View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

When I'm 64...

jbow

Greenlighter
I have been lurking here for a long time but I have a question, several actually.

I'm finally 64 (like in the BEATLE song). I'm fighting degenerative disk disease and either cluster headaches or chronic stress headaches.
My doctors have me on several drugs, some of which I'd like to titrate off of. Some I have dropped already. I have two heart stents, I didn't have a heart attack, I had no symptoms but since ALL the men on both sides of my family die from either heart disease of accidents, in 2007 asked to be checked. I had two major blockages but everything since has been OK. They had me on more blood pressure meds (BP meds) but I took myself off most and off all statin drugs. My BP runs about 175/75 now.
SO.. I am on:
2.5mg Bystolic
20mg Lisionpril
40-50mg of hydrocodone
1mg ofklonopin 2x a day (if I don't take it I have a bad headache every day, I don't like them but I like the headaches less).
2x fioricet
5mg melatonin
4mg tizanadine
Dexilant for reflux
Plavix
Melatonin at bedtime
Sometimes I take .25mg of Xanax too because it, along with the other stuff makes for EPIC dreams.

I think that's pretty much everything. Some vitamins etc, too.

So, I have a friend who has feelers out for some LSD. I'm thinking of trying some microdosing. I have no one to sit with me and my wife would not be "on board" so no ego loss or anything for me, lol. I do remember enjoying half doses back in 1971 a LOT. Of course I liked the big doses of Window Pane and Sunshine too. and al the other tabs.
I've advised my friend, who has friends in low places, to at least ask his guys if they have any certainty what we get wont be MBOMe, but I'll use a little piece and some UV light to be sure.

Question 1: As far as you know do any of my regular meds conflict with Lucy? I know the benzos may take the sparkle off and I have a plan for that I'll mention below for input.
Question 2: I have a way wo get spores. Would any of my meds couse me a problem there?
Question 3: I am looking at getting both a sample pack of some of the ergoline analogs to try. Any thughts on that?
Question 4: The 4-HO-MET 4-__-____ varieties or 5-HO/5-ACO... just all those type of RCs. Considering low doses, is there anything that comes t mind that I should be aware of?
I do not want to go to the hospital or be in the local newspaper. (I'm not 20yo... I'm 64. I have kids and grand kids and a wife with a public career in a smallish town.) ...and I certainly don't want to die BUT.. I am not talking about taking even a full dose of anything but starting with a corner, a very low dose then to just above threshold and work up from there.

I hope I have not violated any rules or asked too many (or stupid) questions.

I hope to get some relief from headaches, some relief from some OCD and other malfunctions. I truly believe in the medicinal value of Dr. Hofman's child. I cured a cold (or a bad allergy attack) twice back in the day so I KNOW they are good for different things. Twice I had really bad nasal congestion and was starting to feel crummy. I dropped a tab of something. Net day everything had a slight burnt smell. Next day it was all gone. I think these molecules have benefits most people have not dreamed of.

I'm ready and excited but don't want to get myself in physical trouble. I never, out of well over 300 times, ever had a bad trip (a bummer, lol). Any advice is appreciated and if I've said too much let me know and I will edit... but I'm not much worried. I stopped using the acronym SWIM or "my dog" a long time ago. I don't think anyone really cares unless you start to go into business (or in public). Anyway, I figure I'm free. "They" may disagree but I only have one life. I figure to try and make the best of it.

Thanks again.

J

I'm 64 too but no daily medicines at all.
you can get the new lysergamides but take quarters or halfs no problem.
my take is your bp is a bit high,
so cut the starches, no more bread for you!
try to eat buckwheat instead of wheat or rice products and sardines
and start walking at least a mile per day

^
Oh that's right after all, had to check three times. Strangely the diastolic pressure is really fine, but the systolic pressure is in a dangerous range. On the brink of a hypertensive crisis.

The benzo's and also the opioid AND the barbiturate in fioricet all dull a trip enough that even full doses become a bit 'tame' and relatively uneventful, so microdosing seems a little pointless if you ask me. Maybe that also means that it limits the risks from trying LSD... but you would likely want to take a high enough dose to compensate for the limited effects, but still need to build it up slowly and carefully because it is hard to predict how much you'd need to take. I'd arrange a cuff to measure heart rate and blood pressure so that you can take advantage of having to build your dose slowly over time (don't take anything more than about once a week or like every 5 days if you notice no effect at all because of tolerance).

That way the cardiovascular issues could theoretically be anticipated before you'd be immediately in crisis.

The tizanidine is an alpha adrenergic agonist, LSD is a beta adrenergic agonist and generally does affect the cardiovascular system. Action on both subtypes doesn't seem like a good idea with that kind of systolic BP.

UV light is far from conclusive to test, just make sure your paper does not glow itself so maybe extract a blotter first with a little vodka. Better would be to Ehrlich's test, doesn't seem like you can really afford to take an NBOMe by mistake.

2) Psilocybin mushroom spores? To grow them yourself? How does that have anything to do with medication? You mean all the same questions about mushrooms I guess?

Well it's possibly a bit less of a cardiovascular issue than LSD but shrooms do still have sympathomimetic effects so the issue is not gone. But yes maybe it's better.

How much stimulation (like from caffeine, exercises / movements that increase your heartrate etc) can you handle and what happens, or what are you told is unsafe for you?
Something like LSD does lasts for quite a while so you really have to be able to physically handle the increased cardiac activity... similar to slightly (or moderately) exercising and not being able to stop.
Something like DMT (not discussed here really) would have extra issues like the suddenness of the stimulation which would be more comparable to getting a sudden scare.

3) Lysergamides - other ergoline compounds, analogues of LSD should be expected to have pretty much the same issues as LSD has.

4) I'd avoid 5-MeO tryptamines as they are stimulating and less typically colorfully psychedelic anyway. IMO you can do without them. 4-HO-MET is in my opinion and also by others described as a lighthearted variant of mushrooms. If you want something like a soulsearch or to find a very serious and deep peace confronted with loss or mortality then mushrooms are difficult but effective. But 4-HO-MET is just as trippy and colorful but just a lot more reasonable. Not so easygoing that it becomes a toy with no point though. 4-HO trypts are relatively safe, just like mushrooms are. So the issue would be more of a general one with all these psychedelics being more or less stimulating to begin with... not particularly toxic from being novel chemicals though, as far as 4-HO's are concerned.

The higher the dose of a psychedelic is by the way, and the more it is metabolized in the liver... the more it might become a problem that you are taking so many medications that it may start playing a role in metabolism interaction: the psychedelic could occupy the liver so that it cannot break down your medications as well.
Psychedelics are not typically known for being huge liver hoggers, but the liver is still involved. LSD doses are so low that I really don't think there is much of an issue there, but I don't know about each and every one of these drugs. You aren't considering mescaline but I'd be careful with that for example - the doses are high.
Potency isn't everything - how strongly they bind to and occupy liver enzymes it the big other factor and that varies per drug.... but again: psychedelics are not known to be extreme in that regard afaik.

And yes psychedelics can have effect on the immune system, plus mental effects can have consequences for your physical well-being, not only because of 'mind over matter' type effects placebo also belongs to but also part of the immune system is wired into the brain. We don't understand that too well yet, and also don't seem to know all that much about general effects of psychedelics directly on the immune system.

It's unpredictable whether it has health benefits for you. It really depends: doesn't work for all types of headaches and I think for OCD it can range from very good to very bad. Don't expect it to be a panacea! But at the same time, yes there is plenty of potential in them either way.

The use will always be risky to some degree and nobody here can really tell you how big the risk is exactly. Be prepared to abort your plans if it turns out that the effects are just too dulled and the dosing just becomes too unrealistic at some point (you cannot keep compensating with big doses to counter the depressants beyond a certain point because of the unpredictability of complex combos). So maybe don't buy too many psychedelics all at once before knowing how you respond in general.

I gotta say though, with all of the asked and answered questions, I probably wouldn't do it since you are so close to a hypertensive crisis.

Thanks for not mentioning swimming dogs. :) It's actually not allowed to talk that way on the forum, and it's pointless anyway so your intuition is more or less on the money. No need to be paranoid about personal use... but if someone self-incriminates, saying SWIM isn't going to save you whatsoever, how silly. It's so trivial, no judge or jury would ever buy it.

Last edited:
I'm 64, too. And also looking. A small point of advice; I had a stent at 51, and everything was great until 3 months ago. I knew I had a problem, so I went to the ER, and I found out my stent was 95% blocked. My doctor repaired that, and I'm good again. But he's warned me not to stop taking the statin he's prescribed, as that is what keeps the treated vessel clear. I had quit taking the statin I was prescribed not long after I had my first stent, and he said that was the reason. He said it's really important to keep taking it to prevent gradual re-blockage of the stented vessel.

IMHO, you are a very experienced guy, and I'm no doctor, but I reckon if you start small you'll be fine. As my dear old dad used to say, easy does it.

Wow, thanks for the tip re 4-HO-MET. What do you reckon is a safe, comfortable dose for a novice?

Excellent that you guys participating are exactly 64 :D

It's not a 'my name is Robert Paulsen' type deal right?

http://www.bluelight.org/vb/threads/600145-The-Big-amp-Dandy-4-HO-MET-Thread-Part-2

I think 20 mg of psilocin (the 4-HO-DMT in mushrooms) is more or less a good full dose. 4-HO-MET is only slightly weaker but 20 mg definitely works well.
For a novice you can consider taking only part of that to test the waters.

I agree powdered trypts are a good choice, but also I note
no tension from half or less of blotters of ALD-52
- this could be easier to cut into doses than the measuring of powders.
I give it the geezer seal of approval (I will be 65 in december but I am rarely higher than 127/68 BP and no statins or stents - however I do have super high good cholesterol - scares the doctors - but they are working with a ratio of good to bad cholesterol!)

Excellent that you guys participating are exactly 64 :D

It's not a 'my name is Robert Paulsen' type deal right?

http://www.bluelight.org/vb/threads/600145-The-Big-amp-Dandy-4-HO-MET-Thread-Part-2

I think 20 mg of psilocin (the 4-HO-DMT in mushrooms) is more or less a good full dose. 4-HO-MET is only slightly weaker but 20 mg definitely works well.
For a novice you can consider taking only part of that to test the waters.
IIRC 4-ho-met is slightly MORE potent than psilocon, not the other way around. Weaker in headspace but active at a lower dosage.

Awesome thread. I am getting a lot of tips from people that are older than me. Not 64 yet, but it comes quick as the years fly by. But I can use this info in my 50's.

BP is the main concern. I know I get white coat syndrone at the doctors office and sometimes my systolic pressure is in that range. Then I come home and use cuff (arm cuff for accuracy) and the systolic goes down to about 125. Big differences from the girl at the doctors office taking it and then me doing an average.

Cholesterol facts are going through changes. Too many healthy people have high cholesterol and a lot of unhealthy people have it in the lower range. I tend to go with if heart problems do not run in the family then higher cholesterol, or the current numbers that we are told are higher may not matter. I am willing to bet that the whole notion of high cholesterol will change. The ration of HDL/LDL will matter more than the combined number. Watch for changes as medicine catches up.

My personal opinion on microdosing is it is a waste. Life goes on as normal (for me) if I take such a small dose and don't feel it. Larger doses on occasion are better for me. But others feel differently so don't go by me.

Also someone should compile all of Solipsis's posts and create a harm reduction manual with all the knowledge that comes out. At least it is documented here. :)

Thanks for all the good info. I actually have been looking for the 4-HO-MET for a while but every time I decide to buy it is out of stock. It sounds like what I would most enjoy. I'm not a novice by any means, it's just been a few decades. I lost count around 300 trips, shrooms included. LSD scares me a little since I now have a wife, daughters, grand daughters, and own a business. If you know what I mean... I don't want to be a babbling idiot at the wrong time.
I am looking at titration to get off the klonopin, I don't like what it has done to my memory. It has stopped the daily headaches though. I'm hoping to keep them at bay with something I think is better. I'm seriously considering the ALD-52 also. I know people say Sand was making LSD and just claimed that it was ALD-52 but the Feds seized what? 5 million doses, they would surely have tested it so to say it was ALD would be a nonsensical defense since the government surely knew what it was. I think it actually was ALD and if it was I'm familiar with it from the Orange Barrels and the Christmas Barrels (they were some orange, some red), I'm sure some of you remember. They were GOOD!
I pretty much stopped before blotters, around the time the Window Panes were around and still some incredibly strong tabs. I'm aware of mescaline and its speediness puts me off or I'd be onto some San Pedro. I do think the 4-HO-MET is my best bet. Perhaps I should get a Sample Pack one vendor sells and stay away from the street.
I don't eat much rice or potatoes and no white bread. I do think that low cholesterol is way overrated because of big pharma pushing statins. Lipo proteins crier right through the brain barrier and the "bad cholesterol" carries the "good" to the brain and other places where it is needed. Eating foods high in cholesterol does not raise your levels, your body makes your cholesterol. I think it has a LOT more to do with carbs and sugars than anything else. Done are even referring to high cholesterol as type III diabetes. I watch my carbs and since I started watching them my cholesterol stabilized. I hope I'm ok... but we only have one life. It's miserable enough sometimes without "help" from doctors. I'll continue to see my doctors, get my blood work but I take responsibility for my overall health. You have to because big pharma pushes studies and drugs on the doctors. Big pharma has NO interest in you or me being well. If we are well they cannot sell us pills for our symptoms! I may be wrong but I don't think so. Time will certainly tell.
OH, as for coffee... I drink over 12 oz of Death Wish every day, then take the Fiorocet with caffeine with no bad effects. I have plenty of extra Bystolic if needed but I'm not sure it would be a good idea. My wife has several hundred Xanax, she does not take all the dr prescribes but fills them and keeps them. I've been on the Fiorocet and opiates for well over 10 years. When I sell my business, hopefully around January 2017 I'll look at spine surgery so I can get off them but for now, I have one employee and cannot take the risk of being laid up and him having a accident or event of any kind.
The future looks bright! Flashing actually, lol.
Really! Thanks.
I'll keep you all in the loop and probably have other questions. Also, I live right next to a fire-station with EMTs in case my heart rate or BP gets too high. It has been up to about 200/100 and I didn't even know it. I had left the lisonopril out of my daily pill reminder for a week, DOH!
Thanks again. I feel like I'm with friends.
(Sorry to be so verbose).
J

Last edited:
mesc is a phen type drug resembling the amphetamines so yes to heart rate, that's part of the euphoria of phens.

Are there any psychedelics which DON'T have at least some stimulating effects? Obviously the phenylethylamines seems to be worse in this regard but even drugs widely regarded at mild physically like 4-substituted tryptamines and lysergimides seem to increase blood pressure and heart rate to some degree. It seems to be inextricable from the primary psychedelic effect. With this in mind I think I would avoid psychedelics considering your cardiovascular issues.

I am in your boat but even older(2 stents, no heart damage but excellent lipids with no meds) and have been microdosing with no problem. However, please keep in mind the possibility that even if you begin to feel stimulated that in itself my cause fear and a self fulfilling prophesy. I have, thus far, not been willing to take a proper dose for exactly that reason. Not saying I will not, but as of now, I haven't.

Are there any psychedelics which DON'T have at least some stimulating effects? Obviously the phenylethylamines seems to be worse in this regard but even drugs widely regarded at mild physically like 4-substituted tryptamines and lysergimides seem to increase blood pressure and heart rate to some degree. It seems to be inextricable from the primary psychedelic effect. With this in mind I think I would avoid psychedelics considering your cardiovascular issues.

Not likely if NBOMe's are getting psychedelics close to selective as 5-HT2a agonists and they still have a myriad of issues. Don't know if it is necessarily from downstream effects or if it could be solved if there was such a thing as psychedelics particularly selective for 5HT2a receptors only in certain brain regions.

To the op. Your BP is dangerously high (i am a registered nurse btw) and i highly recommend you start taking statins again. There has been some controversy over their effectiveness but overwhelming peer reviews show they are effective.I am no fan of big pharma but they do have a commercial intrest in keeping people alive. Statins are very effective in my experience.I would not recommend taking psychedelics when you are hypertensive.
Microdoses would probably be fine but i would work on getting that BP down if you plan on living a while.

Isn't it more likely to increase the heart rate? I dont know, it's what I thought. I'll study up on it.

I'm 64, too. Mescaline causes slight tachycardia and hypertension, but can also cause bradycardia. Anyway, the cardiovascular effects are relatively milder than the 2C-X and DOX series.

I had no idea we had so many elders here. That's pretty awesome, cool thread. :) Definitely get an Ehrlichs kit and learn how to use it if you are taking "LSD". Lots of fakes going around, unless you live in certain areas of abundance or happen to know the right person. As you mentioned, you don't want to get any of that nBOME poison.