Film & Television

Welcome Guest

⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

Film What's the Last Film You Saw? v. Tell Us What You Thought!

Status
Not open for further replies.
^i dig a lot of the small silly things, like the hacking old men and the computer that could simulate the voice of a person by scanning a photo of them.

also, do you remember the south park with cartman's trapper keeper which would absorb anything it touches? that was a total knockback to roujin z.

anyway, tonight we went epic. the japanese flatmates and i enjoyed laputa castle in the sky on bluray. friggin awesome.

I watched just watched The Battleship Potemkin & then A Fistful of Dollars. Loved a Fistful of Dollars.

The Devil Wears Prada is on telly now, that's less good.

8 1/2

certainly an influence of both Adaptation and Synecdoche, New York. it made it onto my queue when i heard it roughly described as a more successful predecessor to the latter. of the three, Adaptation is the winner in my book.

i was a little bored. so i had trouble paying attention at times. which lead to confusion. resulting in more boredom. i need to re-watch. but not anytime soon. i got the rough idea. and no matter how great of an understanding i developed, i think i would always find it a little boring.

somewhat satisfying on the aesthetic level. scenes where everything is white and light, minus a jet-black article of clothing or accessory on one of the characters.

Last edited:
The Town (2010)

Pretty cool film. On IMDB it said there was an extended version that was truer to the novel and had more character development and action, so I sort of want to see that and see if it adds a lot more to the story. Always like films that take place in Boston, maybe because it's close to me, maybe because of the accents, not entirely sure. It's no Departed, but heist movies are usually pretty exciting and this was no different.

SPOILERS

NSFW:
I thought the way the FBI used the sister (Krysta?) was kind of stupid. Isn't it illegal to talk to people when they're under the influence? Her talking to the FBI perhaps helped her chances of not losing her daughter, but that seems unlikely. She got in a DWI with her daughter in the car and she was already a drug addict as well as part of the crew that the FBI was after. I don't see how her giving out information in that one moment could help her case. Plus, it lead to two of her friends being killed, her brother being killed, Fergie (the florist guy who was the boss) being killed, and her love interest (Ben Affleck) leaving the area permanently. I mean hindsight is 20/20, but she seemed to have really dropped the ball on that one

Also, I found it funny that Ben Affleck kept inadvertantly making Claire (the bank manager) look suspicious to the FBI. Largely because she didn't realize that he was one of the robbers, but then in their last conversation she says in a way that she does want to see him again, despite it meaning he would get arrested. Even though she wanted to help the Feds there, she did have feelings for him. However, the way she said it "Like one of those sunny days" (as she had explained earlier that her brother died on a sunny day, so she always thinks of someone dying when it's sunny out), made the FBI guy suspicious since Ben Affleck never showed up. He says something like, "You know Claire, we are a national agency." Then in the last scene she finds the bag full of cash with the tangerine in it. If she ever did go meet him down in Florida, it would have looked like they were in cahoots the whole time

Last edited:
The Town was quite mediocre in my opinion, it's just a poor imitation of Michael Mann's Heat.

^ With bits of Friends of Eddie Coyle mixed in. I dunno, I still thought it was above average...especially for an Affleck film.

Last movie I watched was Network, which was pretty darn cool. At first I was a little put off by the fact that every single actor got to recite a Super Dramatic diatribe against one thing or another, but it really did add a unique sense of identity to the film, and all of those scenes were acted and directed quite skillfully. All in all, the movie gets a thumbs up from me.

tonight i started watching pirates of the caribbean on stranger tides. turned it off after 20 mins. drank to two episode of police squad instead. infinitely better.

The Town was quite mediocre in my opinion, it's just a poor imitation of Michael Mann's Heat.

i felt exactly the same way

I've yet to see Heat, so I can't compare.

Heat has Val Kilmer in it, which I find to be a turnoff. Nevertheless, I shall check it out.

dunno how he does it, but michael mann does exception gun battles. i think it's the sound. oh and the authenticity. i've read somewhere soldiers watch heat to learn proper reloading techniques.

Natural Born Killers (1994)

Had been wanting to see this for a while now. Maybe because of seeing it on so many controversial/dangerous movie lists and hearing the controversy around it I was expecting more or something different, but I was disappointed after my first viewing. I'll have to watch it again at a later point when my head is in a better spot. I thought it was a little too over-the-top at some points. I felt like more subtlety with the characters and in the violence would have given it a stronger impact. Tommy Lee Jones character (he was the prison warden) for example or maybe if Gale, the TV interviewer, (Robert Downey Jr.) wasn't such an obvious douchebag.

I thought Rodney Dangerfield pulled off his character perfectly. Woody Harrleson was decent, but I thought Juliette Lewis played her role better between the two. Definitely will have to give it another look. It was pretty good, just had too high expectations I suppose.

Edit:

NSFW:
Also, I basically knew the premise and point the movie was trying to make beforehand (how the media sensationalizes violence and serial killers), which I think took away some of the shock and thought that I might have otherwise put into it.

horrible-bosses_180837.jpg

Horrible bosses, thought it was quite funny.
Even if you don't think it's funny you get to see a bit of Jennifer Aniston's boobs, that alone should be worth the watch ;)

So I saw 2movies last night...

1st was Killer Elite. The Statham/DeNiro action movie based on a true story.
Don't expect action movies to have the best drama, but the badassery of the movie kept me excited.
Easy to follow story line + creative action sequences and twists.
Plus, it was fucking awesome to see Jason Statham do a frontflip whilst tied to a chair...

2nd was Moneyball.
Another true story about the GM of the Oakland A's baseball team.
This movie right here is something expected to be nominated or even awarded.
Smart, emotional, and inspiring.
Plenty of twists that kept me interested throughout.

good movies right there...

16-years-of-alcohol-cover.jpg

16 years of alcohol, got a load of these type of films lined up, quite good.

0313670_big.jpg

Sweet sixteen, a Ken Loach directed one.

Last edited:
^'16 Yrs. of Alcohol' was a great Movie!

Straw Dogs
Straw_Dogs-daddrink.gif

Was on Television... must be my Third time watching it...still a great one.

^the remake is on it's way.
I thnk next year is gonna be the year of remakes...
If that's so, I'll abstain from the theater.

rise of the planet of the apes

retarded title, but the film exceeded my expectations. i'd cut it 70/30 as the well made/hokey and needed work ratio. parts were either one or the other.

Cemetery-Junction-Poster.jpg

Cemetery Junction quite cool.

mynameisjoedvd.jpg

My name is Joe , worth a watch.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.