• MDMA &
    Empathogenic
    Drugs

Welcome Guest!
  • MDMA Moderators:

When was the term MOLLY first utilized to designate MDMA? As in what is its ORIGIN?

dertechnovikinger

Greenlighter
Hello all!

I am doing a research report on MDMA and moral panics. As we all know, throughout the 1990s MDMA or quote in quote "MDMA" products were known widely as ECSTASY. however, in the 2000's, at least in the united states, the preferred colloquialism became "MOLLY", which of course, is supposed to designate PURE MDMA from stuff that's loaded with filler/other/hazardous shit.

however, i was wondering, what is the ORIGIN of the word "Molly"? Yes, I've heard it stands for Molecular but i'm not buying that.

Danke schoen!

In the early 90's ( central U.S.) the term "molly" was used as a shorter reference to the word molecule. Refering to the pure molecule of mdma.

It's "molly"cule, really. It refers to the crystal form of the drug, not necessarily pure but it's not mixed with binders/fillers like pills are so people said it was the "pure molecule"

It's drug slang though, and not even good slang at that... so finding any actual information besides what was made up on Urban Dictionary is going to be extremely hard.

i prefer moon rocks cause you know they pure.

Around my area people throw that term around as much as molly. It all means nothing, though. No matter what people call it they usually end up getting M1 anyways.

Around my area people throw that term around as much as molly. It all means nothing, though. No matter what people call it they usually end up getting M1 anyways.

Laugh's posts are usually saturated with irony. I think you might have missed that.

The first time I heard the term 'molly' was around 1996. At that time, methylone was unheard of. I don't know what happened to all the pressed pills though.

^ It's just more expensive to try and press a pill than it is to try and sell crystal, too much hassle for a sub-par product IMO.

Just as long as you stipulate the word "Molly" is used within the USA, no where else.. we can all be friends.

"Mandy" is common in the UK (fucking southerners), who knows where it came from, every drug has slang.

i think the term molly is stupid, most people that refer to mdma as molly don't even know what mdma is, and they think ecstasy is a completely different drug than molly. it's sad how uneducated most mdma users are. i think that's why it's so easy for people to sell off bunkass shit.

i liked calling them xo's. i think people called them xo's because tabs are "x" shaped in an "O", and they create feelings of love. that is my theory though lol. but where i'm located, tabs are impossible to find...

Here in Norway we mostly call it Emma. A little depending on dialect, MDMA is pronounced emmdee-emma.

I like the non plural term E.

That is still my main slang term for it.. When I first asked my hook up if she could get E she didn't know wtf I was talking about tho lol.. Then I explained to her what "Molly" really was and she understood. Funny thing is E would probably go more unnoticed by law enforcement than Molly now.. Everyone knows who Molly is now a days..

Isn't E or X short for Ecstacy as in xtc pills (not pure MDMA)?

I always say E when I'm talking about XTC and Molly when I'm talking about pure MDMA.. please tell me I've been doing it right

Isn't E or X short for Ecstacy as in xtc pills (not pure MDMA)?

I always say E when I'm talking about XTC and Molly when I'm talking about pure MDMA.. please tell me I've been doing it right

I think either form you buy it in you should be expecting pure MDxx.. whats actually in what you get is up to the people that prepare them tho. I guess right now in pop culture Molly is the correct thing to ask for if you are looking for pure E.. but who knows what you are actually getting.. even if you test it.. these days they have stuff to throw off the test kits.. without a GC/MS there is just no way to be 100% sure.

If it was up to me I would always just get pure powder or crystals.. then if I feel I need to mix some speed or caffeine in to keep me out of the cuddle puddle then that would be up to me. I have been lucky lately and have gotten stuff that goes blue to black really fast.. so I am assuming what I am taking is as pure as anything else out there.