• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Why are "Joint" high's so DIFFERENT than PIPE high's?

Major difference between a joint and a bowl/bong. With a bowl you are inhaling much more THC at a time. Think of it like this. If you roll a .5 joint, and it takes you 15 puffs to finish it, that's .0333 grams per hit, with a .3 bowl that you finish in 3 hits, that's .1 g per hit. Three times as much THC per hit will definitely lead you to get much higher faster. Bowls and bongs tend to have a slightly higher BA as well from my experience.

i have once read blunts and joints yeild the less thc content, bongs and vapes giving you the most, for me it seems right because after i have smoked grams a day of dank out of bongs,bubblers, pipes i dont get as high off rolled cannabis unless its got hash oil on it.

i have noticed others saying blunts and joints get them higher but i suspect its because there smoking alot more quantity in one session, and not smoking enough out of the bong or pipe to get going.

I don't think there is anything to support that. Essentially same ROA, should make no difference.

Same ROA (combusted plant material), sure, but think of it this way.

When you are smoking out of a bowl, you smoke herb down until it is ash. You keep smoking the same bud completely until it is gone.

With a joint, you only smoke the bud until the paper around it burns, then the paper falls off and you waste whatever was unsmoked of the bud.

I have also read that there is a different amount of THC absorbed, highest for bowls and bongs and bubblers, then joints, then blunts in a distant last.

Well I guess oral and vaporizers are actually the most efficient.

^ that might be true but I think it's a bit misleading to you use term bioavailability. For the same amount of smoke inhaled for each I think the bioavailability is the same.

I'm seriously fucking enjoying my low tolerance ATM , I recently moved states and wasnt able to get weed for about a month , I was smoking anywhere from .5 to a gram a day every day for 2 years , when I finally got weed here I only had it for 3 days then none for another 2 weeks then for 4 days both times smoking 2 cones to get to a nice spot for 3 or so hours maybe 2 towards the end , then my pay got delayed so I couldn't smoke for nearly 3 weeks , this time I decided to make a highlighter pope and a one hitter and the highlighter pipe is actually really good and ive also dosed 400mg codeine beforehand , gonn la start investing In some proper paraphernalia soon (been living ghetto for the last 3 years) so I'm hella excited lol

I Think i'm the opposite of everybody in here.. Smoked bong regurlarly for the past few years. Joints and blunts are more of an outdoor/no bong available at a party kind of thing for me.

But, I can hit the bong 2-4 times before I get to what i'd call a decent stoning - whereas usually after smoking 1 joint I find myself being too high at first. I Always put it down to the fact that my bowls probably only have like .1-.2 of bud in there, whereas joints and blunts can have .8 or even a gram plus sometimes.

idk though, maybe you just get used to whatever your main smoking method is - and when you do something different it's a bit of a kick in the chops!

I like to "ease" into the high also. I have a very low tolerance.

yeah about .1 in a bowl probably gets me fairly high (not really high but pretty high) and then i gradually smoke a bit more like every 10-20 minutes until im high as fuck and just need to top up every now and then with a casual pipe hit.

pipe is my favourite way.

I find joints more relaxing and I only take a few tokes of a joint to get my high. My joints usually last for weeks. When I smoke out of a bong I feel like a crackhead or something.

fuck bowls only joints unless I have less then an 1/8th then i have to start saving and that goes straight to the grinder and then into the bowl.

i actually saw an episode of manswers that explains this joint you get around 22% of the cannabinoids bowls you get 72% vapes 92%

i always wonder how much weed you americans smoke, even those with access to medical/"dank"/whatever you call it. i mean, .1g of good weed in one hit out of a bong doesn't get you high as fuck? really, what's up with that? (and i smoked/vaped high quality bud daily for the best part of the last two years or so)

i always wonder how much weed you americans smoke, even those with access to medical/"dank"/whatever you call it. i mean, .1g of good weed in one hit out of a bong doesn't get you high as fuck? really, what's up with that? (and i smoked/vaped high quality bud daily for the best part of the last two years or so)

yeah if i did an antire .1g at once (of good draw) i'd be fucking flying

sounds like americans have high as shit tolerance, probably cus weed is cheaper there.

I'm Canadian and 0.15g of good weed in a bong will hit me nicely. I'd say two or three of those and then I could say i'm "high as fuck".

i actually saw an episode of manswers that explains this joint you get around 22% of the cannabinoids bowls you get 72% vapes 92%

Link?

I'm a 'Merican, about .2-.3 of great weed in a bowl of any kind (pipe, bong, bubbler) will get me pretty damn high but not super high for about an hour or two. So I smoke around .75 - 1.5 grams a day.

Every morning, around 45 minutes after waking, I'll toke maybe .1 or .2, then I'll smoke another .1 or .2 or so every few hours until night time at which point I'll load one or 2 bowls of about .2 or .3 grams. I stay high, but I have trouble making 1/8 last longer than 4 days :\

.1 g of good weed in one hit out of a bong would get me pretty high for a few minutes, but I usually wouldn't be satisfied only smoking .1g. To get high as fuck I require 3-5 hits of that size. We might have a different definition of "high as fuck" though. Who knows.

As far as joint vs pipe highs, every time I smoke a joint I feel like I'm not stoned enough and always smoke a bowl afterwards, which always drives the point home. It's like the joint gets me high but doesn't make me as couch locked and tired. I recall reading somewhere that by putting direct flame to pot you get more CBD and a little less THC, so perhaps in methods that burn by smoldering there is less CBD and thus a more awake high, making me feel less stoned. I don't even know if that's true though, I just vaguely recall reading something long ago that differentiated CBD and THC content between different smoking methods due to the application of flame.

Last edited:
In my experience, every smoking method has a slightly different high. Why this is? I don't think we can say for sure, but it is definitely one of the interesting things about weed. Now I got really good at rolling joints and I could take huge hits off them, so I dont think I was necessarily getting more smoke a time with a pipe. But here is how its different to me.

Joint - smoother high. Tends to creep on you. I don't feel it much right away, but a minute after Ive finished the joint I notice I am ripped and still getting higher, then the high plateaus for a bit and then trails off.

Pipe - The high hits me right at the start, even before I can finish smoking the bowl sometimes. It is more disorienting like the OP said, peaks right away often with good euphoria but then trails off sooner. It feels much more "jagged" as opposed to the smooth joint high.

A bong is different still, but I havent used one in so long I cant describe how any more.

Anyway, there are several differences between a joint and a pipe. Who knows which accounts for the difference in high? But it could be some or all of them.

- As has been said, with a joint the smoke is filtered by the plant material in front of it.

- A joint may burn at a different temp

- depending on your personal smoking style, you may be taking different sized hits and or taking them at a different rate

- with a pipe, you have old resin trapped on the inside of the pipe which may influence the high (assuming the pipe has been used before)

- psychological, it is true that your expectations can influence the high

I dont know which of those reasons cause the differences, but I dont believe it is just psychological. After all I didnt expect the effects to be different. I think a joint is far and away the best way to smoke, unless youre a newbie and just want to get blasted by a bong.