• MDMA &
    Empathogenic
    Drugs

Welcome Guest!
  • MDMA Moderators:

What to eat before and drink during a roll

Geam

Bluelighter
First off, I did do some research. I've read a bit around the boards and the guides. I also did do a search for threads like this. I did read the MDMA FAQ about drinking water and whatnot, but here I'm looking for more personal experience.

Eating:
It's my understanding that dairy products severly deter from a good roll. Also, I would think that grains/breads would absorb too much of the drug. Personally I eat a reasonable lunch (sandwich, chips, fruit, etc) around noon and roll between 7-10PM. Last time I did this my stomach hurt (probably from no food and extra bile) afterwards and I had to vomit. This next time I'll follow a similar path but have some antacids (Tums) on hand for the comedown to reduce acid.

What does the Bluelight population do to eat beforehand and not be starving to the point of vomiting after the comedown?

Drinking:
While rolling it's very important to stay hydrated. Drinking water is good, but drinking sports drinks or juices replenishes vitamins and sodium. One of my favorite drinks I call Orange-Red. It's orange juice and Red Bull (sugar free, because the other tastes like crap). It's not hard to imagine what that does for the roll. I'm highly against drinking alcohol while rolling (I get close enough to dehydrating just from sweating!) and depressants aren't my thing while rolling. After the comedown I love Bailey's Coffee (Bailey's Irish Cream and coffee) for a little pick-me-up to get somewhere with food. Before I roll I like to have a little grapefruit juice. The jury still seems to be out on if that actually does anything.

What does the Bluelight population drink while rolling? Any special recipes for before? during? after?

I'm hoping to start an intelligent conversation about food and drinks. Feel free to go off on a tangent!

Thanks.

--Geam

WOW...I hope this thread gets really long, because, well, what a great subject taht has not been touched on recently!

WHAT TO EAT before a roll? Fresh squeezed veg juice? Protein? Non dairy? Carbs? what not to eat? I dont like alcohol before a roll at all. Decreases it greatly. That i know. But i do not know about food....

BEFORE:-I'll usually have a nice big meal with my first pill.I'll eat say half a kebab drop my pill then eat the other half.Its makes for a better come up in that my stomach isn't groaning and bubbling away.

DURING:-Can't usually eat anything if i've had more than 2-3 pills unless you count chewing gum,so i stick to fruit juice,anything fresh and cold.

COMEDOWN:-You can't beat an ice lolly,my fav is callipo or ribena,really soothing on your mouth and the cold wakes you up a bit.Oh and plenty of strong sugary tea.

=D

usually i roll on a weekend which usually means i dont wake up that day until about noon. i eat a small lunch and then later on around 6-7 i have myself a mcdonalds meal in size for example. nothing too big but enough to fill me up. i then roll like 2 hours later so im neither full nor hungry. ive found that these meals have always been good for my rolls. also nothing mexican or anything else that makes me use the bathroom right away. (i'm mexican, not being racist.) I personally for some reason have never had to do number 2 in the bathroom while rolling. i never really understood that fully, but i didnt bother because the next morning i would be fine. the times ive rolled on empty stomachs i have felt kind of weak so i eat something small and very slowly. for example ill eat 2 pop tarts in 20 minutes. this way i dont stuff myself and give myself a stomach ache. its just a replenshing snack. on the comedown i like to always have breakfast food, seeing it usually is morning or my first waking up of the next day. nothing big though, maybe eggs, sausage and toast and lots of orange juice.

drinking during is just water, and occasionally the sip of orange juice. but for the most part water. i find it to be a good thing anyways cuz half the time i tend to spill a lil on my shirt. on the comedown i sometimes like a nice cold icehouse. for some reason that crappy beer hits the spot.

i eat a big carbo & protein rich lunch, then a smaller (but still decent sized!) dinner perferably 2-3 hours before dropping. I cant normally eat while rolling, but i can suck on lollipops, and drink liquids like powerade. Today it occurred to me that something like those Boost juice things might be good as well, except they're not known to stay open til 3 in the morning. oh well.

big lunch, med. sized dinner, rich in vitamins proteins and carbs. During, i chew gum, drink lots of water, and sometimes a redbull. When i get home, smoke a bit, eat a big healthy meal and eat vitamins, then pass out. The idea is to keep your body supplied with energy first to actually go roll and dance and then afterwards so it can recover.

Shulgin says to stay away from greasy food, because it negates absorption and therefore the effect is lessened.
I usually eat lots of fruit and salad during the day before and a big breakfast,reckon the fruit and veg makes the comedown less bad though i have no evidence to back that up just my own experience.

Pasta, fruit (bannanas especially, as they're a source of 5HTP),vegetables, orange juice.

FOOD:
The best food I found so far is a big plate of Spaghetti with no sauce - at least 1 hour before rolling. It provides carbs for all your dancing and it seems to give a stronger roll – maybe because all the starch helps make for a more Alkaline environment ?

DRINK:
During a roll just water, ice water and ice chips work the best. The ice can also be used to cool off other body parts. Afterward a Sobe Adrenaline rush or similar drink, but not RedBull (it doesn’t contain the useful ingredients that other energy drinks have).

I like on the comedown as wiht alch. ALOT" of greasey food a mcdonalds double quaterpounder with cheese is awsome :)

I prefer to fast from lunchtime on before using any psychoactives, maybe a tiny snack if I'm starved or going to drop very late.

Orange Gatorade is the weapon of choice during. If I wanna get fancy I'll get the clear Gatorade and use food-coloring tinted ice cubes :)

MDMA supresses my appetite very well, and I usually can only eat two light meals on the day afterwards. I've never noticed any nausea due to hunger afterwards.

Last edited:
Re: Drinking. I find it very intesting that I've never seen the "pinch-test" mentioned, in regards to your hydration level. I suppose cause its kinda hard to figure out...

It involves simpley pinching the loose skin on your forearm when your normal, drug free. If you do this throughout the day, you learn the normal range of "tightness". You'll notice if you get really thirsty, and dehydrated, you can pull up a lot more skin, and conversly, when you've drunk a lot of water, you can't pull up half as much.

From this you can gauge your hydration level when your on MDMA.

Pingu said:
Pasta, fruit (bannanas especially, as they're a source of 5HTP),vegetables, orange juice.

Very good point,forgot about them.Bannanas are actually the only solid i can stomach when rollling.Haven't they got some some kinda slow release energy in them,potassium???
I always get a bunch on the way to a big event.

im not even going to get involved in this one, it has been done plently of times..

Achohol NONE
Red Bull YES
Water Yes

Thing with E is i lose all apertite ..i really won;t eat for 48 hours (not good cos i'm too thin as it is) I take out those breakfast shakes with me to make sure I have enough "real" energy to keep me going,

Pingu said:

I have a problem with this... bananas don't contain 5-HTP. The only known plant that does is Griffonia Simplicifolia. Bananas are high in B6, which can help bolster serotonin synthesis.

Great tips in here, otherwise! I'll have to remember some of these when/if I roll next! :D

I figured that bananas had tryptophan in them as well but I didn't look throughly enough to see any concrete evidence of that. I just know that they don't have 5-HTP in them and they do have high levels of B6.

jebusjoe2003 - whilst bananas have RELATIVELY high levels of tryptophan (compared to other foods), they contain nowhere near enough to replenish your serotonin after taking pills. You'd need to eat hundreds of bananas, most likely. Moreover MDMA partially inactivates the enzyme tryptophan hydroxylase, required for the converstion of tryptophan to serotonin.