Film & Television

Welcome Guest

⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

Film What's the last film you saw? v. Why doesn’t Peter Jackson wear shoes?

American Bombing: The Road to April 19th

A documentary about the Oklahoma City bombing in 1995, and the lead up to that event

Features interviews with Katherine Belew, a historian who wrote a decent book on the topic (“Bring the War Home”) that I read in a class for skool.

I had forgotten a few of the details of the story but there are definitely unanswered questions regarding Oklahoma City. Even though McVeigh subsisted off the white power underground during the 90s, the funding for the action & perhaps even some of the reasons regarding why that particular target was chosen remain obscure. I think it’s definitely clear that some others in the movement were directly/indirectly involved in the planning and execution of the bombing…but ultimately the federal government, chagrined after failing to convict a host of movement activists on sedition charges in 1988, gave a pretty narrow focus on McVeigh and Nichols. Nichols claims that the operation benefitted from the actions of a “rogue FBI agent” who essentially directed the actions of McVeigh & co. but who knows

The detail about the bombing taking place on the same day as Richard Wayne Snell (a white supremacist revolutionary & murderer who had previously identified the Murrah building in OKC as a target to fire homemade missiles into) was scheduled to be executed, that was an interesting detail I thought. Also how closely the OKC bombing resembled a similar bombing in the book “the turner diaries”, from how the bomb was constructed to even the time it was detonated

One other thing I forgot to mention about this movie that I found interesting (and which ties in tangentially to the “war on drugs”) was that McVeigh was asked when he thought things really started to “go wrong” with this country, and he said that he thought things really started to lurch in a negative direction during the 1980s, when the police became “militarized” as a result of the escalation in the drug war at that time. The usage of military hardware at Waco (after which McVeigh swore revenge against the federal government) was justified on the specious grounds that the Branch Dravidians were operating a meth lab in the compound

I watched "Leaving Las Vegas" last night/today. It is definitely some of Nicolas Cage's better acting. I found the whole film a bit depressing, with brief moments of levity in-between the darkness. Definitely worth a watch. It left kind of a bittersweet feeling in my mouth. I don't know if we get any real catharsis in the end, but perhaps a better insight into the nature of alcohol addiction and that feeling of helplessness really shines through. 7.9/10

Last edited:
The Pyramid (2014)

Decent enough popcorn horror flick (archaeologists find a hidden pyramid under the desert and all hell breaks loose) - used to hate people getting trapped underground but this film has grown on me over the years.

the coffee table

i had seen it billed as a dark comedy and as a horror film. to me, it is neither but it was hard to watch and pretty horrific

if you like dread, anxiety and tension, you should enjoy it.

alasdair

Is it scary? Is it well made( good script, good acting, good production quality ect...?)

i wouldn't say it's scary as much as very troubling.

script and acting were good. it's not a high production value movie. it feels more gritty.

alasdair

Let me first say I got the movie as part of a package deal, used, really really cheap and my OCD made me buy it. I had to save up pills to sedate myself to watch it. But I finally sat through, Revenge of the Sith.😞 I had to have all the movies from Star Wars and I finally forced myself to watch it. Horrible, but I got and watched the prequels, dirt cheap,They came in a package with 3 dvds and 3 blu-rays.🤮 This movie truly was awful except for the special effects. I had to have it as part of my dvd/ Blu-ray collection and over time I have forced myself to watch them.
Revenge of the Sith was awful. All the money, good actors and an incredible first three movies( yes I know they were episodes 4,5 and 6) All those years to come up with a good movie and it was , even much worse than other two prequels, which is an amazing feat. Even without Jar Jar Binks, yes he had one line, which was one to many. It still didn't help this disaster of of a film.
It was as bad or worse than the sequels.
I have all nine of the movies and have no interest in the spin off movies.

Last edited:
I have all nine of the movies and have no interest in the spin off movies.

that's too bad.

sure, 1, 2 and 3 are the weakest and 7, 8 and 9 are weaker than the original trilogy but rogue one is right up there with my favorites. it may even be my favorite.

and solo was enjoyable enough.

have you seen the tv spin offs? i've enjoyed them all particularly andor and the mandalorian.

i find these kinds of things can become self-fulfilling. you go in wanting to dislike them, you're probably going to dislike them...

alasdair

that's too bad.

sure, 1, 2 and 3 are the weakest and 7, 8 and 9 are weaker than the original trilogy but rogue one is right up there with my favorites. it may even be my favorite.

and solo was enjoyable enough.

have you seen the tv spin offs? i've enjoyed them all particularly andor and the mandalorian.

i find these kinds of things can become self-fulfilling. you go in wanting to dislike them, you're probably going to dislike them...

alasdair

Rogue One is my favorite for sure.

And I don't think Revenge of the Sith was that bad either. I like it much better than Last Jedi.

I did see Rogue One, and didn't like it. I wanted to like all that I have seen and bought them, not Rogue One. It just disappointed me. Just like the prequels and now that I think about it the sequels were worse, but Revenge of the Sith was terrible.
The Phantom Menace was watchable( even with Jar Jar Binks) but I wanted it to be great and it wasn't.
The sequels were worse, now that I think about it. However I expected more from the prequels. Revenge of the Sith was terrible.
Ok, I watched them all and agree, the sequels were a disgrace.
I hated the attack of the clones and didn't even want to watch Revenge of the Sith until recently.
I will concede the sequels were much worse. I had to have them and I watched them hoping they would be at least ok. I was wrong.
I did want the Phantom Menace to be good, I saw it in the theater and was disappointed but I had to have the other two and waited a long time before buying them used. I hoped they would be good but after seeing Attack of the Clones, it took a while for me to watch Revenge of the Sith. I wanted it to be good, but was disgusted.
I realize that the sequels were worse; but I hoped maybe they would be decent, I was wrong.

Never have I ever seen a Star Wars movie. I don't even have more than a basic idea what the story is about.

Last edited: