• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

What is your favorite HEALTHY munchie food?

tropical fruit trail mix, mixed nuts, all kinds of fruits, and dark choc 70% cocoa...yum :)

what about healthy drinks?? ive been addicted to gatorade. mmm electrolytes = good.

crystalcallas said:
If I don't eat my daily habit of raw fresh veggies I end up not going to the bathroom at all for a couple of days ...that super SUCKS!!! :p Anyway I just snacked on this (heaven): 1 huge bowl of fresh assorted lettuce (romaine, iceberg, arugula) and a dipping sauce with lots of garlic, kikkoman soy sauce, pepper sauce and freshly ground black pepper. I dip a piece of the lettuce in the sauce (just barely!) and munch away! I can go thru a whole bowl (equivalent to a head of cabbage ;)) in 10-15 minutes. Even without the sauce I can eat the whole thing as it is. Man I love the taste, the freshness, and the crunchiness of the texture :D

ps. the sauce may be a bit too hot for others tastes....it's perfect for moi ;)

No critising because this sounds tasty, but doesn't lettuce have relativley low nutritional value?

No critising because this sounds tasty, but doesn't lettuce have relativley low nutritional value?

All green leafy veggies are good to me ;) Lettuce (Romaine, Arugula, chinese cabbage, etc) fills more than half my ration of "raw" veggies everyday!I can't do without it. The more bitter lettuces and the ones with pigmented leaves supposedly contain more antioxidants than the bland iceberg variety.
I'd rather have raw veggies than cooked veggies...it's so much more better for you...but that's another thread ;)

Hmmmm...now I'm eating whole wheat almond nut crunch cereal with WHOLE fresh milk and 2 bananas. Milk is one of my weaknesses...none of that skim shit for me. I gotta have it creamy whole!

Last edited:
Frozen strawberries (Heaven), Frozen honey dew melon balls, frozen grapes (delicious), Frozen mango, frozen peach and frozen pineapple, and bananas
I buy 10lb mix bags of this stuff everyweek.
Its usually gone in 5 days, so its not too bad.
If im out of that, apples are up there too, I love the taste of fresh or frozen fruit (Im not a big meat eater ;)) seriously, how can people not eat fruit non stop? its delicious, cheap, and surprisingly fillng. I'd rather have a bowl of plump strawberries then a chocolate bar, or peice of cake ect...
Maybe its just me..

Also, I love healthy shakes, 4 cups mixed fruit, two whole bananas (Bananas give it that creamy consistancy), ~3-4 cups of skim milk (add milk to desired texture) and about 10 ice cubes, its delicious and awsome meal replacement. I usually throw in my multi-vitamins in too. Maybe im weird...

Here's a list of healthy munchies I eat:

roasted unsalted peanuts -

surprisingly low in fat

frozen grapes -

whoever else said that, respect!

tuna -

tuna, plain yogurt, lemon juice, pepper and some chopped cucuumber, tomato and onion on toasted wholemeal - this is waaay nicer than tuna mayo is a stupidly healthy meal.

Wholemeal pita and hummus -

delicious with some chilies or olives

Any kind of meat!!!!!!

dark lettuces have vitamin K. an underated vitamin They used to think only crocodilians needed it WE do it .

my snacks
Pour some virgin olive oil( 1st cold press) lust like th eitaliand so

and then dip toasted bread in it and eat in front of tv. if not in mood for bread , i salt the oil a bit and dip srips of dark lettuce till the oil is all gone.

other snacks TON of bananas ( not one of those peopel who gets gas from that )
and my faorite new one
walnuts in the shell. oh my god walnusts have Omega3s as much as fish i think
but be careful onceina while a tiny worm ( ?) will be inside hey that s life ! and dont accidnetally eay any shell or youll break a tooth but self shelled walnuts are so much better and buttery than preshelled yuck !

another : cherries or blueberries Both are so freaking healthy !

Believe it or not, you guys are lucky to have bananas at present. There was a cyclone in Queensland that took out the mainly OZ supply a few months ago and our government isn't importing them. There were some left, but they've shot up to $12-14 AUD per Kilo rather than the usual $2-3 and are of worse quality generally.

For the past few weeks I've been eating goji berries like there's no tomorrow. They're so yummy that I really can't stop eating them. An added benefit to eating them is that they're full of beta-carotene, all 8 essential amino acids, and trace minerals.

Some other snacky foods that I like eating are dried mangoes, and pumpkin seeds. :)

Wasabi Peas! Entire bag = no taste left for anything else though hehe.

Tuna + Cottage Cheese = not something I'm going to be doing again.

Edible, but not enjoyable. Perhaps it was the cottage cheese that screwed me over. I'm sure I just ate about 50g of protein though.

^^Whats a good substitute for banana's in my protein shake? I too hate paying $14 for the suckers.

There was some other thread going around that said cottage cheese is full of protein goodness (yes I know it sounds like I'm infatuated with the stuff, trust me I've tried one tub and I'm dubious as to the tasty benefits).

Not that this is a substitute for bananas but combined with one of these other fruits may make your smoothie cheaper (by reducing amount of whey protein you add) and also reducing the number of bananas you add :)

From Nutrition Smarts:

Tangelos are a cross between a tangerine and a grapefruit. They look like an orange, are tangier than a tangerine, and sweeter than a grapefruit. One variety is the Minneola, with its distinctive stem-end neck. Like other citrus, they provide vitamin C, potassium and soluble fiber.

Kiwis are grown in New Zealand, as well as California, and were once known as the Chinese gooseberry. After New Zealand fruit growers renamed it for their national bird, sales took off. They're very high in vitamin C, with a medium fruit containing 70 milligrams. They're also rich in potassium and pectin. Kiwis contain an enzyme, actinidin, which is a natural meat tenderizer.

Star fruit, also known as the star apple or carambola, is a bright yellow subtropical fruit. It gets its name from the deeply ribbed exterior, which forms a five-pointed star when the fruit is cut crosswise. Its juicy flesh tastes somewhat like a pineapple, plum and lemon combined. You can eat star fruit with the peel and all. One medium fruit has 30 calories, plus fiber, vitamin C and flavonoids.