Film & Television

Welcome Guest

⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

which is your favourite: Hayao Miyazaki film?

which is it?

• Future Boy Conan

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The Castle of Cagliostro

• Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Laputa: Castle in the Sky

• My Neighbour Totoro

Votes: 2 5.9%
  • Kiki's Delivery Service

• Porco Rosso

• Princess Mononoke

Votes: 8 23.5%
  • Spirited Away

Votes: 13 38.2%
  • Howl's Moving Castle

Votes: 7 20.6%
  • Ponyo on the Cliff by the Sea

• Total voters
When it comes to legends, they don’t come close to the genius of Hayao Miyazaki, whose latest film, "Ponyo", opens shortly in its Americanized Disney version, but was previewed at last month’s Comic Con. His latest, and possibly his last film, centers on a 5-year-old boy and his relationship with a goldfish princess who longs to become human.

At 68, the esteemed director who influenced the likes of Pixar’s John Lasseter, says that the main difference between Ponyo and his previous work, "is that I have aged," he says smilingly in a room at San Diego’s Convention Centre. "And this is a film as a result of my aging, that I made." Asked if this was his most personal film, Miyazaki is thoughtful. "Ponyo just touches the entry point of my personal qualities and you’d have to go much deeper in order to get more personal."

There is no doubt that Hayao Miyazaki is one of Japan's greatest animation directors. The entertaining plots, compelling characters, and breathtaking animation in his films have earned him international renown from critics as well as public recognition within Japan. The Walt Disney Company's commitment to introduce the films to the rest of the world will let more people appreciate the high-quality works he has given the movie-going public.

Hayao Miyazaki was born in Tokyo on January 5, 1941. He started his career in 1963 as an animator at the studio Toei Douga studio, and was subsequently involved in many early classics of Japanese animation. From the beginning, he commanded attention with his incredible drawing ability and the seemingly endless stream of movie ideas he proposed.

In 1971, he moved to the A Pro studio with Isao Takahata, then to Nippon Animation in 1973, where he was heavily involved in the World Masterpiece Theater TV animation series for the next five years. In 1978, he directed his first TV series "Future Boy Conan" (Mirai shonen Konan) then moved to Tokyo Movie Shinsha in 1979 to direct his first movie, the classic "The Castle of Cagliostro" (Rupan sansei: Kariosutoro no shiro).

In 1984, he released "Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind" (Kaze no tani no Naushika), based on the manga (comic) of the same title he had started two years before. The success of the film led to the establishment of a new animation studio, Studio Ghibli at which Miyazaki has since directed, written, and produced many other films with Takahata and, more recently, Toshio Suzuki.

All of these films enjoyed critical and box office successes. In particular 1997's "Princess Mononoke" received the Japanese equivalent of the Academy Award for Best Film and was the highest-grossing (about USD$150 million) domestic film in Japan's history at the time of its release.

In addition to animation, Miyazaki also draws manga. His major work was the Nausicaa manga, an epic tale he worked on intermittently from 1982 to 1984 while he was busy making animated films. Another manga, Hikoutei Jidai, was later evolved into his 1992 film "Porco Rosso".

Miyazaki's other films include 2001 Oscar winner "Spirited Away", 1988's "My Neighbor Totoro", 1986's "Castle in the Sky", 1989's "Kiki's Delivery Service," and 2004's "Howl’s Moving Castle" based on the novel by Diana Wynne Jones. At the time of that film’s release, he indicated it would be his last film, but here we are six years later discussing "Ponyo", one of his most narratively straightforward films. Most of his recent work was released in the US with American actors dubbing the Japanese original.

In Toronto, prior to the premiere of Spirited Away, he was critical of Disney’s interpretation of his work, but backs away from any such criticism today. "I don't think I criticized the English version before, because I think they’ve always done a good job." Though he concedes "Spirited Away" was tougher to Americanize because of its complex themes and structure. "I think that Spirited Away was a very difficult film to understand, but I think they did the best they could, and they did a good job of it, so I don’t really feel critical of what’s been done in the English language versions."

Asked about his future plans, all that Miyazaki said that hinted of semi-retirement was "I’m not making any feature-length films right now. I’m supporting our young staff, and I’m also training, teaching young animators right now." One can only hope he changes his mind.
miyazaki_article.jpg

http://www.darkhorizons.com/news/14820/sdcc-hayao-miyazaki-talks-ponyo-

Thread = fucking win

I went with Spirited Away, but I love all of his movies I've seen (all but Future Boy, The Castle of Cagliostro, Laputa, and Ponyo).

I havent seen every Miyazaki film, but out of the ones ive seen Howl's Moving Castle is my favorite. Spirited Away is a close second

Im so excited to see Ponyo! :)

As I've only seen Spirited Away I had to vote for that. I loved that film and it's really not the sort of thing I thought I liked. I will endeavour to see more of this directors work.

Um, where is Pompoko? That's actually the only Mayazaki I like. Otherwise, I think Gibli's work is mediocre at best.

Fun Fact: I lived right between the forest in which Totoro is set, and the Tama Hills in which Pompoko is about.

that is a fun fact indeed :)

I picked howls moving castle, that was a hard decision to make as well.
I havent seen much of his work in a while but had only seen laputa 2 nights ago, it reminded me in general why it is that I don't mind anime.

The child like nature of Miyazakis work is what draws me.

MEDIOCRE? Jammy......Im gonna have to slap your ass :p This is probably one of the few times we can agree to disagree.

Im soooo excited. Im about to watch Ponyo, in like, 30 minutes. Cant wait!!! =D

^ Hahaha <3

There is actually in Japan a sort of rivalry between Mayazaki and Oshii (Ghost in the Shell et al). The two directors actually criticize each other often, and fans of one are usually not too fond of the other.

I found myself on the Oshii side of the issue ;).

Legendary Japanese animator Hayao Miyazaki ("Spirited Away," "Ponyo") is developing his first ever direct sequel for his Studio Ghibli company reports Cut Magazine via Nausicaa.Net.

The slightly disappointing news is that it's to one of his weaker films, the still utterly entertaining 1992 high-flying adventure "Porco Rosso". That film followed an Italian World War I fighter pilot who was transformed into a pig by a magical curse and now works as a bounty hunter protecting ships in the Adriatic Sea from roving gangs of flying pirates.

The sequel, entitled "Porco Rosso: The Last Sortie", will be set during the Spanish Civil War and for a change will have a male character as the film's protagonist. The original's leading characters were the pig-faced Porco and a young female aircraft engineer.

No word as yet on when the film could score a release. Ghibli's next film, "The Borrower Arrietty", opened last month in Japan though a U.S. release date hasn't been set.

http://www.darkhorizons.com/news/18055/miyazaki-plans-porco-rosso-sequel

I already voted but that was before I saw Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind.

ugh such a TOUGH QUESTION.

i adore Howl's Moving Castle, so much. Heartbreakingly loved it so. But I also loved Princess Mononoke furiously. I haven't seen Ponyo yet but my little sisters say they love it as much as they love Totoro.

but i think Kiki's is overlooked a lot too...really I kind of saw Kiki as the continuing of Totoro, older sister goes off to find her way -- but i might be biased, as i'm an older sister too.

i'll come back to this question.

I like his somewhat violent movies better than his movies about small children. I dug Porcco Rosso but thought the ending was far too abrupt. I wouldn't mind seeing a sequel.

^Hmm, I thought the ending of Howl's moving castle came quickly and brashly, too. I think Miyazaki gets a bunch of somewhat independent creative visions and then tries to string them together into a coherent narrative. This auteur's approach to storytelling clashes with the demand of the mass market for familiar constructions and so often results in lots of makeshift structural haberdashery. I haven't seen Porcco Rosso but now I'm interested to investigate what you're referring to. That, Kikko's Delivery Service, and Future Boy Conan are all that I have left to consume from Miyizaki's oeuvre. It's awesome that he's still making new stuff. I think my favorite is Princess Mononoke.

Um, where is Pompoko? That's actually the only Mayazaki I like. Otherwise, I think Gibli's work is mediocre at best.

Fun Fact: I lived right between the forest in which Totoro is set, and the Tama Hills in which Pompoko is about.

8o8o8o8o8o8o8o8o8o8o8o8o8o8o8o8o8o8o8o8o8o8o
jammy, i am very disappointed in you. im not sure we can be friends anymore. ;):)

i still havent seen ponyo! i really really need to go rent that soon. but then again i should wait until i can get really toasted (i havent been smoking trees recently :()

You have included 42 images in your message. You are limited to using 25 images so please go back and correct the problem and then continue again.

lolwut?!

I voted for Princess Mononoke, but I've enjoyed all of Miyazaki's films and I count Howl's and Spirited Away on the same level as Mononoke. Still need to see Kiki's, Laputa and Porco Rosso. I wish there were more animators like Miyazaki out there.

I'm a big fan of traditional cartoon animation, and he represents everything great about the medium. There's something about hand-to-paper that gives it a life all its own that CGI doesn't have; usually when I watch a CGI animated film I'm struggling, to force myself not to subconsciously notice the computer modeling.

I don't usually watch anime, but when I do, I watch Miyazaki. Stay Ghibli, my friends. :D