Who likes Happy Hardcore?

I'm more of a speedcore/gabber person myself, but (some) happy hardcore is an occasional guilty pleasure. I actually own a Scooter album. I'm losing points for that one, I'm sure.

I love the new Bonkers albums Sharkey has put out recently. 'Happycore' has merged more and more with freeform, which is so much easier to listen to.. More noise and less cheese! :D

I love Sharkey's new stuff. Hardcore Underground 4 was the shit. I, as usual, agree completely with your tastes, lolly. Good to see you still like what you like =) What a small world... hope you're doing well.

well to me the 90's were more the happy hardcore era. Dj's like clarkee and hicksy , with legendary mc's like sharky and ribs. Its when dance events where still called raves. Now where i live its just events where ppl get smashed and wouldnt have a clue wot style of music they are listening too. Do ya love your hardcore??

From my experience, this kind of music, including hard house, seem to be more like an entry point to most other forms of electronic music.

I don't think there's many people who didn't have a soft spot for it at some time :)
Well said that man.
i still have a soft spot for it after 12 years hehe :D ;)
I still love the stuff from 1994-1995 and am lucky enough to own most of the records from that era. :D

For me, It has never lost its appeal.

I love Sharkey's new stuff. Hardcore Underground 4 was the shit. I, as usual, agree completely with your tastes, lolly. Good to see you still like what you like =) What a small world... hope you're doing well.
Sharkey's retiring this year :(

Going to be a music teacher im led to believe.

Its alright. The drops always fuck with me because they build up so fat.

I think that happy hardcore is a menace to REAL hardcore/gabber, and should be buried and never be exhumed.
Its childish, and generally cannot even be taken seriously as music IMO.
its a bunch of garbage to me, i'm quite ok with the fact that its "cool" to hate on happy hardcore.
hardcore cant be happy, plain and simple.

How far are we going back here ?
Before their were loads of Genres n Sub Genres of "Rave" music i'm talkin 89-95 , the music played out was fukin ace n no one gave a shit what it was called . It was just fat music that went really well with XTC and dancing all nite.

^^^^
It was all Hardcore to me Brimz ;) and still is, I don't hold with all this Old Skool nonsence, for one thing it makes me feel old:p

For me the golden years were 91-95 but I kept on caining it up till 2000=D

^^^^
It was all Hardcore to me Brimz ;) and still is, I don't hold with all this Old Skool nonsence, for one thing it makes me feel old:p

For me the golden years were 91-95 but I kept on caining it up till 2000=D
Ditto

I can't believe how many people here hate it! I used to love it, hardcore from like 2003-2005 was awesome imo.

bizarre.
am i right in my understanding of half of the reason hardcore (GABBER hardcore, not happy) isnt like it was in the 90s is cause happy hardcore helped hardcore in general lose legitimacy as a genre?

I don't think so because aside from the high bpms that both share, happy hardcore is so much different than gabber that it doesn't seem to make sense that they share the word hardcore. Gabber is still alive, it's just not at its peak anymore (which isn't necessarily a bad thing). happy hardcore is dead.

^hardcore is NOT happy hardcore.
you were happy hardcore, or you were hardcore.

I think this all depends on definitions and what era you come from, I started going to illegal free parties in '91 and at that time the music was all considered to be Hardcore this continued IMO until at least '94-'95 the people started talking about Drum and base a separate form of music as well a Jungle although its impossible to really pin point when these separate styles emerged.

Tracks like this :-

Ravers Choice - Volume 2

Released in '93 were not referred to as Happy Hardcore at the time but in many ways paved the way for that genre

I was never into the later stuff referred to as happy Hardcore..stuff like this released in '97

Force And Styles - Pretty Green Eyes

the Genre of Happy Hardcore is really made up of some great Hardcore records from the early '90's and some much later cheesey shite that just doesn't compare to that early euphoric, pure MDMA sound.

Thats my personel view anyhow

Last edited:
I used to love HHC, but I've put it on the backburner since. I still like DJ S3RL though. He has some pretty boss mixes.