• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

What to do with mildewed buds?

Thanks for the feedback. I was a being a lazy bastard not researching myself as the off-season here (outdoors) is a few months long but the responses here sent me down the rabbit hole early. It seems that despite being destructive when alive and active, spore is destroyed by alcohol and high or low temperatures within certain ranges. Freezing infected dried buds over a period of days stops it in its tracks, though this is anecdotal. There were plenty of references to ice-bubble hash as a way to get rid of impurities though its a bit fiddly and time-consuming. No serious complaints about the flavour or effects, though. Spore in a blunt or joint is likewise destroyed via combustion though not much has been said about inhaling the burnt by-product. I imagine some additional benefit may come from drawing smoke through a water pipe but couldn't say for sure your lungs would be any safer.

I've since guinea-pigged a few buds from the infected batch... even wore a facemask chopping up and packing cones. Taste is certainly a bit off compared to unaffected bud though far from totally shit, so I reckon I'll split the jar and do tinctures using both the green and golden dragon tecs. I put a batch of underwhelming Michka buds I'd slightly pyro-ed during decarb through the golden dragon process and the burnt flavours were largely nullified. A dropper-full under the tongue was still noticeable, but squirted into a coffee the taste was well-masked. Definitely improved (somehow) the quality of effect. Maybe the same might be said for mildew.

ive always heard the main complaint being the bud tastes like shit from powdery mildew - i've never smoked any that i know of but im sure i probably unknowingly have

also in all my years, i can't say ive ever known somebody to actually get sick from it either even though the science says to throw it out when in doubt

i still wouldn't knowingly try to work with pm infested bud just because i have standards

now if i had to make a choice, and i had to pick one between pm infested bud and bug infested bud, i'd pick the bug infested because i'd rather consume bugs than powdery mildew

:shrug:

Weed that has any mold or mildew needs to be binned. As sad as it is. Not worth the potential damage.

To me its like people willing to finish a meal that is likely to make the sick out of stubborn behavior that they've paid 'all this money'. Yeah and you'll pay way more if the damage gets you.

One meal let's say 15$. 3 days of work missed because you were dying at home? Way fucking more than 15$.

Same thing for weed. You'll trade everything you ever had to get rid of a lung disease you got from bad buds.