• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc What's good with Kava Kava?

I've tried it in capsule form and noticed some effects. I posted on the kava subreddit but it got taken down because apparently this is not real kava which was kinda... odd. I mean it is, it's just not as potent as the liquid forms or whatever people take. I was interested in buying some extract or something online to see what feeling it could really give. I've noticed subtle calming but that's about it. I used to have Gaia Herbs caps with 75% kavalctones but the stuff I have now is only 30%, with 100mg ginseng each capsule. Not sure what the ginseng is supposed to achieve exactly. The Gaia Herbs one was like liquid Kava in capsules though so I think that was closer to the real thing than the root I'm taking. It certainly tasted pretty bad. A lot of people talk fondly of kava and yet a lot of people say it's very subtle and you have to not really look for a feeling to actually feel it. others describe getting "krunk" and I've heard all this talk of reverse tolerance but I think that's a myth honestly.

It's not odd, they are right it's not real kava in the sense that the effects of most extracts are nothing like the feeling of real kava prepared in the traditional manner. If you want to actually feel the high or "krunk" kava can provide, you need to try a potent kava prepared in the traditional manner (or using the blender method which I've heard is even more potent). Reverse tolerance is a thing but now it is being called "initial resistance" which is more accurate.

The effects of kava can be strong too. If you drink a whole bunch of potent kava at once you can even get a kava rush, which is intense and very pleasurable. I used to enjoy a kava rush as much if not more than the rush from heroin IVed. The difference is, kava is very hit or miss. With IV heroin, the rush is almost always very pleasurable whereas with kava sometimes it hits you right and you get incredible euphoria, other times you can take the same dose in the same situation and barely feel anything.

Indica herb, and Psilocybin mushrooms.

It made the shrooms last a lot longer than they are supposed to, or maybe Psilocybin just does this to me? I only took shrooms twice and I stopped using all drugs decades ago, do not know any dealers, etc.

I love Kava, but it’s expensive. $40 for a Lb on average, and at 3 tblsp’s a serving, 2 per night. Gone in a week, easy. Kg’s are essentially just double, no quantity discount. Sadly, Amazon is about as cheap as the company’s themselves. If someone has found a cheaper route, I’m all ears.
Can you get an extract? I had kava extract that someone put into sweets and it did work. I stopped using kava when I learned it can cause liver damage and organ failure when used too much and too often.

The capsules I have do produce an effect but it seems like it gives me a headache. Not sure, I took 2 awhile ago and got a really bad headache. Maybe coincidence but I think this has happened a few times already. I did underhydrate today though.

As far as liver toxicity goes that's not too surprising to me. However, supplements like L-theanine and Nigella Sativa (black seed oil) are very good for protecting the liver. L-theanine in particular is known to reduce hangovers the next day when you take it at night really drunk. I got so fucked up at a party once and did this and was fine the next day, though I quit drinking not long after that. My hangover might not have been bad but I get the taste of alcohol stuck in my mouth for the entire day which I hate. It really messes with my sinuses too, histamine intolerance I believe.

I have noticed a little more euphoria with THC with the capsules but again the capsule effect is so subtle it barely really does anything. Something, certainly, but not a full experience. I guess I'll look into an extract or something at some point. I'm sure vendors aren't allowed to be discussed here, but the subreddit has a lot of vendors they recommend so I could check that out I suppose.
Ginseng gives some people headaches. Also, ginseng is stimulating, so I don’t know why the hell they’d put it in with Kava, which is relaxing.

Well looks like I have to quit the kava for awhile. I'm developing early stage dermopathy. It doesn't look like it, but I've had rashes break out. Last night was the first one I had AFTER drinking it. Medium grind for whatever reason has caused this it would seem. Extract seemed fine while I used it. Micronized is known to cause skin issues and it didn't. Maybe I'll go back to micronized, strained. You get to use far less anyway, but it sucks. Kava was going to be my replacement for Diazepam, it's helped my chronic tinnitus so much, and now I have to back off. I've taken like, 8 different strains at this point. Gradually was becoming itchy by the middle of February but I'd only notice in the mornings after I took kratom. The fact that I use kratom at all could be combining but I've never really had itch or dry skin from kratom. When I was new, I'd get a bit itchy, but it's been years even with higher doses since it's made me itchy.

So I'm gonna take a break for a bit until I no longer feel itchy. Kratom is a good gauge for now because it brings out the itchiness. It started lower belly, then it hit my neck/upper chest/shoulder region hard last night after I took 40g. I'm generally using less kratom, too.

Man, why do all the natural substances have to cause problems? THC is the magnum opus for anxiety and it spikes my tinnitus hard. Kava works like Diazepam and helps with anxiety even better, although THC beats both. Still, a good kava will have a similar euphoria and together, they're mindblowingly good. It makes THC feel more psychedelic in a way. I just wanna get the hell off Diazepam already, it's been over a year on it going gradually from 5, 7.5, 10, and now since like, last June 15mg a night. It's not a huge amount but still. I had my ticket and it's full of allergens. Well, I don't know if it's allergies, i would've had hives much sooner and i never really had hives, just some redness. Sometimes there's nothing there at all, it just itches. But I do see scaly skin on the sides of my legs. I'm taking claratin during the day now, 2 benadryl at night, sometimes even a bit of doxylamine succinate in cough meds. This actually seems to help more, I have a tolerance to benadryl for taking it for my tinnitus every night since like, October.

I've talked to some others about it and they say the stems are likely to cause dermopathy and shit. So why would micronized be more likely to cause issues if there is no root? Either way, guess I gotta wait till I stop feeling itchy on kratom to know if it's improving, then I'll try micronized, strained this time because that shit is constipating as fuck otherwise. The damn vendors say you don't need to strain it, hugest lie ever. "Just add to your favorite drink!" yeah... and it's 10x more clumpy than kratom lol.

As for the liver shit, that's mostly myth. People have used this all their life and develop major dermopathy, but their livers are fine. If it's badly strained, like if you took medium grind raw, you're in trouble. Obviously you wouldn't want to be drinking alcohol on it often or using Tylenol a lot.

Well, I thought the extract might be better since it's not plant matter but... no, my skin is on fire. My tinnitus flared up beyond belief today and it's clear not using kava is why. Fucking blows, I finally find something that can reduce my tinnitus significantly and was also planned to be my replacement for Diazepam. It's way better in every way. Most people don't get skin issues until later it seems, or they use a lot of moisturizers. I've no clue how much I took though, it might've been way too much, I forgot what my scale said. Regardless, fuck. My right ear today was howling the worst it has since the last time I stopped using any kava product.