Film & Television

Welcome Guest

⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

Film What's the Last Film You Saw? v. Tell Us What You Thought!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Predestination

Absolutely fucking idiotic... and weirdly predictable, considering the attempted mind-fuck twist ending/s.
Like something Donald Kaufman, from Adaptation, might have written.

0/5

Tusk

Loved it.

4/5

Last edited:
"The Book Thief" on TV yesterday on my watch.
Great new Canadian artist performing an interesting role in new German manner to ease the II World War.
4/5 for her. 3/5 for the movie.

St. Vincent with Bill Murray.

I thought it was great, I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Storyline

Vincent is an old Vietnam vet whose stubbornly hedonistic ways have left him without money or a future. Things change when his new next-door neighbor's son, Oliver, needs a babysitter and Vince is willing enough for a fee. From that self-serving act, an unexpected friendship forms as Vincent and Oliver find so much of each other's needs through each other. As Vincent mentors Oliver in street survival and other worldly ways, Oliver begins to see more in the old man than just his foibles. When life takes a turn for the worse for Vincent, both them find the best in each other than no one around them suspects.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2170593/?ref_=nv_sr_1

Sleepers. Great movie though hard to watch at times I found the ending to be both satisfying and realistic. Not sure I will ever be able to look at Kevin Bacon the same however, as he plays a very convincing and creepy pedophile.

The Perfect Host on Netflix. Was pretty good. It stars the guy that played Niles on 'Frasier.' Shit turned a lot crazier than I thought it would when I first started watching the movie.

The Perfect Host on Netflix. Was pretty good. It stars the guy that played Niles on 'Frasier.' Shit turned a lot crazier than I thought it would when I first started watching the movie.

I really enjoyed this one it did not get great reviews but I have actually watched it two times now in the last year and consider it a worthy watch.

^Just saw Birdman tonight and thought it was great. It's going to be one of those that I'm going to have to see a few more times, I think. The drum motifs throughout were a brilliant addition to the controlled chaos going on. I wish I had a drummer following me around playing jazz beats all day.

Saw this the other night, redeveloped a serious broner for Keaton, what a stud

Really enjoy watching the miniseries "The Corner" everytime I convince myself shooting dope wont be so bad. It was made shortly before the Wire and I love it, Baltimore seems like a lovely place to lose your soul in the spring

For me, and the entirely sober person watching with me who was freaking out because she recognized a past relationship in it, "Boyhood" lived up to the hype. I've heard concerns expressed about it that allude to the fact that the "artistically interpreted documentary" approach to story development taken by Linklater is the sort of novel filming technique that gets Academy members intellectually wet regardless of how enjoyable the movie is. But it's not nearly so sterile as such an approach might be feared to produce. To those who have sampled his past work it's clearly Linklater's labor of love.

Also, I really enjoyed the camera work, comedic style, and dramatic "soliloquies" of "Birdman," though I can't see it winning Best Picture as easily as "Boyhood."

Cake

The film retreads some familiar territory, that is bordering on cliche. Particularly, the relationship between the two main characters: the saint-like Spanish-American maid, who pities her employer; and the dysfunctional wealthy suburbanite whose life is put on hold by serious trauma... But it has a personality of it's own... Some of the comedy falls flat, though, and Aniston (who does her earnest best, despite her the limitations of her ego) is incapable of carrying a vehicle that requires serious acting chops. She's really trying to be recognized as a serious actor. But, it's too apparent that she's trying... and, to put her achievements - or lack, thereof - in context, all she has to do to achieve a career best is elevate herself above the sit-com standard... From her perspective, it seems like playing a character with facial scarring is akin to great acting worthy of international acclaim... But there aren't a lot of subtleties to her performance, and the role demands a carefully crafted multidimensional performance...

By attempting to prove to the world that she can act, Aniston has highlighted the limitations of her abilities...
(Prior to seeing this film, I believed that she was - potentially - capable of more. Now I know that she isn't.)

Cake, with the right casting, could have been much better.

Sam Worthington shouldn't have been in it, either.
But, then, he's inconsistent in everything he's ever been in.

2.5/5

American Sniper

Watched about 10 or 15 minutes of it, then turned it off.
Not my sort of film... at all.

?/5

Last edited:
Hector and the Search for Happiness

I liked it, a little corny but Simon Pegg is hard not to like. The idea of searching for happiness is a good one, the fact he does it while travelling and overcoming his own fears/hangups in the process was neat. Some of the filming and visuals reminded me of Wes Anderson a bit.

3.5/5

yesterday i watched radio free albemuth. i love pk dick's writing, so i enjoyed it for that, however the low budget and b-cast were both quite distracting.

Birdman

I didn't love this movie.

3.5/5

...really?
yeah bro. the dialogue was poetic to me. i was really taken aback by the dramatic turns each conversation and the monologues took. it really thrilled and overwhelmed me, tbh.

Fair enough.

I wouldn't say I thought it was badly written, but it was certainly inconsistent. There were some good monologues, here and there, and some terrible dialogue... The film, overall, had a lot of cliched moments. The low point, for me, was when he went outside and the door closed on his robe... As soon as he stepped out onto the street, I had to stop myself from groaning out-loud, because I knew what was about to happen... Sure, I got a little chuckle out of watching an aged half-naked Michael Keaton navigate his way through a crowd of pedestrians, but it didn't come across - to me - as high art... I though the end was a bit sophomoric and the film, overall, to be a bit pretentious.

It reminded me of Black Swan.

black swan is a good comparison in terms of film tone, and i agree about that scene. i was very underwhelmed by it when it was so widely publicised.

Status
Not open for further replies.