• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Why America Is the Only Place in the World Where People Use PCP

phenethylo J

Bluelight Crew
Just a few miles from the White House, in Washington D.C.’s poorer neighbourhoods, the trade in PCP is alive and kicking.
The hallucinogenic anaesthetic drug – mainly smoked via $20 PCP-soaked cigarettes called “dippers” – is the most frequently mentioned illegal substance in criminal case hearings at the city’s Superior Court after cocaine.

Over a quarter of DUI tests in the city come up positive for the drug. More than a third of arrestees who test positive for any drug in D.C. have PCP in their system, the highest rate in the U.S., and more than double the proportion of those testing positive for opioids.
It’s not just a drug closely linked to crime. Data from the Center for Substance Use Research (CESAR) shows that of those admitted suffering from a drug overdose into Prince George’s Hospital Center, a hospital in Maryland which serves DC, around one in four test positive for PCP. Of all drug deaths in 2018 in DC, 14 percent involved PCP.
Yet, bizarrely, just 40 miles down the road, in Baltimore, PCP is almost unheard of.
At the Midtown Medical Center in Baltimore, a half-hour drive from Prince George’s Hospital, typically 0-2 percent of those admitted into emergency rooms in 2018 suffering from a drug overdose tested positive for PCP, according to CESAR data. Just 0.3 percent of drug deaths in 2018 in Baltimore involved PCP.
The contrast between these two cities is a reflection of the picture across the United States.
Analysis carried out by VICE World News has found that while in most areas PCP is MIA, there are hotspots seemingly scattered at random across the country where police have busted huge amounts of the drug during the COVID pandemic.

Most oddly, bearing in mind the transglobal nature of drug markets, PCP is a drug almost entirely restricted to the U.S. It has failed to gain traction anywhere else on the planet.
Why is this substance, unlike many other illicit drugs, so geographically specific, and what does this tell us about why people living in certain places take certain drugs?

PCP, chemical name phencyclidine, was born in America. It was synthesised in the mid-1950s by Michigan chemist Victor Maddox and patented by pharmaceutical firm Parke Davis (now a subsidiary of Pfizer) under the brand name Sernyl, for use as a surgical anaesthetic. However, the drug’s ability to cause hallucinations meant its use in medicine was swiftly curtailed.
In the 1960s the drug’s trippy qualities and feeling of floaty euphoria caught on with psychonauts and hippies seeking to explore the mind. It attracted nicknames such as “angel dust”, “magic mist” and “wobble weed”.
But by the 1970s, as its use spread to a wider crowd of users, PCP gained a reputation on America’s West Coast as a “killer drug”. Gil Scott Heron’s cautionary 1978 song Angel Dust reflected attitudes that it was a drug best avoided. And by the 1980s, the media was flagging a PCP “epidemic” on the East Coast, particularly New York and D.C.

PCP’s particular reputation was a mash-up of the worst rumours about LSD and cocaine, of a mind-bending drug that gave users superhuman strength and made them jump off buildings. In the 1984 film The Terminator, when Arnold Schwarzenegger’s character punches through a windscreen suffering no pain, the police presume he must be high on PCP. Those suspected of using the drug were treated as unhinged, out of control, and potentially lethal. Even though scientists cast doubt on PCP’s ability to engender violence, others have said PCP can produce psychosis and severe hyperthermia, which may cause violent and bizarre behaviour, including disrobing and running about. But like the hoary old stories from over a century ago about Black people on cocaine being impervious to bullets, the “deranged” PCP user was weaponised by the authorities and the media..........

Read full article here

Why America Is the Only Place in the World Where People Use PCP (vice.com)

I've never even heard of pcp in Canada. I can get any drug, my connection even sells lsd. But I've never seen PCP, I don't know anyone who has done it.

I might take a road trip to the USA but even then, I don't like to buy drugs on the street, I'm more a make friends in a bar type of drug buyer. Since its schedule 1 here all the analogues are illegal too. I just cannot believe that I would rip off my clothes in public, that just doesn't seem like something i would do on any drug.

It’s simply not available in Australia. Like lot’s of other interesting substances. If it were I’d give it a go. But Aussies are pretty vanilla drug users really and don’t move out of their comfort zone much.

It's around here but I've never bothered to go hunting for it which is what I'd have to do. Same with ketamine

Not in the UK either. Seems to have been demonised to death over here like methamphetamine.

I've never even heard of pcp in Canada. I can get any drug, my connection even sells lsd. But I've never seen PCP, I don't know anyone who has done it.
It's around, or at least was in the first decade of the 2000s and into the early 2010s, in my city.

I smoked angel dust once. I was on a huge dose of benzos so don't remember much other than the onset. My vision sort of went choppy, like the frame rate was slower, sort of like your view a bunch of slightly disconnected images, like burst mode on a camera. Colors seemed desaturated, nearing on black of white.

Always wondered the connection of a powerful psychedelic as a drug of abuse in American inner cities.

It’s simply not available in Australia. Like lot’s of other interesting substances. If it were I’d give it a go. But Aussies are pretty vanilla drug users really and don’t move out of their comfort zone much.

Some folk have risked customs to try this, I was too scared to as a mate would have flipped it to me but I wouldn't have it alone.

Heard nothing great about it, didn't know it is an anasthetic.

Always wondered the connection of a powerful psychedelic as a drug of abuse in American inner cities.
American cities are so damned full of odd little counter cultures. Even today (and God knows what it is, cause codeine ain't otc here) 'lean' is a very popular drug that subcultures hustle hard in giant ass liter jugs in my city. I've met a few people who have been into 'lean' well after cough syrup was cut off from America. Never been curious enough to ask for any because if it was actual lean, it'd just be some weak ass codeine/promethazine syrup, and if it isn't, well... wtf is it? Fent watered down?

Apparently there's PCP in my inner city as well. I live in one of the more sub-cultured big cities here and I'm kinda excited to get away from the high population to be honest. Saw some young people 'swanging' down the highway going 120mph+ the other week with their vehicles adorned in the 'lean' subculture style, and I'm so glad I'm moving away from that soon.

American cities are so damned full of odd little counter cultures. Even today (and God knows what it is, cause codeine ain't otc here) 'lean' is a very popular drug that subcultures hustle hard in giant ass liter jugs in my city. I've met a few people who have been into 'lean' well after cough syrup was cut off from America. Never been curious enough to ask for any because if it was actual lean, it'd just be some weak ass codeine/promethazine syrup, and if it isn't, well... wtf is it? Fent watered down?

Apparently there's PCP in my inner city as well. I live in one of the more sub-cultured big cities here and I'm kinda excited to get away from the high population to be honest. Saw some young people 'swanging' down the highway going 120mph+ the other week with their vehicles adorned in the 'lean' subculture style, and I'm so glad I'm moving away from that soon.
I always found that strange considering codeine doesn't do shit! Oh sbit I'm badness I'm sippin' lean i ain't fucked up but inliketa get itchy!!

as I understand it, lean is held in high regard simply due to the high price. In the US it can easily go for $40-50 a serving. So wealthy musicians will use it because they can afford it and then the status symbol and cult forms around it

Not in the UK either. Seems to have been demonised to death over here like methamphetamine.
Such a shame. We NEED pcp and meth over here. I'd have so much fun.
its like poor mans ketamine
Really? I always heard it was stronger.

So can you jack it in your vein? Or evap/cook into crystal/powder? Or only smoke it?

Yeah it got replaced on the operating tables by k as k made people less psycho violent towards hospital workers 😂

P-hole, lol. I wanna get in one

Out of all drugs I want to try pcp is the one

Read full article here

Why America Is the Only Place in the World Where People Use PCP (vice.com)
Angel dust, I don't know why anyone would want to take that shit, that makes you psychotic and abnormal strength, what kind of fun is that getting high?