• 🇬🇧󠁿 🇸🇪 🇿🇦 🇮🇪 🇬🇭 🇩🇪 🇪🇺
    European & African
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • EADD Moderators: axe battler | Pissed_and_messed

What is the Worst Thing You've Ever Done, and what is Your Biggest Regret?

Reading 25 pages of "On the Road" and not suing Jack Kerouac for the time wasted. BTW, if anyone here thinks they're about to do the next worst thing because of drugs you're planning on taking...feel free to send the drugs to me instead.

I know mate. I had a similar feeling after reading 'Zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance', and anything spunked out by William Burroughs.

Most of these so called 'classics' are anything but...

I know mate. I had a similar feeling after reading 'Zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance',
Did you manage to complete it?

I've tried twice, once in my youth, and once again a couple of years ago, and Did Not Finish both times. Not sure if I will give it a 3rd go at some point.

With On The Road, I didn't get very far with it as a teen, although I did complete it on my second attempt a couple of years ago. It must have been something 'of it's time' I presume, because it didn't do a whole lot for me either, reading it as a middle aged guy in the 2020s.

There is one of the so called modern classics from roughly the same time as those 2 books (it's release date is a half way point between the 2) - Ken Kesey's One Flew Over The Cukoo's Nest, that is actually is well worth reading if you haven't already. Right from the attention grabbing opening it just hooks you and keeps you invested throughout. It's just so good, and very deep too. But in an accessible way.

Last edited:
Did you manage to complete it?

I've tried twice, once in my youth, and once again a couple of years ago, and Did Not Finish both times. Not sure if I will give it a 3rd go at some point.

With On The Road, I didn't get very far with it as a teen, although I did complete it on my second attempt a couple of years ago. It must have been something 'of it's time' I presume, because it didn't do a whole lot for me either, reading it as a middle aged guy in the 2020s.

There is one of the so called modern classics from roughly the same time as those 2 books (it's release date is a half way point between the 2) - Ken Kesey's One Flew Over The Cukoo's Nest, that is actually is well worth reading if you haven't already. Right from the attention grabbing opening it just hooks you and keeps you invested throughout. It's just so good, and very deep too. But in an accessible way.

Yeh, I managed to complete it, but it wasn't what I would call 'gripping'.

The only book I've not been able to finish was 'The Number of the Beast' by Robert A Heinlein.

It's the only work of his that I've attempted, and will be the last. It's about 600 pages long and I battled on to the very last chapter before giving up and throwing it in the bin.

Absolute garbage.

I've not read 'One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest', but I can well believe it's excellent.

I most certainly think 'Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance' is an excellent philosophy book exploring what the definition of quality is but in fact the follow up 'Lila' is even better.... BUT they are philosophy books and the stories are just ways of expressing quality and ethics.
I very much doubt many people would buy 'Tractatus Logico Philosophicus' and think 'well this looks ideal to read on the beach on my holidays. It's because it was bought in huge numbers in the 1960s and very much fitted the vibe and sadly has become one of those books you are MEANT to have read. It's possily the greatest work on metaphysics as Wittgenstein writes it in a form that allows you to reference back so you can work out how he reched his conclusions.... but HARD to read.

Zataomm isn't MEANT to entertain, it's MEANT to educate and it does.

BTW you cannot jump into a 1960s book of philosophy unless you have at least read ' History of Western Philosophy' and ideally everything from the Greeks onwards. You have to build a tower of understanding. Zataomm actually uses ideas from Eastern philosophy as well. Metaphysics is HARD..

On another topic, has anyone got through Finnigan's Wake?

Yes! Was a long time ago now though, and was a helluva slog too iirc

Only book I have never managed to finish (and I tried twice) is The Silmarillion

To paraphrase Dorothy Parker 'a short story padded'

When it was released almost all reviews were negative BUT the authors stature meant it still sold. I'm prepared to bet that only a small percentage of readers ever finished it.
For what it's worth, I think the 1 good piece of writing by Burroughs is 'Junky' which is really more journalism than anything, 'Cain's Book' by alexander Trocchi is a roman a clef i.e. it's much like Junky in style AND content.

I most certainly think 'Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance' is an excellent philosophy book exploring what the definition of quality is but in fact the follow up 'Lila' is even better.... BUT they are philosophy books and the stories are just ways of expressing quality and ethics.
I very much doubt many people would buy 'Tractatus Logico Philosophicus' and think 'well this looks ideal to read on the beach on my holidays. It's because it was bought in huge numbers in the 1960s and very much fitted the vibe and sadly has become one of those books you are MEANT to have read. It's possily the greatest work on metaphysics as Wittgenstein writes it in a form that allows you to reference back so you can work out how he reched his conclusions.... but HARD to read.

Zataomm isn't MEANT to entertain, it's MEANT to educate and it does.

BTW you cannot jump into a 1960s book of philosophy unless you have at least read ' History of Western Philosophy' and ideally everything from the Greeks onwards. You have to build a tower of understanding. Zataomm actually uses ideas from Eastern philosophy as well. Metaphysics is HARD..

On another topic, has anyone got through Finnigan's Wake?
Helpful post, thanks.

I have been getting back into reading and learning about books since the covid lockdown, and having discovered that audiobooks work for me, it gave me a way back in, now that I have accepted that I can no longer read printed books, for whatever reason.

I haven't got very far with James Joyce at all. No way would I have the "smarticle particles" for Finnigan's Wake. That is what one very smart 'booktuber', Jack Edwards, said about that book, and if it's beyond him as a highly intelligent literature graduate, then I know it would be so far beyond me as to make even an attempt at it completely ridiculous.

I'm alternating at the moment between easy reading books followed by something a bit more serious or classic. Currently really enjoying Paul Auster's Moon Palace. Most of his stories that I have encountered so far seem to be fantastic stories about people loosing the plot and becoming homeless, and all set in New York. At least that's what is happening on the surface, not too sure about whatever deeper layers there might be, and what they are supposed to mean at this stage, but it's always good to find a writer and books that one can connect with, at whatever level.

Last edited:
Thank you for reminding me of that book. The movie's pretty interesting too. I loved both and I think many others would, too. Just read now that according to one of the Wikipedia page's sources, the ALA (American Library Association) Office for Intellectual Freedom, the book is one of the most banned and challenged books. It's things like this and the Rock and Roll Hall of Shame that make me wonder why the self-ordained arbiters of "taste", "quality", and "obscene" have their heads up their asses. Probably loved the smell of their own farts, dug a little too deep, and got their heads stuck. And yet somehow they still claim their shit doesn't stink.

worst thing ive ever done. i was working for a family friend ,he was a mechanic and i was working off some work he had done for me. he needed me to go get parts from his shop and buy us lunch. he hand a fat stack of cash. my eyes lite up , i bet my pupils even dilated. i bailed . spent every cent on meth, disappeared, never came back..... i got what was coming to me, they fucked me and sold me some bunk that bubble like it was soap.this was the only time i ever stole to support my habit .ive always earned my own shit. my biggest regret is putting getting high before sarah... the love of my life. i lost her once and knew i could change .and i did. but i feel back in once again but this time the needle took hold. she couldnt help me . she left ,blocked me and vanished from my life. i fell into 2 years of shooting meth everyday basically trying to overdose cause i was broken. spent 10k . during that time.she is a nurse now and married. i only know through people who happen to know her. its like she died because i have no idea whats going on with her. how to contact her. nothing .im still greiving the lose of her.

Hmm, probably pissing through someone's door mail slot when I was 15, but I was a troubled kid and so were my friends. Said house was also full of pretty awful people.
My biggest regret, it's hard to say. I'd have to think long and hard on that one. Staying with the wrong crowd of people for too long would be up there. But ultimately, even though it's not entirely my fault: allowing mental illness to control me the ways it has, especially in the past 1 year.

Didn't buy $10k worth of Ethereum tokens in 2015.

I imagine that not only would I never have to worry about money but I bet my health would still be good. You see, when you do stuff like this and miss big opportunities you get depressed and anxious. I fucked up massively. I could of had everything. Today I have next to nothing.

The only thing keeping me alive are my two mini dachshunds, Honey and Penny. I lose them my life is over.

Thank you for reminding me of that book. The movie's pretty interesting too. I loved both and I think many others would, too. Just read now that according to one of the Wikipedia page's sources, the ALA (American Library Association) Office for Intellectual Freedom, the book is one of the most banned and challenged books. It's things like this and the Rock and Roll Hall of Shame that make me wonder why the self-ordained arbiters of "taste", "quality", and "obscene" have their heads up their asses. Probably loved the smell of their own farts, dug a little too deep, and got their heads stuck. And yet somehow they still claim their shit doesn't stink.
I didn't know that about the bans, but that is very telling.

I took Chief's obsessive talk about the evils of "The Combine" to mean authorities, or society at large, and within their ward, where controls are exerted on people to conform, and what happens to them when they don't.

Just done a quick search on this, and many results agree with that gist, although it looks like in some cases where kids are studying this book in schools and colleges, they seem to be being taught that Chief is imagining this, as a means to discredit him and his views, and to potentially avert the kids from agreeing with such lines of thought. (Maybe that's just at more junior levels of study though - not sure. I would like to think that more senior students have much more open discussions about what 'The Combine' means)

Because Chief is not imagining it! That's the whole point and why the book is so deep, and I can understand the powers that be wanting to have it banned for such 'dangerous' ideas. Superb book. Definitely in my all time personal top 10 or probably top 5 books for me.

Last edited:
Totally agree re psytrance - can’t stand the shit generally. Only thing I can stomach is Shpongle and has to be through headphones damn loud after ketamine.
No drugs = no psytrance

You made me smile talking about enormous bog jobbies, since starting buprenorphine mine have increased in size and weight considerably. At least these days I’m eating properly, never bloated and no longer develop haemorrhoids every time I strain for a dump.

Tidy little arsehole I’ve got now.

If you think you don't like psytrance, wait until you've heard the masterpiece that is Total Trance,

With tracks so massively urgent they couldn't even spell them right:

...and with the badass artist name "One Man Game" despite being a group comprising three guys from Israel. This album will reshape your perception of what psytrance can be. It has none of the phoney spiritual overlay, instead combining riff-saturated psychedelia with the directness of techno.

Just look at the garish and totally unpretentious presentation of that Eastern Wisdom Symbol along with the Psychedelic Brain Tunnel behind it, and that classic "this stuff is important and will not dissolve into ether, bitch" rap music gold frame. There is no denying the power of Total Trance imho.

Last edited:
I try not to have any because I'd end up with a list too long to even write down. A lot of my troubles stem from trauma in my early life so I find it hard to regret things, knowing that the path I went on wasn't really guided by me. Drugs were always just a way of self-medicating. If I had to choose something, it would be drinking alcohol. I remember at school, the filth turning up to lecture us about drugs and passing round these samples in hard plastic that you obviously couldn't open. What they didn't tell us about was how dangerous alcohol is. I don't think they even mentioned it. It is advertised on TV, showing people having the time of their life. My mum got with a man when I was about 11 who was a psychopath basically and when I went to secondary school, my mum started buying me four cans of lager every evening and she'd have a bottle of wine for herself. I later found out that she also had a stash of vodka. This was for dealing with the psychopath and he had me dealing ecstasy tablets and hash by the time I was about 14. He was physically and psychologically abusive towards me and the same to my mother but she also was sexually abused and had a far worse time than me - drinking was our way of coping and I got intimately acquainted with violence from a young age, offered my first gun at 14. For me, as a recovering addict, alcohol is the drug that got me into more trouble than anything else. Heroin made me chill - it really is the go-to drug for people who have suffered trauma. Benzos are a pain but I can get on with them, even though I want to come off them. Coke was never a big deal, neither was ecstasy (pill form back in the day or MDMA). Can't stand stimulants anymore anyway. In terms of things I've done that I maybe should regret, I don't really. I had to survive. Every time I've been arrested, I had been drinking, but I've done things that would be enough to see me land serious time - the reason I got away with things was because I wasn't drinking and the things I got nicked for were stupid and I suppose I regret my stupidity in that sense. I never got caught moving drugs around or even handling guns which would've got me into serious trouble but I wasn't drinking. Booze brought out a monster in me which is all the rage and anger that I have in me from neglect, abuse, trauma etc. I am diagnosed bipolar and complex PTSD due to all of that horror and it never really leaves you. So yeah, I regret taking to drink instead of educating myself about it like I did with other drugs. Bluelight has always been a big help in that sense. But in terms of regrets, I find it hard to regret things I've done to survive when survival was basically my primary motivation. I never liked violence but it was a part of the culture and so you couldn't really escape it. Even when I've been settled in nice places, I still have that sense of vigilance and the idea that there are threats everywhere, and that was programmed into me from a young age. Drugs were a way to cope, with alcohol being the most readily available. People say "drink and drugs" but IMO, alcohol is one of the worst. It is worse than heroin. People don't see it as a drug though because they've kept it legal.

I dunno, losing my train of thought. If I was to get into the worst things I've ever done I'd be here for a while and I don't see the point - that was almost a different person, almost like I was watching it from outside. Maybe it will all hit me one day but even now, even in relative comfort I still wonder if this will be the last day that I am alive. Drugs - including alcohol - have always merely been a way to withstand that stress/horror and to get through another day.

Last edited:
Too many things to count

Blew 30k in a week on a drug binge once

Blew 250k + my job + living away + my apartment & girlfriend over 2 years of solid alcohol/drug abuse and negative behaviour patterns.

Had a head on crash at 70mph out of my mind drunk and benzod. Somehow walked out alive. Knew the other guy from school too lol, he was also fucked up. Case for that fell apart as the police never took either of us to hospital after. So no ban lol.

Recently DUI for taking a girl to score at 3am when I'd been awake for days.

Hurt people through selfish drugged up behaviour.

Struggled myself too much.

Been in the wrong place, wrong time, too many times...