• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

What is the function of the ego?

swilow said:
Though I thought buddhhists spurned drug use, by and large? From the viewpoints of 'attachment' I can undertand why; thus comments like Allan Watts "When you gett the message, hang up the phone..." One doesn't want to mistake the effects of the drug with the drug itself, if that makes sense.

probably 90% of Buddhists discourage or prohibit drug use, but people like Chögyam Trungpa used drugs to attempt to stretch the boundaries. Whether his drinking actually had anything to do with mindfullness is up in the air.

From a Buddhist point of view, all this discussion about the ego is simply more ego-building.

Changed said:
From a Buddhist point of view, all this discussion about the ego is simply more ego-building.

Interesting... that makes sense. I don't know if that's avoidable however... the ego is necessary to live this life. I think some people who use psychedelics view the ego as a bad thing... personally I think it's wonderful. It allows us to experience ourselves uniquely and enjoy this physical process of life. But I also think it's useful for the ego to be able to discuss the concept of the ego... because as I mentioned in another post, the ego is also responsible for most (all?) of the negative aspects of human culture. And understanding of the ego can help to alleviate some of those aspects (or so I would like to think).

Xorkoth said:
Interesting... that makes sense. I don't know if that's avoidable however... the ego is necessary to live this life. I think some people who use psychedelics view the ego as a bad thing... personally I think it's wonderful. It allows us to experience ourselves uniquely and enjoy this physical process of life. But I also think it's useful for the ego to be able to discuss the concept of the ego... because as I mentioned in another post, the ego is also responsible for most (all?) of the negative aspects of human culture. And understanding of the ego can help to alleviate some of those aspects (or so I would like to think).

a Buddhist would say it isn't a bad or a good thing, it is just a thing. A thing that deters us from realizing the truth, the Toa, satori, nirvana, whatever...

While it may "allow us to experience ourselves uniquely and enjoy this physical process of life," it is also the ego that keeps us clinging and craving. If you can give these things up, you are well on your way... It is this desire to be distinct/individualistic/special/unique that keeps us from realizing that we are all part of a single process.

Getting more and more interesting...

It is this desire to be distinct/individualistic/special/unique that keeps us from realizing that we are all part of a single process.
I don't think this is necessarily the case. True, in the traditionally 'bad' sense, an egoist is someone linked with agressive behaviour who will stop at nothing to get what he wants. That is not always the case. I urge anyone with in similar areas of navigation to check out Max Stirner, which I mentioned in my earlier post.

If we loose our individuality, how will we shine?

And, another thing, I believe working with the self is necessary for becoming well-balanced first ~ thus having moving forward and having the joy of also feeling direct part of a complex system of different forms of life. If you're starving in Africa is might be difficult to be saved just by admiring natura and universe, then the egoistical instict of survival plays its part. Also, if you have a talent, then its egoism in part that helps and urges you perfect it. It's egoist practices that helped the human kind to evolve it what it is, and even relationships and comradeship is usually based on a common benefit or goal. Egoism is the thing that doesn't let you give up. Etc, etc..

I don't want to really levelling everything, but it seems those splendid BBC documenteries I have been seen have affected me a lot. Lol :)
I think some people who use psychedelics view the ego as a bad thing... personally I think it's wonderful.
that's what I wanted to say in the first place :)

Changed said:
a Buddhist would say it isn't a bad or a good thing, it is just a thing. A thing that deters us from realizing the truth, the Toa, satori, nirvana, whatever...

While it may "allow us to experience ourselves uniquely and enjoy this physical process of life," it is also the ego that keeps us clinging and craving. If you can give these things up, you are well on your way... It is this desire to be distinct/individualistic/special/unique that keeps us from realizing that we are all part of a single process.

See, that is one aspect of buddhism I disagree with... I think that we were given this physical life in order to experience the joys and sorrows of existence. If we live life to be rid of the ego, we have denied ourselves this experience. I think it's important to experience the loss or submission of ego, but to try to become one... well, in death we will become one, so why spend your whole life trying to do so? That would be missing the whole point, in my opinion.

My experience with the oneness and the void have led me to believe that the whole reason for physical existence and the ego is to experience something other than the void... which is why it is so ironic when people live their lives for the afterlife. It's ironic because this life IS the point!

Buddhism doesn't work (like Christianity or the ancient Egyptians) towards some pie-in-the-sky afterlife.

With Buddhism, you are still experiencing things around you, you simnply aren't judging them or trying to hold onto them or trying to classsify them as beautiful or horrrible or good or bad; they just are.

I thought buudhism worked towards reaching nirvana and exiting the cycle of death and rebirth?

Xorkoth said:
I thought buudhism worked towards reaching nirvana and exiting the cycle of death and rebirth?

it depends which Buddhist you ask...

but some (a lot?) of people interpret the cycle of rebirth as an event that happens every instance of everyday. Thinking it terms of a river, it is always the same river, but every second it is made new.

There is also the idea of the Bodhisattva; somebody who has reached nirvana, but remains in the cycle of samsara to help others realize their awakening.

Xorkoth said:
See, that is one aspect of buddhism I disagree with... I think that we were given this physical life in order to experience the joys and sorrows of existence. If we live life to be rid of the ego, we have denied ourselves this experience. I think it's important to experience the loss or submission of ego, but to try to become one... well, in death we will become one, so why spend your whole life trying to do so? That would be missing the whole point, in my opinion.

My experience with the oneness and the void have led me to believe that the whole reason for physical existence and the ego is to experience something other than the void... which is why it is so ironic when people live their lives for the afterlife. It's ironic because this life IS the point!

AMEN! My very conviction.

Whenever I am asked, though I don't like such classifications, I call myself a Taoist. It simply fits most, if not every, conclusion I have come to about existence. Life is not a trial for something else. It just is for the sake of it.
Reading the Tao te Ching whilst tripping is pretty powerful (granted you can find concentration to read;) ).

I am printing that out and sticking it on the toilet wall. That is the Truth, right there Xorkoth. My oh my....

"My experience with the oneness and the void have led me to believe that the whole reason for physical existence and the ego is to experience something other than the void... which is why it is so ironic when people live their lives for the afterlife. It's ironic because this life IS the point!" (Xorkoth)

Agreed. Unless one believes in a karmic cycle of death and reincarnation.... afterlife then becomes redefined... though, if there is, on some level, no such thing as time, then can there even really be cause & effect at all... maybe this time is realyl all we have as we live it over and over and over again... past lives, future lives... who knows what else I am doing right now in a parellel universe... it's all holographic and mocking the inquisitive soul, is it not? In Sexus, Henry Miller wrote: "The goal of life is the living of it." Simple... ?

Yeah, my experiences have led to me doubt whether the karmic cycle described in buddhism is the way things are. I'm not so sure that we are going towards the ultimate goal of non-existence (isn't that what nirvana is? I could be wrong). My experiences have led me to believe that the reason we are here in the capacity we are is because nonexistence is so crushingly lonely.

^ 'Non' existence = no 'separate' existence = all together = no loneliness - rest easy ;)

Nirvana's for pussies - Bodhisatvas-R-Us =D

Edit: embarassing spelling mistake :eek:

Last edited:
Xorkoth said:
My experiences have led me to believe that the reason we are here in the capacity we are is because nonexistence is so crushingly lonely.

there is nothing to be lonely about if everything is interconnected (as per most Buddhist teaching)

All I'm saying is I've experienced oneness/everything and it was beautiful, and I've also been past that to the void and each time I've gone there, it's been so desperately lonely and I felt the weight of the illusion lost, the sole point of awareness in nothingness, endlessly rushing into nowhere. I'm talking about that. Sure, if we as a human die, existence is not gone. But I still think it's terribly ironic when people live their lives waiting to die, because their life is a part of the purpose of any of this (albeit an infinitely small part).

We've progressed past Buddhism and into a new psychedelia induced religion.

:D

Ismene said:
Yeah I get what you mean and I've experienced that too. But none of us lose our sense of self to the extent that we give away our valuables do we?

If we actually did experience ego-loss and lost our sense of self wouldn't we be inviting strangers into our house to have a look around and take what they wanted? After all, why would someone with true ego-loss need material possessions?

we'll for a few days after my ego-death experience i gave away more money,drugs,dvds,etc than i have in my entire life :/ Surprised all of my friends as i was quite a tight arse.

The generosity,lucidity,creativity and contentness slowly disappeared after about a week then i went back to being nearly the same person i was before but with a totally different view on life, a more isolated and objective view :/

The_Idler said:
Psychodynamic theory is almost entirely bullshit.

I love seeing skeptisism here, most trippers ive met and know are so eager for new realizations they'll believe anything (like multiple eastern religions) and then meld it all together into a rambling utterly non-sensical general view of things.

Anyhow haven't we basically established the purpose of the ego? To create plans of action concerning well...yourself as the subject.

NextLineIsMine said:
Anyhow haven't we basically established the purpose of the ego? To create plans of action concerning well...yourself as the subject.

which is a myth