacked up from long-term use. Even then, your tolerance is through the roof and there isn't a lot that's gonna get you off for quite a while.

I wish people would research their drugs a little better before taking them and ESPECIALLY before throwing around advice when they know absolutely nothing about the subject. Geesh!

Edit: Benzos work on completely different receptors and bupe has no affect on their effectiveness whatsoever.

Read the Suboxone Mega Thread, it will expand on what I've written here and tell you basically everything you need to know.

Last edited:
Had I known that once I got on sub maintenance I could never get high again... I wouldn't have done it. I started going to a sub clinic back in August. I had previously abused opioids about 5 years and had about 180-240mg a day oxy habit. I would occasionally sniff heroin, tried banging it a few times but I think I was doing something wrong because I never got the rush. Anyway I've been on subs for about 7-8 months now. They started me on 16 mg a day. After about 4 months of that I started taking less and saving them. Eventually, I got down to taking a half sub every 2 or 3 days. I only have 1 1/2 8mg strips left and I am screwedddd beyond all hope because I stopped going to my clinic thinking I could get off them my own.

Now, my girlfriend breaks up with me and I go relapse except no matter what I do...I can't get that euphoria high I always got with opioids, coke, even adderall got me off. I even didn't take any sub for 8 days to the point I was sick as hell, getting the shits....everything and then finally ate 10 perc 10s thinking I was going to get high.....nope. Just barely took the shits away. Snorted a bag of dope and kinda made me dizzy but no euphoria. Said fuck it...waited 24 hours and took 2 whole 8 mg strips just to feel normal again.

I've even tried other drugs I normally don't do to try and get high....NOTHING WORKS. I did 100$ worth of good crack with a friend... Just made my chest tight and a bit more talkative. Adderall did the same thing. Nothing gives me that high anymore, even just getting by on like half or 1/4 of a sub every other or 3 days. I think suboxone has ruined my brain to where I can't get high.

Monday I am going to get a gram of really good dope. I took half a sub today and I will not take any more for the 48 hours before I get the H. I am going to try banging it until I get high. If that doesn't work.... I don't know what will. I hate this. I wish I had never gotten on subs. I can't even smoke crack and feel it. I feel nothing anymore from anything. The only thing worth getting is Xanax because at least I can sleep. Will this ever go away??? I'm scared I'll never get high again.

Please don't just bang dope until you get high. Even if you aren't feeling the effects, your Central nervous system is. Would suck to die banging dope and not even getting high in the process. The effects on your respiratory system are still happening even if your brain isn't sensing a buzz. Shitty way to go.

OK skipping through the threads I chose to thread your thread your quoted post concerns me - a LOT n so I've not yet read all the other replies as I need to reply to you so apologied to you all I'm not brong rude. OK first I want you to know I'm not judging you, ok n dometimes I can word things wrong somif you worry I'm being a bit off I'm not, honestly.

In normal you're desire to get high would not bother me but on reading your posts your desire to get high seems obsessive n could be dangerous. I'll explain.

Your issue is tolerence (I will admin I don't know enough about naloxone to know how long it's in your system n possinly blocking opiafes so just explaining that I'm going to be referring to tbe buprenorphine componnrnt of suboxone as the bupe is the synthetic opiate. Suboxone has a half-life of 36 hours, unlije Heroin n other opiates which tend to leave the body quicker. Subs withdrawls are lobger lasting between 4-6 werks n are less intense. Most opiates the withdrawal symptoms last for 3-5 day n can be quite intense depending on various faxtors such as dosage, duration, environmental etc.

I'm not quite sure of when the tolerence to buprenorphine goes down but it is a potent substance n is doing its job. Fear not you will be able to take opiates again n feel a high however it won't be for awhile n please please please don't tske large doses of opiates or a stronger opiate hoping to get a high. You risk an overdose which could kill you. Where I live (Wales) they give out naloxone---some places deliver training on how to administer the naloxone, usually in the muscle (IM) in thr thigh through clothing. I stromgly n highly recommend you find out if your area provides n not to use alone. It's up to you if you take this advice but I don't want you do happen to overdose then the person with you can administer you with naloxone.

This is THAY serious. I'm not trying to be mean here n destroy your fun but opiate tolerate can rise quickly n can drop quickly too. This is why so many recivering addicts, after a lengthy break, overdose because they think they can take the same dose as theu dod before. They can't. They're tolerent has gone down. Your situation is different n
That you've had a lengthy break from opistes but by being ob opiate replacement therapg. So many people want to get that opi high, think they can, realise they can't come to the conclusion that you have (that you'll never get high again as a result of subs) keep dosong more n more opiates to get the desires high, overdose, leading to possible death.

I hope you don't mind me asking (please correct me but I'm assuming thatbyr in the U.S?) but did your doctor give you any harm-reduction asking prior to going onto yout suboxone programme? In the UK we're allocated a key worker for regular visits n only see the doctor to get on maintenance, three-monthly n if there's any major issues. I Personally feel that they should be gibing out information like this as it saves lives.

You're more than welcome to contact me by PM if yiu need someone to talk to. I wiukd advise you to read through the suboxone megathread in Other Drugs because when I used to participate in that thread this question would come up so often it really is incredibly frightening of the naivitu n of seeing how addiction affects the mind so much that they'd risk the possibilitybof death ontry n feel that high again (I do understand it I've been there, not overdosed, which is why I want to help
You n others to be careful n keep safe <3

So to conclude your body can feel ooi high again. Opiate-tolerences can go uo / down quickly. Maby people have ODd due tonlower tolerence tgan they realise, after havibg a lengthy break from opiates. After suboxone maintenance opiate-tolerence is higher, frustrating people trying ti achieve the opiate high, often leading them to dose too much n OD. So after taking a break be careful with doses n knowvthat you won'g be avle tontake the sane dose as you did during active addiction <3

Evey

Last edited:
not for nothing, but this is all in your head. there is NO PERSON who cannot get high on ANY drug just because they have taken Suboxone; legit, its a mental thing, man. this is coming from someone who has been on/off Suboxone or the past 6-7 years and would shot 1-2G's of dope a day. even to this day, after about 12-14hrs I can still shoot dope and get a feel w/o a doubt. no, its not the original feel because Suboxone is in the system and will surly slow down that rush but you are saying you went EIGHT DAYS AND GOT NOTHING, right? well, thats nearly impossible, dude. you are either getting shitty drugs or you truly do not know what you are doing.

you are saying you are going to get a gram of GOOD dope? you do not even do dope really, right? so how do you know its good? also, you are not a shooter, so you are going to try and shoot, miss, and then say the dope sucked. why would you waste a G shooting into something you know nothing about. if anything, you've taken your last sub yesterday (I hope much less than 8MG) and plan to use Monday, right? well, if you sniff through that bad as you normally would and get NOTHING from it, then you are getting shitty dope or you have drove your tolerance through the roof.

just as a heads up; people have "thought" they still had the tolerance they once did when wrapping up a Suboxone splurge and ended up ODing thinking they could shoot the same dope they once did before. just BE CAREFUL w/ what you do; esp. if you are going to be shooting since you say you DONT EVEN KNOW HOW TO HIT A VEIN but yet you plan to try. lol. ill admit, when I first started shooting I did the same and now I am a master, so just be careful and SMARTEN THE FUCK UP!

Suboxone does not ruin lives; it saves lives.