• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids What to do about pain when you have an opiate tolerance?

I didn't think getting my wisdom teeth out was that bad at all. I got all 4 out at once and I didn't even use all the Darvocet they gave me. Never even got Vicodin.

Just sell the Vics you get and use a little extra of whatever you would normally use. Honestly, if you're on H, it probably won't be a huge deal at all.

I didn't think getting my wisdom teeth out was that bad at all. I got all 4 out at once and I didn't even use all the Darvocet they gave me. Never even got Vicodin.

Just sell the Vics you get and use a little extra of whatever you would normally use. Honestly, if you're on H, it probably won't be a huge deal at all.

My wisdom teeth extraction(s) were really painful. The 10/650 Percocets they gave me only worked when I added ibuprofen. Everybody is different though :)

Honestly, the times I received Darvocet, I could have used OTC meds with the same effect. I was told by a pharmacist at the time that a lot of people claimed that they couldn't feel anything but the APAP.

Honestly, the times I received Darvocet, I could have used OTC meds with the same effect. I was told by a pharmacist at the time that a lot of people claimed that they couldn't feel anything but the APAP.

Agreed. Ibuprofen works better for pain than Darvocet IMO

1. Believe it or not, for tooth pain/removal/even infection, ibuprofen works very very well. It is an anti-inflammatory, after all.

You are used to taking pain meds for fun as opposed to for pain. You may be very surprised to learn that while a few Vicodin don't provide a high, a few Vicodin plus ibuprofen (or vicoprofen if you have them) can really make you comfortable for dental pain

2. Don't build this all up in your mind. I had 4 wisdom teeth removed, took a few Vicodin, slept, wasn't in pain. A little uncomfortable plus the gauze in my mouth annoyed me. But the next day I was at a local street festival/block party eating chips.

Some have more pain than others, but it's really not " heroin/morphine level pain"

3. As stated above if you stay off the opiates then when the time comes they will work. Tolerance doesn't drop in a day or a month. But I stayed off of opiates for about a year and had to take Vicodin for a tooth infection. And yep, it worked fine. Did I feel blasted? No. Could I feel something? Yes, because I hadn't taken an opiate in a while. Did it do what it was supposed to do ? Yep

Ive seen alot of your posts. You're young. You're going to experiment. You seem more prone to bring one of those who doesn't stop at experimenting and finishes school and leaves it alone. The good thing is-- at least you are aware there are people who've gone through it all and where they end up. And you know somewhere in you that you're going to need help even if you're nowhere near ready to really ask for it. So in a way, you're ahead of where alot of us were at that stage of the game.

Just don't let the drugs become what you live for. Or you will look back at 40 and realize that you only get one life and there is no reset button. And yes, in the grand scheme of things we are insignificant. But to you, your life is not...

Like the kid standing on a beach where the tide had washed up a lot of starfish. He was throwing them back into the water one by one, before they dried out and died in the sun. His friend came by and said " what are you doing? It's not going to make a difference. There are thousands up and down the beach".
The kid picked up another and threw it back into the surf. He said "But it matters to that one".

1. Believe it or not, for tooth pain/removal/even infection, ibuprofen works very very well. It is an anti-inflammatory, after all.

You are used to taking pain meds for fun as opposed to for pain. You may be very surprised to learn that while a few Vicodin don't provide a high, a few Vicodin plus ibuprofen (or vicoprofen if you have them) can really make you comfortable for dental pain

2. Don't build this all up in your mind. I had 4 wisdom teeth removed, took a few Vicodin, slept, wasn't in pain. A little uncomfortable plus the gauze in my mouth annoyed me. But the next day I was at a local street festival/block party eating chips.

Some have more pain than others, but it's really not " heroin/morphine level pain"

3. As stated above if you stay off the opiates then when the time comes they will work. Tolerance doesn't drop in a day or a month. But I stayed off of opiates for about a year and had to take Vicodin for a tooth infection. And yep, it worked fine. Did I feel blasted? No. Could I feel something? Yes, because I hadn't taken an opiate in a while. Did it do what it was supposed to do ? Yep

Ive seen alot of your posts. You're young. You're going to experiment. You seem more prone to bring one of those who doesn't stop at experimenting and finishes school and leaves it alone. The good thing is-- at least you are aware there are people who've gone through it all and where they end up. And you know somewhere in you that you're going to need help even if you're nowhere near ready to really ask for it. So in a way, you're ahead of where alot of us were at that stage of the game.

Just don't let the drugs become what you live for. Or you will look back at 40 and realize that you only get one life and there is no reset button. And yes, in the grand scheme of things we are insignificant. But to you, your life is not...

Like the kid standing on a beach where the tide had washed up a lot of starfish. He was throwing them back into the water one by one, before they dried out and died in the sun. His friend came by and said " what are you doing? It's not going to make a difference. There are thousands up and down the beach".
The kid picked up another and threw it back into the surf. He said "But it matters to that one".

This!

That story at the end was actually pretty touching. I think it was a curiosity that drove me to start using initially, and depression that kept me using, and the depression has been the cause of relapses for me as well. I do know it is wrong though, and I've talked to my friends about it trying to seek help but nothing they say seems to work unfortunately, and one friend knows someone who also was addicted to Heroin and they say I'm just like them. They want help but nothing seems to work at the same time.

This coming Sunday I have an appointment to see a psychiatrist though so I am trying still even though I relapsed. I was told one of the first things she will ask me is if I have an issue with substance abuse. I don't know if I want to completely lie yet in order to (hopefully) be prescribed some benzos (XR, otherwise I'd abuse them), not lie but withold the full truth and tell them I'm an alcoholic for I fear if I tell them about my actual drug issues I won't be prescribed anything at all and will be turned away, or to be honest and tell them about all of my issues like the heroin abuse, benzo abuse, alcohol abuse, insomnia, depression, and anxiety. I really want benzos though because when I wasn't abusing them I actually did use then therapeutically and it helped a lot I think.

As someone mentioned, you may get percocets/oxycodone instead.

Extraction of 3rd molars is so painful, especially when it's surgical and they're impacted. Take gentle care if yourself during the healing process.

My 16 yr old niece got percs after her impacted 3rd molar removal. And trust me, a 5mg had her loopy because ahe does'nt take meds. I can't tell you how to drug seek, but you have a right to ask as a patient.

Suggestions:
800 mg of ibuprofen (i know, u want the hard stuff, but seriously, 800 ibuprofen helps with the inflammation)

avoid a dry socket (no sucking from a.straw, smoking, spitting or rinsing for 24 hrs.) You need for that socket to heal and if you do what I just told you to avoid, chances are you're clot will not form then you'll wish you had a million pain pills.

clove oil is great to keep on hand and actually, it's an ingredient of dry socket medicine.

tea bags are great for bleeding. If you bleed too much, wet a tea bag, squeeze out excess water and bite down for 15 minutes.

(I started out in dentistry, worked with the coroner for a few years, then went on to pathology.)

As someone mentioned, you may get percocets/oxycodone instead.

Extraction of 3rd molars is so painful, especially when it's surgical and they're impacted. Take gentle care if yourself during the healing process.

My 16 yr old niece got percs after her impacted 3rd molar removal. And trust me, a 5mg had her loopy because ahe does'nt take meds. I can't tell you how to drug seek, but you have a right to ask as a patient.

Suggestions:
800 mg of ibuprofen (i know, u want the hard stuff, but seriously, 800 ibuprofen helps with the inflammation)

avoid a dry socket (no sucking from a.straw, smoking, spitting or rinsing for 24 hrs.) You need for that socket to heal and if you do what I just told you to avoid, chances are you're clot will not form then you'll wish you had a million pain pills.

clove oil is great to keep on hand and actually, it's an ingredient of dry socket medicine.

tea bags are great for bleeding. If you bleed too much, wet a tea bag, squeeze out excess water and bite down for 15 minutes.

(I started out in dentistry, worked with the coroner for a few years, then went on to pathology.)
Oh no, not at all am I only looking for the "hard stuff". After the surgery I'll have dope for recreational use, and while I could use it for pain as well I was legitimately just asking a good medicine I could use purely for the pain from the surgery. Whether it has a huge abuse potential or literally none at all doesn't matter to me.

Oh no, not at all am I only looking for the "hard stuff". After the surgery I'll have dope for recreational use, and while I could use it for pain as well I was legitimately just asking a good medicine I could use purely for the pain from the surgery. Whether it has a huge abuse potential or literally none at all doesn't matter to me.

I meant the "hard stuff" joking. Trust me, I'd take percs over motrin any day. However, the motrin did more for me than pers/vics because the opiates raised my blood pressure, and that made my sockets hurt worse. The ibuprofen took the pain away.

Will you get a steroid pack? Some dentist will prescribe a steroid to help with the swelling.

You def don't want cellulitis after surgery.

good luck, take care

I meant the "hard stuff" joking. Trust me, I'd take percs over motrin any day. However, the motrin did more for me than pers/vics because the opiates raised my blood pressure, and that made my sockets hurt worse. The ibuprofen took the pain away.

Will you get a steroid pack? Some dentist will prescribe a steroid to help with the swelling.

You def don't want cellulitis after surgery.

good luck, take care
I doubt it, everyone I know that got their wisdom teeth out where I'm going was prescribed like 20 5/500 Vicoden. I'll probably play the "it's not working* card however so I can get prescribed some Oxy as well.

That's pretty much what I got back in 05 and that was in the epicenter of one of the most heavily prescribed cities in America. I had all 4 impacted wisdom teeth taken out at same time. Dentists aren't going to bump you up much. I was opiate naive at the time and barely needed them. You'll be alright methinks.