What was the song that made you listen to your type of music?

hip-hop: (this goes waaaayy back) Roxanne Roxanne- -I forget who made this son
trance: binary finary 1998, Lustral--Everytime
D&B: Amon Tobin--Pihrana Breaks, LtJ Bukem
Jungle: Stakka Skynet & Friction--Altitude
[ 08 May 2002: Message edited by: nephil ]

gawd, thats a while ago, my brain doesnt remember back very far... lessee here... had to be dj irene's global house diva cd, paul okenfold's tranceport(yeah gamemaster!!!), and dieselboy's system upgrade were pretty early on in my techno-lovin career. Hmm, yeah those'r the ones that got me into house, trance, and jungle. I heard dieselboy spin at my first rave, which was an awesome outdoor party in a field, called water 2000.

I remember liking Frankie Bones & Cajmere back when I was like 11, but I don't think that really counts, because I had no idea what the hell kind of music I was listening to.
Otherwise, The Orb, 808 State, Prodigy, Orbital, and DJ Snuggles were the first names I started getting into, which eventually led me to my first party.

First of all, congratulations go to the greenlighter for using the search function - NICE NICE.
Second, Gamemaster is NOT done by Paul Oakenfold, it was Lost Tribe that wrote the song (by the way, listening to his GU 007 - his mixing is SHIIIT!)
Thirdly - it feels nice to have your own post brought back after a few months :)

sooooooo glad to see so many people loving orbital they were my first, and will always* be my favorite :)
Hardcore is by no means old school! Its still around, you just have to look harder...
true... but people in the states think youre talking about gabber and shit when you say hardcore... well, they really have no clue what youre saying when you say oldschool either... so i usually say early90soldschoolukhardcorerave :D

"Step On" by Happy Mondays got me into the "Madchester" type rave scene of the late 80s/early 90s that barely existed Stateside.
Later on "Loops of Fury" by the Chemical Brothers reintroduced me to the dance/rave scene.

Whoever mentioned Can't Punis Me by Dom & Rolnd, MAD PROPS!!!!!!
It was that track and Champion Sound by Q Project that got me into DnB/Jungle.
It was just my love of Hip Hop that got me into dance music though.

DJ Hyperactive - the 12 series of mixtapes..1 of 12, 2 of 12, 3 of 12, etc....
any early Frankie Bones....
what made me want to buy tables was ESP Woody McBrides "basketball heroes" track.

the songs that turned me onto trance were El Nino by Agnelli and Nelson, Time by Dream Traveller, Gamemaster by Lost Tribe (all on Tranceport, of course). Then came the GUs and it was all over. Progressive house. The Pheonix (Starecase rmx) by God Within, All the Breeder records, Tilt records and remixes, Every damn thing that Quivver did. and it goes on

Dave Ralph - Tranceport 2
4/20/00 - Drove 2 1/2hrs by myself in the rain with a 1/4 of fresh picked budz from VT, and roastin' all the way home...
This album changed my perspective on Electronica as a whole...
the Orb - Little Fluffy Clouds was one of the first tracks that I remember hearing that turned me on to it... and tracks like Josh Wink's "Higher State of Conciousness" made me just want to hear more and more, b/c I was always into heavy shit like fear factory, deftones, etc...

Illuminatus; Hope (Oliver Lieb Mix)
Dave Kane; Clarkness
Tilt; I Dream (Tilt's Ressurection Mix)
and pretty much every other song from Sasha's GU009 CD 2.
Sasha; Xpander EP
all 4 tracks were/are stunning :D
Jimpy; Talkin' (Tarrentella & Redanka Remix)
My tribal induction!

I used to say to my now-husband, "How the hell do you listen to a 10 minute song with no friggin lyrics?" Hehehe. Stupid, young girl that I was. Then I heard DAVE SEAMAN- RENAISSANCE LONDON (still my #1 cd) and my music world was flipped upside down. Some others for me were:
Stoneproof - Everything's Not you(Quivver Space Mix)
Dom & Rolland - Can't Punish Me
Craig Armstrong - Weather Storm
K&D Sessions -ALL of Disc one ("I'm speechless, speechless, speechless...YEAH!" ;) )
Onionz & Joeski Pres. Barrio Bros.- Hold On To Your Love (so soulful!)
Ahhhh! 10 minute songs RAWK!

come to think of it, i first heard blowin' in the wind when i was six, ad i fell in love with bob dylan right there.

The only tunes from ages ago that spring to mind are - Access by DJ Misjah and pretty much anything off The Reactivate 10 CD..
More recently, seeing Hype at Homelands in '99 pretty much got me started into jungle.. some of the tunes which stand out were his remix of Super Sharp Shooter.. the one with the more slidey bassline.. and his remix of Champion Sound..
I Don't go for jump-up too much any more, not since seeing Ed Rush and Optical about 2 years ago... fucking WOW!!! Stormin stuff