Career Advice What is your Trade?

LkginOQ.jpg

Telephone Lineman. 1800s- early 1900s.

Electrical eEnginner of 20 years. Fuck knows how i got through college i cant really remember much about it! Im a mixed up person. Im a bit of a nerd with computers and phones, technology etc, got a decent job but im a raging amphetamine lover or any other stims i can get hold of. My life is kinda "stuck in a loop" at the moment. Doing the same over and over .....

I'm an agricultural student with my dream being to own my own farm.

I work mostly with sheep, but have some experience working with cattle, poultry and swine.

I have driven a range of tractors with a variety of implements. From shit as simple as rollers to fertiliser spreaders.

And I have a keen interest I'm mycology. (I think there's money in it too).

Truck/lorry driver taxi driver /Catering business
Do Punjabi catering for weddings and parties would have loved to study Political History but my addiction to drugs got me kicked out of 2 high schools and a continuation school. Started driving truck at 18 because of age could only stay within CAat 21 i could drive 48 and did addiction led me to UK where until i could move up the licenses to a HGV lorry driver i drove a taxi. Passed my Heavy Goods Vehicle license and started driving a lorry. Some coke talk with cousin led me to Wedding catering. The former has given me financial stability would have loved to get an education but i was a straight F student only classes i passed was small engine repair a C World History an A US history an A and US govermant an A at continuation school we only had to go school 3 hours a day we did our own work and could earn with hard work Upto 5 credits a week I earned 10 in 2 years. Nothing makes you feel stupid like when you wife is out and your daughter who was 11 at the time wants help with algebra and you ain't got a fucking clue.I was not stupid just how much work you going to get done if you were out all night snorting crank sneak back in have a shower and only go to the classes i enjoyed.

Was told that Power Lineman can make $70,000 in 1 month doing storm work (working hurricane damage etc).
Holy fuck

Edited for a while, mostly sci-fi/fantasy.
Then moved into IT stuff. Programming, security, etc.
Then got involved developing technical standards. That was very cool once I started flying around the world on their dime.
Now it's whatever seems interesting at the moment. Mostly my garden, apparently.

In all honesty about as useful to society as Lt. Dab that's sad but it's true

In trades I am a CNC Machine OP.

I went to a private career college after I already had two years experience from working in a surgical scalpel blade grinding department ii b a medical manufacturing plant between 2013-2015. It was a new area, new machines. No more ordering blades in but now we grind our own! This experience gave me the rundown on CNC up to a setup operator level and some maintenance, supervision, I had company email, etc. Pay sucked but the experience got me into the college program as a shoe in. It was a youth job training program which led me to a CNC mill / lathe / broach (I ran multiple operations) operator job which paid fairly well. I worked that job for 1.5-2 years. I've had a few odd gigs in machining otherwise.

That's my trade if I ever go back into trades.

i am a logger! definitely a recovering addicts playground. you get hooked on the adrenaline, fast paced dangerous nature of the work. being way out in the forest all day. you really can't get out of it once it gets into your blood.

i am a logger! definitely a recovering addicts playground. you get hooked on the adrenaline, fast paced dangerous nature of the work. being way out in the forest all day. you really can't get out of it once it gets into your blood.
Hell yeah brother. That's the shit. I bet you make bank doing so.
We cut tree's on the side. We will get farmers ask us to cut tree's, and why not?
Private 'tree removal' pays $1,500-$10,000 , per tree. Depending if we need cranes, chippers, laborers. Factors, in having a "side business" when you are working your day job lol..
Wish I took pics, my belt has a rope safety, tree climber safety. Climbed a tree with my safety all the way out, I was just climbing the tree to get to the utility lines, still, it's fun to run around the tree .

Something like that.

Yo @seedee, give this song a listen. It may be right up your alley.

I've been looking into various apprenticeships, electricians looked promising, but a lot of them seemed to require a bit of experience or at least college related electrical theory knowledge

still looking into it tho, might be going back to college here soon
Read my post mate. Once u have a trade your sorted

I never went to formal training for anything, but I've done everything from kitchen work to corporate administration so I guess I'm a jack of all trades.

I've also played in rock bands for years (writing, singing, keyboards, guitar and drums).

I'll never be a nuclear physicist, but I never really wanted to anyway. Sounds boring.

Worked as a pharmacy technician for a small local chain for a couple years before transisitioning to the largest chain in the country with displeasure. I worked pharmacy for five years and couldn't deal with the people anymore, even my coworkers were getting on my nerves plus company politics always changing. I quit pharmacy earlier this year and switched to a field that I am more interested in. Technology, working as a cable technician is hopefully just the beginning. :)

From pharmacy technician to a cable technician, that's a tech-savvy leap! It's totally understandable that dealing with people and company politics in the pharmacy world can get a bit overwhelming.

Wishing you all the best as you embark on this new tech journey! And hey, speaking of exploring new fields, have you ever considered checking out the costs of HVAC school? It might add an interesting layer to your skill set. I found this link that could have some cool insights https://www.hvacschools411.com/school-cost/. Who knows, it might spark some thoughts about potential career paths!

Last edited: