• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

What kind of Oxy pills are smoked usually?

Also, can someone explain to me how it would be physically possible to get a higher bioavailability orally than snorting?

Some drugs are absorbed differently than others. For example if a drug is absorbed by the fundus (a part of the oral digestion tract that comes earlier than the stomach), oral BA would be substantially higher than nasal, most likely. Some drugs have poor BA through nasal absorption for reasons I don't fully understand, as I'm not an expert. Oxy has better oral BA than nasal. Nasal hits sooner still though. Also regarding smoking, it always results in a substantially shorter duration, and a much faster onset. Which makes it more addictive in general, which is probably why people do it. If the same amount of a drug, or even less of it, hits you instantly all at once, the rush is going to be greater even if you end up with less of the drug in your system. It's still very wasteful though.

Some drugs are absorbed differently than others. For example if a drug is absorbed by the fundus (a part of the oral digestion tract that comes earlier than the stomach), oral BA would be substantially higher than nasal, most likely. Some drugs have poor BA through nasal absorption for reasons I don't fully understand, as I'm not an expert. Oxy has better oral BA than nasal. Nasal hits sooner still though. Also regarding smoking, it always results in a substantially shorter duration, and a much faster onset. Which makes it more addictive in general, which is probably why people do it. If the same amount of a drug, or even less of it, hits you instantly all at once, the rush is going to be greater even if you end up with less of the drug in your system. It's still very wasteful though.

See this is what I don’t understand, shouldn’t intranasal administration of a water solvable drug have 100% bioavailability? That is, why would not all of it get absorbed. What happens to the other 30%?

Or maybe I’m misunderstanding what bioavailability means. Is bioavailability just the ratio of area under curve (AUC, sum of concentration of the drug at all points in time for those of you who may not know) of X roa vs IV AUC.

If that’s the case I can understand how the bioavailability of oral could potentially be higher than intranasal or smoking.

But that would imply that bioavailability alone should not determine your roa. That is, the most recreational roa is not necessarily the roa with the greatest AUC.

See this is what I don’t understand, shouldn’t intranasal administration of a water solvable drug have 100% bioavailability? That is, why would not all of it get absorbed. What happens to the other 30%?

Or maybe I’m misunderstanding what bioavailability means. Is bioavailability just the ratio of area under curve (AUC, sum of concentration of the drug at all points in time for those of you who may not know) of X roa vs IV AUC.

If that’s the case I can understand how the bioavailability of oral could potentially be higher than intranasal or smoking.

But that would imply that bioavailability alone should not determine your roa. That is, the most recreational roa is not necessarily the roa with the greatest AUC.

It's got something to do with First Pass Metabolism by the Liver when taken Orally.

It's got something to do with First Pass Metabolism by the Liver when taken Orally.
First pass metabolism typically reduces the bioavailability (it may by definition, reduce ba). There are some circumstances (eg codeine I think, where first pass metabolism increases effects).

I don’t understand how first pass metabolism could increase bioavailability vs intranasal or smoking.

A mate used to smoke old formula oxys. In Australia we get CR 20,40,80's. I remember him saying he only smoked the 80's and very occasionally 40's due to the lesser mg pills having more binder which makes sense.