• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

What to do with mildewed buds?

losthippy

Bluelighter
A large jar of buds going through curing was found to have a dose of mildew and I'm curious about what can be done with it. I've seen bad cases before and these buds are 'lightly' dusted by comparison though with the tell-tale greying and spore movement you can see in the right light. Sadly, mildew is mildew and the degradation is assured. The jar went straight in the freezer to avoid cross-contamination and perhaps slow things down, so what now? I've not had this issue before and I'm left wondering how mildew might impact on using the buds for cooking, making budder or tinctures. Seems like a waste to throw it in the stove as the pedigree is decent, but I have no interest in smoking it, so any advice readers can share will be appreciated. Cheers.

It's shitty,vut i smoked once.Got some ounzes free.Not too molded,but also no good like aroma and looklike.It kicks well,but the smoke is terrible.only waterbong

Last edited:
This is why concentrates are cheaper than weed often. Whenever a batch goes south like this, it gets made into concentrates.

-GC

I always wondered on this. I have read that when you make concentrates with it though that you end up just mounting up the count of mildew/molds so if its really bad its best to just throw it out unfortunately
You dont want to risk giving yourself lung or disease of the airways from consuming, if you make tinctures you are still introducing it to your system systemically. This is how people end up with 'random' ailments like smell sensitivity, noise sensitivity, digestive tract issues, allergies the list goes on.

The skin and our bodies help protect our bodies from a lot of bad stuff, as soon as you consume a substance it leaves your body very open to risk

The best way is to made ice bubble hash.The end product are nice even from not good quality weed.Definitely i would not throw away that stuff

I always wondered on this. I have read that when you make concentrates with it though that you end up just mounting up the count of mildew/molds so if its really bad its best to just throw it out unfortunately
You dont want to risk giving yourself lung or disease of the airways from consuming, if you make tinctures you are still introducing it to your system systemically. This is how people end up with 'random' ailments like smell sensitivity, noise sensitivity, digestive tract issues, allergies the list goes on.

The skin and our bodies help protect our bodies from a lot of bad stuff, as soon as you consume a substance it leaves your body very open to risk
Exactly
:)

yea - sorry to say, but it's garbage

go throw it outside in a fire pit - it'll smell nice and you can say goodbye to it

Any sort of mould is dangerous...your health is most important...throw it.Even if you make bubble hash it will be rubbish ...you will taste it.Its rather depressing looking at a decent pile in the bin ....been there

you might be able to make iso with it - i believe the alcohol kills it but i could be wrong - ive never even made iso myself....but it might be something to look into

in all my years, ive never had powdery mildew in flower....i had it in veg a couple times but caught it fairly early - and it was always from taking clones in from somebody else without quarantining and going nuclear on them

No no no no
Never
Ever

It goes in the bin, plain and simple
You live in rich country my friend probably.Those places are other world.You can also allow to throw food.For many in the west life is excess-you got so much from everything.Live for a while in some poor country with not cheap and hard to find sometimes even weed and you probably would thing differently.If you from poorplace,than sorry.-that's a different

Smoking plain cigarettes also can give you lung desease.Bteathing shitty air in big cities too.Making ice bubble hash and there is no mold at all finally.Even the taste is so much better.

Last edited:
Any sort of mould is dangerous...your health is most important...throw it.Even if you make bubble hash it will be rubbish ...you will taste it.Its rather depressing looking at a decent pile in the bin ....been there
No.Ice bubblehash,that i made it from bad buds is good.Almost all shit remain in water,that you throw away.Ofcourse i preffer excellent weed(who wouldn't),but if i can save it and it isn't in very bad condition,then will use it after some procedures

Last edited:
Well when i tried it the end product you could taste the mould..that was my experience with it....was rubbish.But if it worked for others...thats good ...no bin.I do believe the shit remains in the water...mould spores range from approx 5 micron -20 micron.in diameter ...the screens will not catch this ranging from 120 micron -25 micron...if you didnt taste it then you are fortunate I did.Now Im wondering why my product was rubbish ...nevermind

Last edited:
Back in the 70s I remember some folks saying that moldy weed was actually better...like you could trip on it. Urban Legend, of course, but I don't recall anyone getting sick from it or anything.

Thanks for the feedback. I was a being a lazy bastard not researching myself as the off-season here (outdoors) is a few months long but the responses here sent me down the rabbit hole early. It seems that despite being destructive when alive and active, spore is destroyed by alcohol and high or low temperatures within certain ranges. Freezing infected dried buds over a period of days stops it in its tracks, though this is anecdotal. There were plenty of references to ice-bubble hash as a way to get rid of impurities though its a bit fiddly and time-consuming. No serious complaints about the flavour or effects, though. Spore in a blunt or joint is likewise destroyed via combustion though not much has been said about inhaling the burnt by-product. I imagine some additional benefit may come from drawing smoke through a water pipe but couldn't say for sure your lungs would be any safer.

I've since guinea-pigged a few buds from the infected batch... even wore a facemask chopping up and packing cones. Taste is certainly a bit off compared to unaffected bud though far from totally shit, so I reckon I'll split the jar and do tinctures using both the green and golden dragon tecs. I put a batch of underwhelming Michka buds I'd slightly pyro-ed during decarb through the golden dragon process and the burnt flavours were largely nullified. A dropper-full under the tongue was still noticeable, but squirted into a coffee the taste was well-masked. Definitely improved (somehow) the quality of effect. Maybe the same might be said for mildew.

You live in rich country my friend probably.Those places are other world.You can also allow to throw food.For many in the west life is excess-you got so much from everything.Live for a while in some poor country with not cheap and hard to find sometimes even weed and you probably would thing differently.If you from poorplace,than sorry.-that's a different
Inhaling vaporized mold spores is like eating dog shit - it is equally detrimental to your health regardless of how much money you have

Ok..don't give a fuck.mate...throw the shit in a bin?Feel better?

^Well, that civilised the thread. My query had nothing to do with being wantonly wasteful. No mention was made of excess to toy with and burn because it wasn't worthy. If I could only grow enough to see me through the off-season and a sizable portion became mildewed, I'd sure as shit try to find out what could be salvaged before I torched.it. In the meantime I'd tuck in to all the rest that didn't become mildewed.

Last edited: