Film & Television

Welcome Guest

⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

Film What's the Last Film You Saw? v. Tell Us What You Thought!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I completely disagree, but I didn't really like Dances with Wolves nor The Last Samurai. I've watched both several times so I'm sure I won't change my mind.

I thought Cruise's best roles were in Eyes Wide Shut and Top Gun. But that's just my opinion man lol
No worries, we all have an opinion. I saw Eyes Wide Shut closer to when it came out but honestly don't remember much about it.

In fact I forgot one other Cruise movie I like, Far and Away.

But IMHO he's played pretty much the same character for 40 years, which is himself. At least in The Last Samurai, it seemed like he got out of his comfort zone with his character acting.

I can't stand Tom Cruise. All the movies he's in that are good are good in spite of him, never because of him

"Eyes Wide Shut" is a masterpiece though! I love that movie, just the general mysterious feeling the film has, its strange meandering plot, the sexual psychodrama between Cruise and Kidman, the film's sense of style and how it ratcheted up the tension...Kubrick was such a great filmmaker!

Actually, thinking back on it, it's probably not Kubrick's masterpiece. That doesn't say anything negative about EWS, though, which I still think is a fantastic movie, more about how great Kubrick was [/Kubrick fanboydom]

No worries, we all have an opinion. I saw Eyes Wide Shut closer to when it came out but honestly don't remember much about it.

In fact I forgot one other Cruise movie I like, Far and Away.

But IMHO he's played pretty much the same character for 40 years, which is himself. At least in The Last Samurai, it seemed like he got out of his comfort zone with his character acting.
Fair point. His acting in The Last Samurai was definitely good, I guess I just don't dig the plot. Same with Kevin Costner in Dances with Wolves; great performance, just not a fan of that type of plot I suppose. The 'white man going native' narrative is a good one but makes me cringe these days... perhaps more of a testament to the times we live in.

Actually, thinking back on it, it's probably not Kubrick's masterpiece. That doesn't say anything negative about EWS, though, which I still think is a fantastic movie, more about how great Kubrick was [/Kubrick fanboydom]
I think his true masterpiece (and the best film of all time) was A Clockwork Orange, but EWS is pretty damn good, especially as an examination of marriage, monogamy, and fidelity. Not one of his films belongs below a top 100 films place IMO, most belong in the top 25.

I think what made Cruise good in EWS was Kubrick's intentional act of driving a wedge into his and Kidman's marriage; that's the whole point of the film really, and by taking a married power couple and actively causing them distress... you get film gold, albeit at their expense. But Cruise is a Scientologist, fuck him lol

Last edited:
Watched all the Insidious films the past two days. Actually quite good - seen them before but with the lights out and feet up the jump scares can really get you.

I can't stand Tom Cruise. All the movies he's in that are good are good in spite of him, never because of him

"Eyes Wide Shut" is a masterpiece though! I love that movie, just the general mysterious feeling the film has, its strange meandering plot, the sexual psychodrama between Cruise and Kidman, the film's sense of style and how it ratcheted up the tension...Kubrick was such a great filmmaker!

Fair point. His acting in The Last Samurai was definitely good, I guess I just don't dig the plot. Same with Kevin Costner in Dances with Wolves; great performance, just not a fan of that type of plot I suppose. The 'white man going native' narrative is a good one but makes me cringe these days... perhaps more of a testament to the times we live in.

I think his true masterpiece (and the best film of all time) was A Clockwork Orange, but EWS is pretty damn good, especially as an examination of marriage, monogamy, and fidelity. Not one of his films belongs below a top 100 films place IMO, most belong in the top 25.

I think what made Cruise good in EWS was Kubrick's intentional act of driving a wedge into his and Kidman's marriage; that's the whole point of the film really, and by taking a married power couple and actively causing them distress... you get film gold, albeit at their expense. But Cruise is a Scientologist, fuck him lol
A Clockwork Orange was definitely out there. Any love for 2001: A Space Odyssey?

A Clockwork Orange was definitely out there. Any love for 2001: A Space Odyssey?

I'll just re quote an old post of mine on the subject (from March 2020...good times lol):

I like Stanley Kubrick's films too. "The Shining" is one of my favorite films, and perhaps my favorite film within the Horror/Thriller genre..."Dr. Strangelove" was another one I remember liking quite a bit, although I saw it a while back in a political science class and don't remember much of it. "Full Metal Jacket" is fantastic blend of dark comedy and drama, set against the backdrop of the Vietnam War (with an interesting depiction of urban warfare, rather than the more traditional rendering of the war as a conflict set in the jungle). "Eyes Wide Shut" was another good one, I remember catching that one on TV late one night after getting stoned and enjoyed the film's weird psychosexual themes and the way the movie's structure allowed the viewer to draw some of their own conclusions about what was happening in the plot.

Didn't much care for "A Clockwork Orange", either the book by Anthony Burgess or Kubrick's film.

"2001" I saw waaaaaay back, when I was still in elementary school, and remember almost nothing from the film except the part with the monkeys and the monolith. I've been fascinated by prehistory ever since reading National Geographic's "Dawn of Humans" series and a couple anthropological books on the topic, and that's probably one of the most famous cinematic depictions of prehistory.

In one of the Dawn of Humans issues an archaeologist was discussing a potential ceremonial altar he had unearthed at a site in Germany that dated back to almost half a million years old (associated with the archaic human species H. erectus), and as I was reading about it I just imagined the monolith in the background as some ancient European cavepeople fashioned bone or rocks or whatever they were doing back then, LOL. That scene had a big effect on me!

I need to see 2001 again, I watched it when I was quite young and only have hazy memories of it.

Scum with ray Winstone saw it a couple of days ago it is on youtube free it is about the British borstals like juvenile halls in states great gritty film . I have seen it so many times but i never get bored of it

The House on the Edge of the Park (1980) - 4 stars - not sure why I waited so long to watch this one! I love Italian horror, plus this is directed by the guy who did Cannibal Holocaust (1980) and the main villain is played by the guy who plays the main villain in The Last House on the Left (1972). I liked it.

Choose or Die (2022) - 4 stars - Netflix horror that I actually heard about on a YouTube list of "really bad" recent horror movies. I really liked the premise, though and thought I'd give it a go. Glad I did; this was really fun! A coder comes across this old 80s style game (where you often get like two options and have to type in your choice) where the consequences are very much real. It's much better/more fun that that, but yeah.

ReGOREgitated Sacrifice (2008) - 1.5 stars - Oh, Lucifer Valentine...why? Just, why? This follows the story (or, lack of) of a runaway bulimic prostitute suffering from horrific hallucinations that began with the first film, Slaughtered Vomit Dolls . A lot of bizarre scenes of (fake) gory sexual torture and A LOT of (very, very real) vomiting. So much real purging, If I had to say something positive...it, uh..a more well made film than SVD. Oh, if the previous movie wasn't gross enough for you, this one has (real) peeing in it...*shrugs*. Will I subject myself the to third - and apparently most extreme - movie in the "Vomit Gore" trilogy, Slow Torture Puke Chamber (2010)? Yes, but only for the sake of completion as I have now seen over 90% of the movies listed on that "Disturbing Movies Iceberg" that came out last year.

Last edited:
Scum with ray Winstone saw it a couple of days ago it is on youtube free it is about the British borstals like juvenile halls in states great gritty film . I have seen it so many times but i never get bored of it

Is the version on YouTube the uncut version? I've seen the movie but it was many, many years ago and I don't remember much. For a long time, only edited versions with some of the violence and sexual violence censored were available. I've seen a few movies on YouTube where the uploader claims an uncut version, but it isn't (not saying what you saw wasn't just asking).

Is the version on YouTube the uncut version? I've seen the movie but it was many, many years ago and I don't remember much. For a long time, only edited versions with some of the violence and sexual violence censored were available. I've seen a few movies on YouTube where the uploader claims an uncut version, but it isn't (not saying what you saw wasn't just asking).
I was thinking i not hear Winstone tell the other kid you my wife in here but you see that poor lad getting gang raped in the greenhouse so maybe i smoke to much brown and missed wife bit they got the racist words the violence it also clear hd a bit so been remastered

Its is unedited and also not remastered great film bruv if you do not remember much about it give it a go

I was thinking i not hear Winstone tell the other kid you my wife in here but you see that poor lad getting gang raped in the greenhouse so maybe i smoke to much brown and missed wife bit they got the racist words the violence it also clear hd a bit so been remastered

Yeah sounds like the unedited version. Think I will watch it again since I don't remember much :(

the best mate they did not only look at bottom line which i know important but also for great storylines

Definitely!
I love a lot of 70s movies period, but horror has always been my favourite genre and sooooo many damn classics came out in the 70s. Always loved Italian movies, too. Been really into giallo since around last October (seen about 80 already lol) and while the very first ones came out in the 60s and they continued in popularity past the 70s, the "golden age" was definitely 71-72.

Predator 2

I’ve always loved the second with Danny Glover - maybe it’s cause he’s in it but more about the ‘concert jungle’ The Predator is it.

Status
Not open for further replies.