• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

What is the function of the ego?

karma1485 said:
Ego is what your mind believes that you are, and what it seeks to protect. It is the false "I" behind the being that you are. It is your minds struggle for a sense of self, sense of identity.

When consuming psychedelics at high enough doses I find that rather than acting more "primitive" I find that I can escape the boundaries of my mind and come into a much less "primitive" state and pass into something of a god like frame of mind...

Thoughts are replaced with awareness and quite frequently awe. Beauty and love permeate through out my whole being. <3 I am floating in the cosmos... I am. (Ive really only experienced ego loss of this proportion from smoking DMT, though LSD and RC's have only let me peek through the doors so far)

Nice topic BRob. <3

Very well put.

I would have to say my thoughts are much more creative, abstract and expanded, while on mushrooms or during a trip on something similar, and i feel that i can find answers for everything.

Much less primative

Those without an ego tend not to reproduce...

I wish Jesus had a child. I want some of his DNA, or at least for some of it to be in the human gene pool.

Then again... maybe it would suck if a bunch of people were running around proclaiming that they were God

^^ Jesus may have had children... the Bible is unclear and some historians think he probably had a wife and a family. This is of course speculation. And also off-topic.

^Ah, but interesting....

That Echart Tolle book "A New Earth" does a great job of explaining the way the ego manifest and works. A good book if you've done lots of self-exploration; a lot of what e says is familiar sounding.

According to him, the evoutionary shift in conciousness that humans NEED, is a dissolving of egoic boundaries, through concous thought. I ike that, every other 'paradigm-shifting-prophet' simpy says the change will happen, not how to actually work towards it. This book does in a way. Recommeneded by me and OPrah. :)

swilow said:
the evoutionary shift in conciousness that humans NEED, is a dissolving of egoic boundaries

Agreed... otherwise we will all kill each other as the Earth becomes even more vastly overpopulated.

Xorkoth said:
^^ Jesus may have had children... the Bible is unclear and some historians think he probably had a wife and a family. This is of course speculation. And also off-topic.

But this is your forte Xorkoth - is it not ? ;)

Xorkoth said:
See, that is one aspect of buddhism I disagree with... I think that we were given this physical life in order to experience the joys and sorrows of existence.

I agree with you completely. I used to be 100% dedicated to the Buddhist idea of all desire, all possession, all frivolity, ultimatately leads to suffering. Then while reading the book It by Stephen King I changed my mind, that some desires are good. But, I admire rigid self-control, and I still think the Buddhist idea that desire leads to suffering makes sense and applies 99% of the time.

If we live life to be rid of the ego, we have denied ourselves this experience. I think it's important to experience the loss or submission of ego, but to try to become one... well, in death we will become one, so why spend your whole life trying to do so? That would be missing the whole point, in my opinion.

I'm not a Buddhist, but, you are correct, they would hardly spend their lives trying to achieve what happens naturally after death. they believe in reincarnation, and that the only way to escape the reincarnation cycle is reaching enlightenment in this life.

In a sense we become one with the universe in death, indeed that is what I believe. But, of course no one knows what happens to one's subjective awareness after death. A conscious experience of egolessness, of your identity becoming totality like a drop of water into the ocean, similar to the psychexp, is one possibility. The possibility I believe in is oblivion: as a student of science, I know human experience of reality is just a product of the machinery and circuitry of the brain. With death comes nothingness, oblivion, dreamless sleep, like before birth.

The raptorous, ecstatic, enormous upheaval of love and gratitude to the universe, which is the natural reaction to even a tiny peek at reality outside the veil of ego, is something very special, worth striving for. Buddhist monks who strive for this have my respect, and the rare ones who achieve it through unaided meditation have my admiration. At the same time, any monk who condemns drug use is only reflecting his own ignorance. The idea that a drug is dirty or bad is some serious bullshit that comes out of the religious teaching that all matter is dirty and bad and sinful and only spirit, AKA god, AKA pie in the sky after you die, is good. As an atheist I find most of the Buddhist doctrine laughable, of course, but also like all religions, it is correct in certain things. Its investigation of consciousness is remarkable.

Buddhist Enlightenment is definitely very different from being egoless after taking a psychedelic, though. For one thing, there are no nonhuman characters in any of the Zen monks' descriptions, like the godlike beings I've met on sage and shroom.