• MDMA &
    Empathogenic
    Drugs

Welcome Guest!
  • MDMA Moderators:

When was the term MOLLY first utilized to designate MDMA? As in what is its ORIGIN?

In the early 90's ( central U.S.) the term "molly" was used as a shorter reference to the word molecule. Refering to the pure molecule of mdma.

This and EXACTLY this, with the only stipulation that the first time I heard it I was living in the mountain states, probably circa 1997.

Folley heads up: Adam, eve, empathy etc were all old hat by the 1984 ban in the USA. I think ecstasy was used because it was easier for people to understand than empathy. Plus empathy is a good thing while ecstasy sounds like some one using something to escape reality!!! War on drugs needs drugs to have names that have negative associations not positive ones. :)

As for molly I only heard it used in the last 5-6 years in oz. I first thought it was a reference to Molly Meldrum, tongue in cheek. Heard Mandy long ago same as "E", "X", "ekkies", "pills" and maybe "beans" in the 90's. I think the word "Molly" kind of now unofficially represents bk MDMA vs MDMA. Just an assumption.

Last edited:
Branded MDMA pills (with logos) are so much more fun than bk-MDMA / methylone / MDMCAT / M1 capsules. I wish the distributors of 'molly' would at least put in a better RC than methylone. For example, mephedrone / 4-MMC.

Last edited:
What an interesting idea for a thread! I had just assumed it was given a female name that was short and started with M, like MDMA (it seems that people like to give female names to musical instruments and drugs sometimes).

I also hate when people say "E's." It sounds very amateurish, like they've never had it before. As if someone asks you "Would you like some beers/soups?!"

In Aus they pills are called pingas or dingas, i rarely hear people calling it molly. If they have crystal mdma they just call it powder.

pingaz dingaz eccas pills caps e x xtc rocks beans molly rolls candy disco biscuits hug drug md mda mdma ecstasy

lol

I've enjoyed this discussion very much. SWIM was slinging moon rocks on the corner just the other day, but i didn't know what they were at the time.

I've always hated the "molly" slang, it's definitely of hippy origin as opposed to rave origin...The hippy slang for drugs always sounds super cutesy and annoying to me...

People call DMT "Deamsters".....same family of annoying...

Someone was mentioning the term "Adam" becoming old-hat by 1984?! I don't think ecstasy even caught on as a niche drug until '88 or so in NYC and other major US cities...Even in the '90s is wasn't a common drug that many users of other drugs had even tried....2000 is when it really "sold out" and became something everyone had to try...

Think it caught on much earlier on a widespread level in England than anywhere else....

It's always be "E" or "rolls", with rolls being actyally a pretty obscure name for it early on...don't remember anyone ever saying they were "rolling" that much in the '90s...everyone said "E-ing"...

MDMA was pretty popular in Texas in the early-ish Eighties, IIRC, when it was known as Adam and wasn't subject to controls.

"Molly" is definitely from the hippy genre. I went to my first festival in 1999 and had some shwilltard stumble up to me and say "GOT MY MOLLY?" Im like, what? (I had never done MDMA before but knew what E was) I said what the hell is Molly? He said, "Molly? LIKE MOLECULE?" all angry and stumbles off. Ever since that incident I heard it everywhere. I never raved, always just did jam shows. It always meant MDMA in powder form.

i read that that texan dude came up with the name, or at least thats how he described it. he was the one who got hella rich off it's distribution for that sweet year or two in texas. he was training for religious school, and then found out about the drug. it's such a fucking silly story, i imagine owen wilson would play him. dont remember his name but you can find out about him (and hear him talk) in ecstsay rising that documentary that was put out by investigative reporting. watched it yesterday.

also, you can't confirm that its some hippy stuff if that's the first time that you came across it. my pre-school teacher was the first one to tell me about death, but i don't think that death is some pre-school name, ya mean?

oh but i dont think that texan came up with it. sources are so disputable on this type of stuff, you know? it's like, you can't know for sure just because one source said one thing and another said another. one book i was reading said that shulgin worked for dow chemical laboratory, and another said he worked for dole. you know, the fucking fruit company that provides your bananas. funny, yeah? maybe they ain't so different after all....

Last edited by a moderator:
In the documentary, he states he was getting it from California. Also, he was using MDMA to grow closer to God. At first he was just giving it away but after awhile started charging.

Supposed to be clean mdma but pretty much a capsule full of random powder.
Moon rocks also very diseptive. Any one with current black market experience could tell you there is rocked up methylone that looks almost identical to mdma rocks.

Molly is such a stupid name and I'm sick of hearing it in reference to any MDMA product. I know it's an older name, but it hadn't blown up yet when I had come into the scene. It was E, beans, ills, and pokes (this was when pokeballs had just come out, I'll admit I'd get a good chuckle in at the dudes maneuvering through the crowds going "poke poke poke poke" lol)

I have no way of knowing for sure, but I'd say "molly" was mostly popularized by the late '90s Phish drug scene...never really heard it before then...and ravers just called it pills, capsules or grams of "powder"...because I remember hearing people calling it that and not knowing what they were talking about the first few times....It's funny how mainstream a term it's become in the last few years....that it's actually made it's way into mainstream hip-hop songs...I always picture some blond dreddy kid with Jnco's saying "Super dank molly Bro!"....

^ I wish anyone wore jnco's anymore! I think you meant cargo shorts, sweet tank, and a neon fanny pack all brought to you by American Apparel.

In Aus they pills are called pingas or dingas, i rarely hear people calling it molly. If they have crystal mdma they just call it powder.
Pingas is fairly new terminology probably the last decade or so here in OZ. I think it kind of refers to the faact most ozzie pills are just speed hence the "pinging" effect and the name. Just an assumption.

E has been used since MDMA became a popular dance drug almost 30 years ago. I use the word E and have not really been into MDMA since 2000. Does that make me an amateur questforstarfish? Perhaps I am as I don't use it much/at all these days. As an example I'm going to a rave this Friday and my goody bag I have to pick from includes 100 mg 2cb, 2 x 25c nbome 1000 ug tabs, 2 x 25i nbome tabs 1000 ugs, 500 mgs MXE, 500 mg amphetamine, 40 mg aco dmt, a few clonazepam 2 mg, morphine sulfate tablets 30 mg, LSD, ketamine and MPA. Perhaps my tastes have changed as I've gotten older and maybe now days I am an amateur to MDMA lol.

^ I wish anyone wore jnco's anymore! I think you meant cargo shorts, sweet tank, and a neon fanny pack all brought to you by American Apparel.

Haha, yeah American Apparel is like old Navy, except it's $60 for a plain solid color t-shirt as opposed to $10...I guess the price of things goes up considerably when it's not being produced by 11 year old Malaysians making 73 cents a day!

Up until 2 years ago, I still had a pair of Jnco shorts, with a big, gaudy dragon embroidered down the back left leg! I guess the closest things you still see to Jnco's nowadays are those big black balloon pants with the straps(or whatever they are) that you see the emo/goth kids running around with...