• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Addiction What's your method to defeat triggers?

I won't add here, as it would be irresponsible and counter the ethos of HR as my coping mechanisms are shameful and simply involve more of certain drugs than my body wishes to tolerate in order to make time move again each time it winds to a halt.

But hypnotherapy I do believe in. It's valid stuff. A decent hynotherapist tailored recording.

I need to do this too, I know a good lady, wanna do it just right though to hit the nails on the head.

Was a plan in 2020.

Plans get delayed though, or scuffed.

It likely won't happen now in honesty but depending how the future is paved maybe....

I have many plans on the way wayside.

I've just been through a spell of drinking every day. I'm not sure what's happened but I seem to black out nearly every time I drink now and then people tell me the next day what I did. I've never really had that before but I think that is the reason that will stop me drinking.
I've done some horrible stuff and having no memory of it at all is worrying.

hangovers > high

so if im paying for days from that high, that outweights and muddies the reward from the high itself

i cant stand hangovers and the feeling of being unbalanced and knowing that im directly causing that unbalance, i just don't do it - it's not worth it

most drugs actually suck anyway

I have to be extra careful when I'm actually feeling good. If I'm feeling okay mentally the "I can do it once, it'll be okay, then I'll get right back on track tomorrow" thoughts will start. You never realize how far it will actually set you back though. I've been through this pattern enough that I should know better.

I already know the answer is to simply wait until it passes, and they do always pass. It's about distracting yourself long enough and talking yourself down.

But I'm curious if anyone has any anecdote tips for how they avoid acute relapse triggers?

Specifically I'm dealing with alcohol cravings right now. I'll feel fine all day then suddenly around 2pm the urge to drink is overwhelming.

How do you deal with cravings?
I actually do find bluelight very helpful for this. When I’m craving I have very selective memories of my substance use. I only remember the pros of using. The pain relief. Relieved agony of unaltered consciousness. That sort of thing. But for some reason, I totally forget about the bad sides, or at best even if I’m trying to to recall the bad things the bad things seem to pale in comparison with the pros.
Fortunately, reading different posts from people about their withdrawal or their addiction fuelled crises reorientates me to reality in a way recall from my own experiences can’t. I have no idea why this is. But I donno. I think it’s worth giving it a solid try.

I have to be extra careful when I'm actually feeling good. If I'm feeling okay mentally the "I can do it once, it'll be okay, then I'll get right back on track tomorrow" thoughts will start. You never realize how far it will actually set you back though. I've been through this pattern enough that I should know better.
happens to me, too

something my father (life long alcoholic) once said to me: "Every time something good happens in my life I always screw it up by drinking"

it sticks in my brain like a splinter, it has become painfully true in my life as well

any time I'm feeling good, my brain assumes getting fucked up would make it even more good

For me, I very quickly think of everything I'd lose. I think how I'd feel if the family relationships I've rebuilt while sober and the girlfriend I have all suddenly went from my life. It would destroy me.
Strangely enough my girlfriend left me a week after I made this post LOL, ah well, I got my family anyway.

Simple, for me I think of the consequences. Severe anxiety, seizures, psychosis, forced hospitalization, possible coma and death. I'm an all or nothing person. I either drink nothing or I drink 30 beers in a day, 100g+ kratom daily or none, 200mg+ diazepam or none, etc etc...

For alcohol cravings, an old trick* that always worked for me was to eat something sweet. I kept candy bars handy just for this purpose. A hunk of chocolate washed down with coffee worked instantly.

* Very old-- this is mentioned in Alcoholics Anonymous (the AA "Big Book")
A sugar/ milk/ chocolate combo work's against craving's to Ethanol?

Why don't I know about this, I can get all three substances mentioned OTC. What if you leave out thee milk? I am allergic to it, does it matter.

A sugar/ milk/ chocolate combo work's against craving's to Ethanol?

Why don't I know about this, I can get all three substances mentioned OTC. What if you leave out thee milk? I am allergic to it, does it matter.
It's primarily the sugar that stops cravings.
Get it in whatever form you like best.

Edit--- Sometimes I'd just take a swig of honey.

Sugar definitely curbs drug and alcohol cravings. But sugar itself is very addictive so be careful you don't get addicted to it too 😆

Sugar definitely curbs drug and alcohol cravings. But sugar itself is very addictive so be careful you don't get addicted to it too 😆
Sugar is indeed addictive.
But I guarantee that if you saw me in my severe alcoholism (which lasted decades) you'd say Eat all the damn sugar you want, dude!

Sugar is indeed addictive.
But I guarantee that if you saw me in my severe alcoholism (which lasted decades) you'd say Eat all the damn sugar you want, dude!
Hahaha omg me too mate!! Sometimes my husband gets up me for eating/drinking way too much sugar but then I'm like "hey it's the lesser of all the evils!" And that shuts him up for a while 😆

Hahaha omg me too mate!! Sometimes my husband gets up me for eating/drinking way too much sugar but then I'm like "hey it's the lesser of all the evils!" And that shuts him up for a while 😆
Oh hell yes!
For instance I am now addicted to kratom.
Some folks say oh well you're still a drug addict.
But here's the thing: I used to be addicted to oxycodone & hydrocodone. Kratom is 1/4 the cost and available everywhere any time. And never contains fentanyl.
I can live with that.