• Philosophy and Spirituality
    Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Threads of Note Socialize
  • P&S Moderators: Xorkoth | Madness

What is the 4th-Dimension?

^^^^^^^^ WOW!!!! Awesome post.......I completely agree w/ ur theories.........I read a book a while back called "the Seat of the Soul" by gary zukov which i got the same theory from.......Cool to see u actually had the privledge of experienceing it urself........

And how Harlequin explained the origins of the brain % theory is spot on.........Thats what i mean by that......Now......LOL

OK..........Most are wondering y i brought back a post form 3 yrs ago but it was one i started under my orig alias Hypnotix........

I thought this would be cool to bring back.........Very interesting....

Last edited:
Some of you with 'good' theories read far too much. Those of you who agree with these 'accumulated' theories are equally as brain dead as the one who simply formulates them by adding and subtracting from previous known theories.

A truly good theory is one you create totally on your own because a theory, in essence, is not fact and therefore should be your own completely personal thought.

Going by the philosophy that all thoughts/theories are totally personal is a philosophy that could ultimately shut this forum down, but since this forum recognizes the FACT that all our discussions are completely subjective we can rationally keep it open.

So what is the fourth dimension? It's this fucking forum, this discussion. Something that exists in reality without any firm hold upon the laws that govern that reality. The fourth dimension is an impossibility, a hypocrisy. Aren't your thoughts a fourth dimension? If we always question everything, no matter how much we research it, isn't it safe to assume that our thoughts are in contradiction to our reality?

So what is the fourth dimension, you ask? It's nothing and everything both combined into one multiple entity of lifeless inhabitance among the falseities of reality. Nyuk, nyuk.

Trancendance said:
psychoblast-
Are you suggesting that width, depth, and height don't actually exist in the real world and that these are just labels that we use?
If so, what data are you using to support this claim? In my understanding, scientists do understand that at least those three dimensions do exist in reality.
------------------
Trance and Dance: the enlightened path to Trancendence.

Not neccasarily true, some think our universe is a holograph of a 2 dimensional universe. A hard concept to imagine but makes alot of sense from the physics point of view. As for the 4th dimension. 4th dimension is what links what one cause to another effect which links to another cause. It's subjective but so are the other 3 dimensions.

Its all been explained very well above, but i wanna throw in my two cents:

Rather than go into a complicated explaination, i found pictures easier for me to understand the extra dimension thing (it was beyond me how strings existed in 11-dimensions). I wish i could sit you down and explain it one like my physics teacher did with me..but..

s1-coxeter.gif

A quick diagram for some visuals for the readers of above posts, (the numbers represent the number of dimensions;)). Not the way by adding extra lines, we add extra dimensions.

Heres a better pic of what a 4-D hypercube would look like
hypercube.gif

ideally (for viewing purposes) , the hypercube is a cube, inside a cube joined with lines.

like how a cube, is just a square and another square, joined with lines.

Im not sure if its been mentioned (probably has, but i missed it) but a nice analogy my high school physics teacher used is this one (i cant remeber the story, just the meat of it):

If a man was in a room, with cameras' on the four walls,ceiling and floor; if he were to venture into the "fourth dimension", *all* the cameras' would record him getting smaller and smaller until he effectively *vanished* from our view.

sorry if i messed it up, but it sounds sound to me:)

NecroTrance said:
A truly good theory is one you create totally on your own because a theory, in essence, is not fact and therefore should be your own completely personal thought.

[/B]

I couldn't disagree more. I doubt anyone has ever come up with a useful theory in a vacume; most theories incorporate previous ideas, yet provide a different perspective that can fundamentally shift our cenception of reality. And furthermore, a theory is useless unless it corresponds to something which exists outside of the mind of it's creator.

Sci-fi movie named, "The Cube" had a sequel called, "The Cube 2: Hypercube" in which all your above material was explained.

BTW, theories don't incorporate previous ideas...Experiments do. To create a theory is to have an epiphany which you can then support with known facts. Then it becomes a theory. If you then experiment with this theory it may eventually become a scientific law which is a fundamental truth. However, if you believe theory creation comes by picking apart other theories, you're wrong because that's nothing more than plaigerism(sp?). Grow a fucking brain.

NecroTrance said:
Sci-fi movie named, "The Cube" had a sequel called, "The Cube 2: Hypercube" in which all your above material was explained.

BTW, theories don't incorporate previous ideas...Experiments do. To create a theory is to have an epiphany which you can then support with known facts. Then it becomes a theory. If you then experiment with this theory it may eventually become a scientific law which is a fundamental truth. However, if you believe theory creation comes by picking apart other theories, you're wrong because that's nothing more than plaigerism(sp?). Grow a fucking brain.

OK,never saw it..but it seems i should:)

As for the other part, its not "plagiarism", its modification, simple analogy: when a DJ remixes a song/track to add their own personal take on it? is that plagiarism? of course not.

Same thing, Newton was using a 1st principles (i wont get into the nuts and bolts of it, its just a math formula for calculating a tangent) appraoch to differentiation, but he was skipping the middle part of the equation, however, he was only right some of the time (the other times he was close and it didnt really matter) then some french mathmatitians came along revised the theory and came up with the more accurate version that gets taught in high schools.

And telling someone to "Grow a fucking brain." wont take in here if you want people to take you seriously:\

Chopper_4: time is only a valid answer when there are 3 spacial dimensions, when there are 4 spacial dimensions, time is the 5th etc..

Yes, the concept of dimension is a purely mathematical one.

The notion of a 4th dimension is entirely plausible, if hard to put in words, or even fathom.

It all comes down to perception:

Back before creatures had ears, was there sound? Of course there was! You may request me to prove this, to which I counter, DISPROVE IT.....

Now, because creatures did not have ears, they could not "hear".....The sound waves were still there though.

Think of it this way, if you go blind, is there still color? Do things still have an appearance? Of course they do, if you could restore your eyes, then you would be able to once again perceive things visually.

Now, regarding the 4th dimension, what ever it may be, even though it may not be directly definable or observable, does not negate its existence.

Mathematically, simply take a cubed function and integrate......

ie. take a 2d function, like a circle. After integration,you can end up with a sphere. Integrating the sphere you get a....a.....well it certainly isnt easy to draw :)

Most commonly, ppl say that time is the 4th dimension, but you can have 3d functions in math, that include time...... such as vector valued functions ie <sin(t),cos(t),t>

NecroTrance said:

A theory is a body of hypotheses that fit together to explain what is already known and predict accurately the unknown. They don't call things scientific laws anymore as the scientific method is self correcting and constantly under revision.

When you do scientific research you actually do use previous research to formulate your alternate hypotheses. If you had any sort of scientific education you would already know that, and perhaps would be a little less hostile to others (hopefully).

In science, a law is typically a specific observed relationship between quantities. For example, Kepler first law is that the planets move in ellipses with the sun at one focus. The term "law" has been has been out of fashion for about a century... it's considered kind of pretentious. Nowadays we usually just call new observed relationships "observed relationships."

A law is different from a theory, which is usually used to mean a set of hypothesis about how the world works. A good theory will explain and predict many facts, often including some laws / observed relationships. For example Newton's theory of gravity explained Kepler's laws -- you can show that Newton's gravitational force would cause planets to move in the way Kepler described.

building on what others have been talking about regarding the fourth dimension and peoples awareness of it, current unexplained phenomenon have been attributed by some scientists to an unexplained awareness and interaction by humans to a "fourth" dimension if thats what you want to call it. with regard to the idea of time being the fourth dimension (using terms that seem to have been agreed upon in the preceding posts) the way someone explained it as a sort of tapestry which incorporates all our perceptions of time (that being past, present, and future) seems to fit in with many theories of the nature of time in the "4th dimension". The idea of the existence of time that is not concretely linear allows for the theory of alternate realities, as well as what we refer to as the past and the future existing just as much as the present all in the same moment. Have you ever made a decision that affects your own percieved reality and wonder what would have happened had you acted differently? The theory is that the different events that would have occurred actually do occur, but instead of on your own plane of reality on a different plane that exist parallel to this one, i believe it is said that the next adjacent reality lies about a millimeter above or below the one we exist in in actual space time, and that it contains not only this moment that we as humans are percieving as the present, but it encompasses all of the past and future in that same moment, making time as it exists in the fourth dimension drastically different than we as humans percieve it.

The existance of a universal existance of time (past present and future of this and all other existing realities) and the ability of a human being to percieve this 4th dimension (as said above we are referring to this theory of the nature of time as the 4th dimension) would result in phenomenon similar to purpoted clairvoyance and psychic ability. If someone could in fact observe time from the 4th dimension perspective they would be able to see what may happen in the future as well as what has happened in the past. Assuming all this 4th dimension scientific theory to be true, precognitive experiences by humans would not be so radical an idea. Nor would it be so insane to believe that science could come up with a way to transport matter as it exists in our reality across space time and thus make time travel possible.

I saw a show on tv in which a study was being done to test human intuition and precognitive abilities. A subject was shown a series of peaceful images each for a few seconds, and throughout the peaceful images a violent image was shown at random times. The subjects' blood pressure and heart rate, etc, were measured in reaction to the images. When a violent image was shown these vital signs were elevated in response to the disturbing image. The remarkable thing was that the elevation in these vital signs would occur BEFORE the violent image was shown, in anticipation of it, even though the subject had no way of knowing when a violent image might appear.

Another study was done on a colony of honey-bees to study the hive mind. A food source was introduced into the colony and was moved to a new random location every day. After a time, there would be bees waiting for the food source in the location it was to be placed hours before it was moved. obviously the bees had no way of finding out where the researchers intended to place the food source.

There is alot of legitimate study in the area of the superphysical world as well as mans perception of it, and i think it is one of the most fascinating things to learn about. I cant say i know any of the physics which supports the conclusions drawn, but the conclusions they do draw do make sense even if one hasnt seen the proof in numbers. However, knowing that there does exist mathematical proof or at least support to these claims makes them even more interesting and exciting.

On a final note, seeing that there has been talk about psychedelic drugs enhancing one awareness to a sort of hyperconciousness in which one can percieve things they normally would not be able to, I have a story regarding this.

I one time accidentally swallowed about two thirds of a vial of acid, and i completely flipped out. I remember seeing and understanding everything in terms of dualism, and i got the strange feeling that time had ceased to exist. Then to my horror all the clocks started to run backwards, as if time had reversed itself. I literally felt like i was in another world, like i was seeing everything from a perch several feet above reality. Im not trying to say that Im drawing any conclusions, i just found it incredible when afterwards i read about theories like the fourth dimension as well as dualism, as i had experienced understanding of these concepts but had never known anything about them previously. ok im tired of writing i need a cigarette.

I'm sure those in tact with science are aware of it being time. I was actually just scanning this thread to make sure someone said it.

Apparently in the 17th dimension spheres may be stacked perfectly. Trying to imagine that gives me a headache. Just thought I'd throw that out there.

I think the 4th Dimension is either Time or somthing we can't see, like somthing that can be hidden.. like maybe we could use the 4th Dimension to hide things or bend light to time travle.. or maybe to slow time.. who knows....

our mind is the forth dimension.we all have a different mind which percieves different timing which is why everything is random.time is nothing without matter and matter is nothing without time(i think i started a discussion about this a while back but cant remember how long)

anyways our mind prcieves timing and matter and can control to its liking when to do things and with what to do them(time and matter)

i guess u could say that there isnt any time without a mind to percieve it therefore,time isnt the forth demension,our mind is the forth dimension.

its so simple so dont go complicating it,something us humans have a bad tendency to do much to often.

but yea im dont its 2 in the morning maybe il continue tomoro since i really dont wanna think much right now.

_high_life_ said:
our mind is the forth dimension.we all have a different mind which percieves different timing which is why everything is random.time is nothing without matter and matter is nothing without time(i think i started a discussion about this a while back but cant remember how long)

anyways our mind prcieves timing and matter and can control to its liking when to do things and with what to do them(time and matter)

i guess u could say that there isnt any time without a mind to percieve it therefore,time isnt the forth demension,our mind is the forth dimension.

its so simple so dont go complicating it,something us humans have a bad tendency to do much to often.

but yea im dont its 2 in the morning maybe il continue tomoro since i really dont wanna think much right now.

Well would the earth still rotate if no humans were left on earth to perceive it? Would there still be a winter and summer?

I always thought....... Time = Speed x Velocity

Therefore anything that moves has time...........So for time to be noneexistant or continuous everything would have to instantaneous and exist everywhere.........

Summer and Winter would be happening all over the planet.......