• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc What's good with Kava Kava?

BourbonMac

Bluelighter
I've tried it in capsule form and noticed some effects. I posted on the kava subreddit but it got taken down because apparently this is not real kava which was kinda... odd. I mean it is, it's just not as potent as the liquid forms or whatever people take. I was interested in buying some extract or something online to see what feeling it could really give. I've noticed subtle calming but that's about it. I used to have Gaia Herbs caps with 75% kavalctones but the stuff I have now is only 30%, with 100mg ginseng each capsule. Not sure what the ginseng is supposed to achieve exactly. The Gaia Herbs one was like liquid Kava in capsules though so I think that was closer to the real thing than the root I'm taking. It certainly tasted pretty bad. A lot of people talk fondly of kava and yet a lot of people say it's very subtle and you have to not really look for a feeling to actually feel it. others describe getting "krunk" and I've heard all this talk of reverse tolerance but I think that's a myth honestly.

Kava does take a while to notice. It's a nice pleasant buzz if you get potent stuff, but it's expensive. My local CBD store has decent Kava drinks. One is relaxing, two is a nice buzz.
They are 10$ each!!
To answer your title? Kava is supposed to be nice taken ahead of Kratom but I've not tried that personally yet.

Last edited:
Definitely following this I have yet to try kava but I am in desperation to find natural healthier ways to calm or alter my mind and feelings besides getting stuck on opioids or benzo. In my opinion this is a great thread I hope we can be pointed in the right direction.

I agree, it would be nice to know about a benzo alternative for those of us who suffer from anxiety

However, I’ve heard kava is hard on the liver, true?

I agree, it would be nice to know about a benzo alternative for those of us who suffer from anxiety

However, I’ve heard kava is hard on the liver, true?
Supposedly, it's Tudei Kava which can cause liver issues.

But, I don't think there are actual studies as to that.

Actual studies do show it occuring as rare, though.

I can tell you from personal experience that if you chase a strong high from Kava it can make you sick. I did that once with an extract and actually had Parkinsons symptoms for a few hours. I was terrified. However, one experience does not a study or even a theory make.

It's definitely a pleasant high, though.

Last edited:
I can tell you from personal experience that if you chase a strong high from Kava it can make you sick. I did that once with an extract and actually had Parkinsons symptoms for a few hours. I was terrified. However, one experience does not a study or even a theory make.
this is astonishing! I had no idea kava was so potent 😦

If you find the right products, Kava can be strong. There’s a tincture I used to buy where 20-40 drops was the suggested dose which produced a fairly decent GABA experience at that dosage. I once took 160 drops and experienced something akin to a trippy alcohol/cannabis like state. The time dilation was insane, I remember thinking hours had gone by but it was only 15min, each minute felt like an eternity.

-GC

What do you have to say about this @AutoTripper ? I believe you are the resident expert on this matter.

Hope all is well with you.
Haha I saw Kava, @ nurse so I will check the query now.

Thanks too. Been the craziest. Magically fully healed at last holistically most vicious internal haemorrhoids then worser fissure, result of a 31/10/21 back break plus.

It's real irony. 3-6 months ago, I'd have been dandy now.

The old song China in your Hand.
So it's recovering, from recovering. Now. 😀

I've tried it in capsule form and noticed some effects. I posted on the kava subreddit but it got taken down because apparently this is not real kava which was kinda... odd. I mean it is, it's just not as potent as the liquid forms or whatever people take. I was interested in buying some extract or something online to see what feeling it could really give. I've noticed subtle calming but that's about it. I used to have Gaia Herbs caps with 75% kavalctones but the stuff I have now is only 30%, with 100mg ginseng each capsule. Not sure what the ginseng is supposed to achieve exactly. The Gaia Herbs one was like liquid Kava in capsules though so I think that was closer to the real thing than the root I'm taking. It certainly tasted pretty bad. A lot of people talk fondly of kava and yet a lot of people say it's very subtle and you have to not really look for a feeling to actually feel it. others describe getting "krunk" and I've heard all this talk of reverse tolerance but I think that's a myth honestly.
Kava yes has a subtle nature. But in my own usage experience it's equally effective as cannabis and benzos.

No capsules though ever. Dudd Walmart & Amazon economy.

Most extracts advertised lie, only 3% despite claims.

Except thekavadepot sold as 30% confirmed at 32, but importantly clean too.

Proper preparation of quality Kava is key.

And reverse tolerance occurs. Many but not even majority, can persist daily upon encouragement feeling nothing, 1-2 weeks even bam, they love it and attest to the RT factor.

Instant Kava over dudd capsules and con or toxic extracts any day.

Or quality noble property prepped, use sunflower lecithin, various methods.

Make some thick brew. Combine with good weed, if that's your thing (I think it is a bit?), and it's very effective to me and great synergy as it nullifies THC anxiety without diminishing effects, and the weed brightens and compliments Kava subtlety.

So it's a unison for myself. My system is forever saturated with both kavalactones and cannabinoids.

Reverse T with Kava though, never got myself, but is real does effect some as I say above.

Some people literally need to boringly persist, not too long 5-10 days maybe give or take (lol that's quite a range).

These things are not set though.

The capsules I have do produce an effect but it seems like it gives me a headache. Not sure, I took 2 awhile ago and got a really bad headache. Maybe coincidence but I think this has happened a few times already. I did underhydrate today though.

As far as liver toxicity goes that's not too surprising to me. However, supplements like L-theanine and Nigella Sativa (black seed oil) are very good for protecting the liver. L-theanine in particular is known to reduce hangovers the next day when you take it at night really drunk. I got so fucked up at a party once and did this and was fine the next day, though I quit drinking not long after that. My hangover might not have been bad but I get the taste of alcohol stuck in my mouth for the entire day which I hate. It really messes with my sinuses too, histamine intolerance I believe.

I have noticed a little more euphoria with THC with the capsules but again the capsule effect is so subtle it barely really does anything. Something, certainly, but not a full experience. I guess I'll look into an extract or something at some point. I'm sure vendors aren't allowed to be discussed here, but the subreddit has a lot of vendors they recommend so I could check that out I suppose.

The capsules I have do produce an effect but it seems like it gives me a headache. Not sure, I took 2 awhile ago and got a really bad headache. Maybe coincidence but I think this has happened a few times already. I did underhydrate today though.

As far as liver toxicity goes that's not too surprising to me. However, supplements like L-theanine and Nigella Sativa (black seed oil) are very good for protecting the liver. L-theanine in particular is known to reduce hangovers the next day when you take it at night really drunk. I got so fucked up at a party once and did this and was fine the next day, though I quit drinking not long after that. My hangover might not have been bad but I get the taste of alcohol stuck in my mouth for the entire day which I hate. It really messes with my sinuses too, histamine intolerance I believe.

I have noticed a little more euphoria with THC with the capsules but again the capsule effect is so subtle it barely really does anything. Something, certainly, but not a full experience. I guess I'll look into an extract or something at some point. I'm sure vendors aren't allowed to be discussed here, but the subreddit has a lot of vendors they recommend so I could check that out I suppose.
So right there have highlighted one sure myth never openly transparently dispelled.

Kava's proclaimed liver toxicity. It's more equivocation, and lie than pure lie and misinfo only.

It's a case of understanding and context. They have maintainer the wrong impression and view so long.

Kava is not at all inherently toxic itself or for the liver. It requires I think two key liver enzymes to metabolise it, but it's not a case of toxicity.

It's just process. Unlike alcohol which is for all merits a toxic burden still effectively.

This rule doesn't apply to Kava though. It's notoriously only when kava is notvadequately separated and spaced from alcohol by I always advise 24 hrs or more each way one or the other but never concurrent.

It's the alcohol which is liver toxic. Kava utilises those enzymes which also clear up after alcohol filtering toxins. As a result the liver is defefenseless against alcohol's toxicity. Kava + alcohol is a lot more contraindicated on paper, theory and practise than a year of daily MDMA use, which can actually be survived and that's an understatement too.

It's for the pure foolhardy that combo. Simply avoid. V fast way to irreversible sickness and liver harm.

I can't say there are no exceptions, like individuals with an already compromised liver unable to process Kava alcohol past/alongside or not.

But I cannot recall knowing/hearing of it yet.

It's the + alcohol factor.

With alcohol being so massively prevalentnt and widespread in Society there is a danger of people not being informed about this contraindication or simply not being disciplined and respecting it

So many people never really abstain from alcohol or wish or intend to for long enough to even try kava.

It's one or the other I have a long term alcoholic friend who i know for sure could be helped but he is never able or motivated enough to to take even 24 hour break from alcohol so it just never happened because I would never encourage or sanction such an act and have always been very transparent and insistent about that too.

I'm lost with words today, can articulate shit.

where was I? 🙃 There is no actual need for toxicity concerns, for regular folk at least with Kava unless concurrent with alcohol.

No toxic buildup, burden, detox process nor even interference with general detox.

However, if there is any actual toxicity in Kava, it will be in Extracts and capsules only.

Or what's known as "tudei" kava. For every two days. This is produced differently. Less filtered. Far heavier, more hypnotic. But inherently toxic hence sparse usage recommendations.

So this is worth knowing. And I am sure fed into the myth.

Noble kava is produced diffently. Not toxic at all. Tudei is rare and no-one who is anyone in kava business offers it without full informing. Nor attempts to sell tudei disguised as noble.

Also, it was an equivocational scam from the off.

6 key identified kavalactones comprise kava.

A sham scientific study testing for liver toxicity used insanely large quantities of different kavalactones which are not known to or appear only minisculy in kava, to produce liver harm likely in rats if I recall (?)

Zero application to real world kava drinking. It's not like alcohol i mean it isn't the case that drinking kava leeds to headache but as you said you were not fully hydrated and it is important to hydrate alongside drinking kava so that would potentially cause a headache as a result of dehydration.

But that scientific study was completely flawed and has never been sufficiently openly overturned since.

It is precisely because of that incorrect flawed outdated science that this myth continues to be perpetuated never dispelled enough.

Kava isn't mild though as you report. I honestly feel you may be under dosing on a vastly inferior product which also could have some toxicity to it.

Honestly my experienced advice, is to forget extracts except thekavadepot one if wish.

Their noble is top too.

Get a good instant kava maybe. GHK sell best instants. Thekavaroots bulakavahouse

Artofkava have sublime strong v palatable organic noble Fijian kavas. Kadavu! Honest, prep 50 grams correctly noble kadavu, in a litre abouts or over. Neck that over hr or 2, with weed.

THEN lol tellus kava is subtle! Only if you still need to overcome reverse tolerance would you not feel a whole world more of effects from its which feel very similar to benzodiazepenes without actual addiction or withdrawal.

Kavatime too. So many in US, are you in UK? I can help there too but because of our government"s twisted maniacs it remains a illegal for human consumption in united kingdom due to those misinformation studies, so and majority of international and american retailers simply refuse to ship here but it is still fateh novel imported under the guise of being a pet supplement.

US residents though, so jel I am too, the Kava world is their oyster.

Re vendors. I dunno on this.

This place IS a HR one right! Right?

This is not IMO "sourcing", which applies by definition to illegals.

We can talk about coca cola in Walmart lol, McDonald's Big as etc etc.

I see no difference. This I clean legal within rule important HR to me.

If you are in UK, I have a wicken friendly non profiteering man imports high Q kavas in sells v fairly, trusty as he'll instant service, he set up the pretence pet supplement industry.

I can give his email if want. V easy deal with true man.

This thread, gives another conciser overview too, just post two. Covers some prep methods.

I know mate, if do how suggest, prop prep high KL noble with sunflower lecithin, blender or kneading- traditional prep, you will get something totally different.

Like you I've voyaged before. Maxed on the strongest psyoactives.

On occasion, kava has wasted me as much or more as anything too.

Just wanna help you save time wasted further disappointment and get what you maybe haven't seen is there for you.

I had an edible cannabis dose 1 hour ago while I prepared myself 65 grams of noble kadavu root. Taken two glasses from 1 litre. I feel it! I will get a decent follow up 2nd wash too.

You need a decent strainer bag from any vendor selling a good quality one this is important what I do before I begin the kneading process or after I have used to blender method and tipped the Carver into the straining bag from the blender in both cases I tie the strainer bag up. You can then either need it again in less water or alternatively seal in a Kilner jar with warm water and just shake it all about for a minute or two to extract the rest and you have a reasonable amount of psychoactivity there as ample top up too.

If you want help with UK acquisition shout me mate have a think.

I know this stuff too I swear, like what is worth trying.

I vaporize organic sun herb too. Will do next. Keep spreading this strong kadavu I am def gonna feel krunj, already do on 1st 17 % about.

Good luck and take care man. Ask anything too, can help UKers like say easily.

Last edited:

I forgot.

Milk Thistle, that's your hangover remedy I swear too. Not discounting those you suggest.

So right there have highlighted one sure myth never openly transparently dispelled.

Kava's proclaimed liver toxicity. It's more equivocation, and lie than pure lie and misinfo only.

It's a case of understanding and context. They have maintainer the wrong impression and view so long.

Kava is not at all inherently toxic itself or for the liver. It requires I think two key liver enzymes to metabolise it, but it's not a case of toxicity.

It's just process. Unlike alcohol which is for all merits a toxic burden still effectively.

This rule doesn't apply to Kava though. It's notoriously only when kava is notvadequately separated and spaced from alcohol by I always advise 24 hrs or more each way one or the other but never concurrent.

It's the alcohol which is liver toxic. Kava utilises those enzymes which also clear up after alcohol filtering toxins. As a result the liver is defefenseless against alcohol's toxicity. Kava + alcohol is a lot more contraindicated on paper, theory and practise than a year of daily MDMA use, which can actually be survived and that's an understatement too.

It's for the pure foolhardy that combo. Simply avoid. V fast way to irreversible sickness and liver harm.

I can't say there are no exceptions, like individuals with an already compromised liver unable to process Kava alcohol past/alongside or not.

With alcohol being so massively prevalentnt and widespread in Society there is a danger of people not being informed about this contraindication or simply not being disciplined and respecting it

So many people never really abstain from alcohol or wish or intend to for long enough to even try kava.

It's one or the other I have a long term alcoholic friend who i know for sure could be helped but he is never able or motivated enough to to take even 24 hour break from alcohol so it just never happened because I would never encourage or sanction such an act and have always been very transparent and insistent about that too.

where was I? 🙃 There is no actual need for toxicity concerns, for regular folk at least with Kava unless concurrent with alcohol.

No toxic buildup, burden, detox process nor even interference with general detox.

However, if there is any actual toxicity in Kava, it will be in Extracts and capsules only.

Or what's known as "tudei" kava. For every two days. This is produced differently. Less filtered. Far heavier, more hypnotic. But inherently toxic hence sparse usage recommendations.

Noble kava is produced diffently. Not toxic at all. Tudei is rare and no-one who is anyone in kava business offers it without full informing. Nor attempts to sell tudei disguised as noble.

A sham scientific study testing for liver toxicity used insanely large quantities of different kavalactones which are not known to or appear only minisculy in kava, to produce liver harm likely in rats if I recall (?)

Zero application to real world kava drinking. It's not like alcohol i mean it isn't the case that drinking kava leeds to headache but as you said you were not fully hydrated and it is important to hydrate alongside drinking kava so that would potentially cause a headache as a result of dehydration.

But that scientific study was completely flawed and has never been sufficiently openly overturned since.

It is precisely because of that incorrect flawed outdated science that this myth continues to be perpetuated never dispelled enough.

Kava isn't mild though as you report. I honestly feel you may be under dosing on a vastly inferior product which also could have some toxicity to it.

Honestly my experienced advice, is to forget extracts except thekavadepot one if wish.

Their noble is top too.

Get a good instant kava maybe. GHK sell best instants. Thekavaroots bulakavahouse

Artofkava have sublime strong v palatable organic noble Fijian kavas. Kadavu! Honest, prep 50 grams correctly noble kadavu, in a litre abouts or over. Neck that over hr or 2, with weed.

THEN lol tellus kava is subtle! Only if you still need to overcome reverse tolerance would you not feel a whole world more of effects from its which feel very similar to benzodiazepenes without actual addiction or withdrawal.

Kavatime too. So many in US, are you in UK? I can help there too but because of our government"s twisted maniacs it remains a illegal for human consumption in united kingdom due to those misinformation studies, so and majority of international and american retailers simply refuse to ship here but it is still fateh novel imported under the guise of being a pet supplement.

If you are in UK, I have a wicken friendly non profiteering man imports high Q kavas in sells v fairly, trusty as he'll instant service, he set up the pretence pet supplement industry.

This thread, gives another conciser overview too, just post two. Covers some prep methods.

I know mate, if do how suggest, prop prep high KL noble with sunflower lecithin, blender or kneading- traditional prep, you will get something totally different.

Just wanna help you save time wasted further disappointment and get what you maybe haven't seen is there for you.

I had an edible cannabis dose 1 hour ago while I prepared myself 65 grams of noble kadavu root. Taken two glasses from 1 litre. I feel it! I will get a decent follow up 2nd wash too.

You need a decent strainer bag from any vendor selling a good quality one this is important what I do before I begin the kneading process or after I have used to blender method and tipped the Carver into the straining bag from the blender in both cases I tie the strainer bag up. You can then either need it again in less water or alternatively seal in a Kilner jar with warm water and just shake it all about for a minute or two to extract the rest and you have a reasonable amount of psychoactivity there as ample top up too.

I vaporize organic sun herb too. Will do next. Keep spreading this strong kadavu I am def gonna feel krunj, already do on 1st 17 % about.

You know your stuff, man. I'm reading with interest. Can you answer some questions?

Isn't Tudei Kava a strain(s)?

Do you think that reverse tolerance could be overcome by doing a smaller amount a number of times? (It's expensive)

What is your opinion of "toss and wash"? I have some powdered Kava which I occasionally use at about a heaping tablespoon tossed and washed. At that amount it isn't super strong, but I definitely feel it. It's a nice addition to flower. (as you say)

The time I overdid extract, I did think of the possibility that it was a bad extract. However, there's also another factor in addition to that.
I was trying to replace marijuana with it while kicking a pretty strong pot habit. By which I mean replace, I had no marijuana. So, I was overdoing it quite a bit I'm sure.

Their noble is top too.

I'm in the states. I've heard a lot over at the kava subreddit that even properly produced kava often has a very subtle effect and one has to basically meditate to search for it. Others say it gets them a nice buzz that doesn't last for very long. It's like everything I hear about this stuff changes constantly from person to person. Do you believe in the reverse tolerance thing? I don't.

I'm in the states. I've heard a lot over at the kava subreddit that even properly produced kava often has a very subtle effect and one has to basically meditate to search for it. Others say it gets them a nice buzz that doesn't last for very long. It's like everything I hear about this stuff changes constantly from person to person. Do you believe in the reverse tolerance thing? I don't.
Kava is real. When I say a nice, mild, pleasant buzz, I don't mean it's something you have to look for to feel.
You can probably get a strong high from it and I don't have enough experience, I dunno. But IME giving it to others as well as doing it myself everyone thought it was a relaxing, noticeable thing which they enjoyed. Prolly it's complicated by being able to buy substandard caps at WalMart.

Definitely worth doing. Worth the money?

You know your stuff, man. I'm reading with interest. Can you answer some questions?

Isn't Tudei Kava a strain(s)?

Do you think that reverse tolerance could be overcome by doing a smaller amount a number of times? (It's expensive)

What is your opinion of "toss and wash"? I have some powdered Kava which I occasionally use at about a heaping tablespoon tossed and washed. At that amount it isn't super strong, but I definitely feel it. It's a nice addition to flower. (as you say)

The time I overdid extract, I did think of the possibility that it was a bad extract. However, there's also another factor in addition to that.
I was trying to replace marijuana with it while kicking a pretty strong pot habit. By which I mean replace, I had no marijuana. So, I was overdoing it quite a bit I'm sure.
Hi yes certainly can give you my immediate feelings there, welcome too nice always new people joining with pleasant tone like yourself as well.

Tudei. I don't know truthfully, never interested to learn it's a 2 minute Google search any time I want, but I'm into way above average, largely medical too tbf but recreation too sustainable usage, no harm so gave tudei an indefinite wide birth.

Doesn't make sense to me. It reminds me of this Thai Spirit Lau can or something, rep for blinding addicts.

Because good kava, prepped well, sunflower lecithin does facilitate KL extraction plus as an emulsifier prob by that mode, is enough, if you drink enough!

I do, lol.

Onto your question of overcoming potential RT with small amounts, would that work the same?

I'm figuring your logic is save unnecessary pence and effort for nadder initially until it's worth it.

V fair q & reasonable logic, but I wouldn't take that approach myself hypothetically.

Not saying though it's unfeasible nor against. But, I'm not sure.

It may require sufficient, normally perceptual doses to overcome RT, for all we still know yet.

If it was me, let's for now forget the $$$$$ $$$ lol aspect, presume 40 gr nightly becomes your sweetspot.

I'd just use that daily to skip through any possible RT quickly. Then settle, maybe adjust.

I never had it. 1st tried wicked Green Vanuatan instant kava. Best instant I had still actually.

1st spoon. Mum same.

Others I know not believe, having introduced then advised, guided, predicted, trusted me cos felt nothing, kept going over a week some, then thanking me in havens for their new found love, many already pure cannabis vaporising enthusiasts like myself, because it's a wick compliment.

Kava too, and good LSD, is a match.

It stops weed making the acid edgy, LSD and Kava potentiate each other, no subtraction too.

How all my acid trips gone last 3 years 43 mg's 2021 alone.

I do reason so many of the maybe 25 % most with initial kava RT dismissed it after 2nd try too.

Adding to it's rep.

But it doesn't work for everyone still that aside.

Works for me. 🙂

So, toss n wash.

Kind of how I take instant kava, not f fun, no big smoothie shit lol just minimal water, 35 ml maybe 5 to 10 hrs instant, dissolve thick slurry neck!

Never as dry powder though, that's true toss n wash as with kratom.

We need to at least sense, aka taste our food as ingested, vital signals to begin the digestive process.

Drinking kava may share this trait a little.

Personally I'd just have it on a 24/7 teleport drip lol but no choosing there.

It has long traditionally been consumed, necked fast gulped down by those tribes who yuck, each gob into the vat to extract the kavalactones!

Lol, pls summon send them some sunflower lecithin. Maybe a toothbrush each, too? Lol.

So draw the line. Wet your instant for sure. I took a 10 to 1 extract once early kava days. Dry, effectively toss wash,

Didn't like though. Felt dirty and unpleasant. Rough afterwards too.

Only real kava f me.

I really enjoy kava.

It really potentiates opiates. I used to take it with oxycodone. Very happy nod.

I'm confused. what the hell does instant kava mean? the stuff I get is from a well-known kratom vendor and it's just a ground up powder and I have to take a good five to seven grams to catch an okay buzz and maybe more to really feel it. but it's kind of sneaky and I felt like 7 to 8 g was really as far as I wanted to go, though in my head I wanted to try 14. it will simultaneously super mellow but also very noticeable. sort of like when you ingest THC via edibles, the high can be intense but also feel like nothing at all... sort of.

I love Kava, but it’s expensive. $40 for a Lb on average, and at 3 tblsp’s a serving, 2 per night. Gone in a week, easy. Kg’s are essentially just double, no quantity discount. Sadly, Amazon is about as cheap as the company’s themselves. If someone has found a cheaper route, I’m all ears.