• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids What to do about pain when you have an opiate tolerance?

shadowstryker

Bluelighter
So I have a decent tolerance for opiates from Oxy/heroin abuse, but in a couple months I'll be getting my wisdom teeth out. Vicoden is usually prescribed after you get your wisdom teeth removed where I am, but there's now way a Vic is going to get rid of the pain from the removal for me. Are there any painkillers the doc could prescribe me for the pain that wouldn't be affected by opiate tolerance? If not worse case scenario I just use gear, but I was just wondering. I was advised by a friend to just sell off the Vics they give me for more gear, which doesn't sound like a bad idea.

I take it you don't and haven't had a legit Rx for any of the opiates you took? I do and whenever I go to the dentist (and I am a real baby there) I tell them I'm in PM and the usual doesn't begin to touch what they do to me. At times they ask me to go to my PMC, but others they Rx'ed a larger dose of the usual. Believe it or not, the combination of what I took from my pain docs and some vicoprofen (the one with Advil in it) actually does the trick. Granted I took more than most would, but I was shocked.

If not don't get them legally or can't, maybe you can just explain to the dentist that over the years you have developed a decent tolerance to pain meds. You could try to make it sound on the up and up, don't know. If nothing else works, I'd try to find some pain meds on the street for at least 3-4 days. Hope you can figure something out. Good Luck!

I would try telling doctor that your tolerance is in the Percocet level. They shouldn't have a problem bumping up your script. Tell the doctor that your mouth is real sensitive. I believe they have numbing mouth wash. If you need extra even after the dental surgery, you have to do what you have to do. I would honestly tell them you are a bit tolerant to pain meds. It's a 50/50 shot. They may just understand. I hope this works out for you.

I take it you don't and haven't had a legit Rx for any of the opiates you took? I do and whenever I go to the dentist (and I am a real baby there) I tell them I'm in PM and the usual doesn't begin to touch what they do to me. At times they ask me to go to my PMC, but others they Rx'ed a larger dose of the usual. Believe it or not, the combination of what I took from my pain docs and some vicoprofen (the one with Advil in it) actually does the trick. Granted I took more than most would, but I was shocked.

If not don't get them legally or can't, maybe you can just explain to the dentist that over the years you have developed a decent tolerance to pain meds. You could try to make it sound on the up and up, don't know. If nothing else works, I'd try to find some pain meds on the street for at least 3-4 days. Hope you can figure something out. Good Luck!
Thanks. Yeah I've never been prescribed painkillers before, all of my opiate use has been of my own accord/from the streets. Like I said worse comes to worse I'll use heroin for the pain since I use it recreationally anyway. If I am prescribed hydrocodone I'll probably sell it off for more gear because it sells for an insane amount of cash where I'm at (I could probably buy 2g of good quality heroin with the money from selling the pills), but if I'm prescribed Oxy I might keep it because I love Oxy. I have a pretty high pain tolerance though so who knows, I might not even need it.

I like ketamine
Wow, you know I've heard of ketamine before and was even offered some at a Woodstock-like festival a few months ago (didn't buy any though because I was already tripping at the time), but I had no idea it was a painkiller. Not only that, but a painkiller that doesn't cause respiratory issues and isn't cross-tolerant with opioids. That's actually a really interesting drug I'll look into because it's interesting, however I can guarantee 100% that, like taco said, there's no way a doc would prescribe me ketamine for getting my wisdom teeth removed.

wisdom teeth removal surgery is pretty painful. when i had mine removed they scripted me hydrocodone/apap 7.5/750 at first. when that didnt work i called in and told them i was still in pain. they then scripted me oxycodone/apap 10/650 . me , being an opiate addict eventually called again and said i ran out of the oxycodone and needed more. they told me to take the rest of the hydrocodone , heh. but anyways, if you talk to your oral surgeon you should be able to at least get some oxycodone prescribed.. just fyi, ibuprofen works wonders for dental pain. i know it doesn't sound that great but it really does work. good luck..

If you can manage to stay clean like you have been then the Vic's will work just fine. YOU HAVE TO STAY OFF THE SHIT THOUGH!!

wisdom teeth removal surgery is pretty painful. when i had mine removed they scripted me hydrocodone/apap 7.5/750 at first. when that didnt work i called in and told them i was still in pain. they then scripted me oxycodone/apap 10/650 . me , being an opiate addict eventually called again and said i ran out of the oxycodone and needed more. they told me to take the rest of the hydrocodone , heh. but anyways, if you talk to your oral surgeon you should be able to at least get some oxycodone prescribed.. just fyi, ibuprofen works wonders for dental pain. i know it doesn't sound that great but it really does work. good luck..
Well it won't hurt to try it, thanks for the ibuprofen tip. Same for the Oxycodone too, I'll probably be able to squeeze a second script out of my doc after the surgery considering I had a natural opiate tolerance to begin with (it took 45mg Oxy to get me nodding the first time).

Well it won't hurt to try it, thanks for the ibuprofen tip. Same for the Oxycodone too, I'll probably be able to squeeze a second script out of my doc after the surgery considering I had a natural opiate tolerance to begin with (it took 45mg Oxy to get me nodding the first time).

i think you should expect adequate pain control if you are seeing an oral surgeon. if you go to a regular dentist, thats a different story...i went to an oral surgeon for my wisdom teeth.

That's not how opiate tolerance works.

Yes it does, I've seen the scientific articles. It helps big time.

And ketamine is very impractical for pain because just over the dose that blocks pain causes a mimic of psychotic illness. And just over the psychotic illness dose is complete black darkness where you can't move or see, called "k-hole".

I've got intranasal ketamine right now and don't use it. Switching opiates is very useful and cuts down the insistence of hyperalgesia.

That's not how opiate tolerance works.
It actually does to a degree. Going from morphine to hydro/oxymorphone does not make a change as they bind to the same region of receptors (Mu) while switching from something like oxycodone to morphine there is not as much cross tolerance as even though there is Mu activity most of oxycodone is focused on the kappa region. Since you go between heroin and oxycodone though you'll have a slight tolerance in both areas.

Edit: I just noticed who posted this thread. Shadow your fucking up bad. What happens if you break your arm and they can't get you pain meds that work as you raised your tolerance without your doctors knowledge.... Hell it is the situation you are in now.

Also do not try to smoke anything afterwords unless you want a dry socket, which would be all fun and games if it didn't hurt so much I wanted to blow my brains out.

Last edited:
Obviously it's not something his dentist would give him for wisdom tooth removal. Gabapentin and pregabalin are not either. But if you can get it on your own, it beats going out and buying dope. Ibuprofen and naproxen are good too.

How does the oxy compare to h for you?
They're both very similar for me, excluding the speed of the onset. I tend to favor Oxy as I find it more sedative however.

It actually does to a degree. Going from morphine to hydro/oxymorphone does not make a change as they bind to the same region of receptors (Mu) while switching from something like oxycodone to morphine there is not as much cross tolerance as even though there is Mu activity most of oxycodone is focused on the kappa region. Since you go between heroin and oxycodone though you'll have a slight tolerance in both areas.

Edit: I just noticed who posted this thread. Shadow your fucking up bad. What happens if you break your arm and they can't get you pain meds that work as you raised your tolerance without your doctors knowledge.... Hell it is the situation you are in now.

Also do not try to smoke anything afterwords unless you want a dry socket, which would be all fun and games if it didn't hurt so much I wanted to blow my brains out.
Strange, I wasn't aware there was little cross tolerance. I've found that using H definitely made my Oxy tolerance rise. Pain has never been an issue for me before, I once broke my arm in 12 different places and didn't know it for almost 3 weeks, so I'll probably be fine. Worse comes to worse I have dope for pain.