• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

What is a good taper to get off 25mg methadone

Hey,

I think supplements take a while to begin working, so I wouldn't expect instant results. I've been taking a Multivitamin with Iron, Magnesium and Vitamin C for last 5 days or so.

Hi GreenDark- I think you're right about it taking time for new supplements to really take hold. I've been taken a "Centrum" generic for years, but I've still tested anemic (low iron?) for years - likely from my diet. If you just started taking all of these, you should feel better more often as time goes forward.
With regard to insomnia, I'd rather have RLS than no sleep. I'm not letting it keep me down though as there's stuff I really want to get done today. Maybe later on though :)

Thanks for posting GreenDark,
Dale

Joke of the Day here:
[h=3]What do you call two monkeys that share an Amazon account? (easy answer: Prime Mates) Ha ha[/h]This what happens when I don't get enough sleep!
Dale

I'd rather have RLS than no sleep

No way, lol. I can't stand RLS. I think it's the worst symptom I've experienced through WD's. The thought of ever having to go through 6 days of RLS again terrifies me. If someone would have offered to remove my arm on one of those nights, I might just have accepted.

It's today again...

Well, I skipped taking that new drug for RLS (Ropinirol) last night. I had restless leg syndrome (expected it) but I feel better and my blood pressure went way back down to the normal range. It had been scary high since I started that drug. Still no sleep tonight but maybe later.

It is great to be on the tail end of withdrawing from methadone. I've started totally forgetting those times when I'd think "oh - it's time to take a pill." That feels very freeing to me. No more hour+ waits in the pain (in-the-ass) clinic - no more urine tests required right after they just let me use the bathroom. And no more monthly bills for those things. I don't miss any of it.

I've been working in my yard a whole lot more lately. I enjoy doing that. There's a lot to do after ignoring it for so long.

For me, and many others here, we go day by day - hoping the next is better until it finally is. There are many hero's on this site that help us reach that goal - thank you to every one of them.

Dale

It's today again...

Well, I skipped taking that new drug for RLS (Ropinirol) last night. I had restless leg syndrome (expected it) but I feel better and my blood pressure went way back down to the normal range. It had been scary high since I started that drug. Still no sleep tonight but maybe later.

It is great to be on the tail end of withdrawing from methadone. I've started totally forgetting those times when I'd think "oh - it's time to take a pill." That feels very freeing to me. No more hour+ waits in the pain (in-the-ass) clinic - no more urine tests required right after they just let me use the bathroom. And no more monthly bills for those things. I don't miss any of it.

I've been working in my yard a whole lot more lately. I enjoy doing that. There's a lot to do after ignoring it for so long.

For me, and many others here, we go day by day - hoping the next is better until it finally is. There are many hero's on this site that help us reach that goal - thank you to every one of them.

Dale

It is so inspyering to read your journy Dale:) I am so happy for you:)
just wanted to let you know.
looking forward to your next update❤️

Hey,

Freedom from medication and drugs feels wonderful. And like you said, no more monthly bills. It's early days (for both of us) but the positives of living a sober life are beginning to illuminate themselves, with the freedom to do whatever you want and whenever you want being the most satisfying. Keep going Dale, 25 days is a tremendous achievement!

It's been a busy day for a slow fart like me. I got stuff done I'd been thinking about doing for a few years (I got dressed for one thing :)

I'm still have times when I feel really cold, mostly during the night time and early mornings. If I stay busy, I don't notice it. I don't have anymore of those "exorcising the demons" withdrawals (I know you all know what I mean). That left a memory I will never forget.

My last thought for the night: When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep - not screaming, like the passengers in his car.

Dale

I messed up after 8 days and smoked some H again. I'm not doing too good. I have 24 Dihydrocodeine 30mg and was thinking about taking 3 in the morning and 3 late afternoon and cutting down by one tablet per day until I'm clean. I know it's still going to be difficult but with the Dihydrocodeine I'm hoping I can take the edge off for the first few days. Does anyone have any ideas? I could do with some advice because I'm not doing great at the moment. I was thinking about doing it differently but I don't know how my kids would cope. I think after a couple of months they'll start forgetting about me. Even doing that I would have to do it away from everyone because I don't want to traumatize whoever finds me. I know it's a last resort and I'm not even near that point yet. Any tips on the Dihydrocodeine would be greatly appreciated. I was thinking about using Loperamide with Zantac combined with the Dihydrocodeine and tapering off everything within a week.

Day 26: I have zero temptation to take methadone - none at all. That feels great. I'm not done with the withdrawals yet though as I still have the cold all over feeling. It's not that burning cold sensation I had - but probably more like a mild sunburn feeling. I wonder how long it will take for that to get better. I'm going to find out sooner or later.
I slept 7 hours last night~ I'm getting so good at sleeping that I can do it with my eyes closed :)
Dale

I messed up after 8 days and smoked some H again. I'm not doing too good.
Billy123- Hi, thanks for your post. Sounds like it's kind of tough for you right now. When someone uses again, it's like groundhog day with withdrawals starting all over again. You've been through it (withdrawals) before I'm assuming, so while you are dreading it, you know that you can get through them. For the pills you have now, do the math and try to make them last six days. I've read that Imodium won't get you high but it can prolong the withdrawals if you take a lot of it. Use it for the runs though as directed on the bottle.
Suicide... You can not do that - you'll be famous for a few days, but you'll leave a huge sadness in the world. Your kids will be affected for the rest of their lives. They will have to live with "my dad commited suicide" and they will wonder if it was their fault somehow. They will grow up without your friendship and love - without you there to warn them about drugs.

You can get through the withdrawals. Give yourself credit for being smart enough to know you have a drug problem, as some folks never get that. You are worth saving buddy.

I strongly suggest that you start a new thread (to do that, go back to sober living where all the threads like this one are listed, then go to the bottom of the page where you'll see the button to start the thread.). If I were you, I'd copy what you wrote on my thread, then post it all in your new thread. You'll get far more help from all the terrific people in the forum there because there's so much more traffic there.

Please don't take your own life. Promise yourself (and me) that you won't do that. The bravest thing you can do right now is to stay alive and fight for your life. You know, even in the darkest moments, you can still see the stars.

I wish you the best,
Dale

Last edited:
Thank you Dale. I'm starting tomorrow and trying my best. Thanks for your advice and I'll try making a new thread now.

Today I started out feeling that familiar cold and achy feeling. It's not as bad as before, but it gets so old feeling it so often. I figured it's just another day in the slow methadone withdrawal process. I plodded through the day doing my best to get things done while occasionally checking the temperature to see if it was below freezing yet (it's 78 degrees F). At times, I've felt so cold.

I figured maybe tomorrow might be better than today (maybe), but then around 6pm while I was sitting in the living room with the TV on, I became aware that I felt no withdrawals at all. I felt good inside and out - totally normal, totally serene inside. I thought to myself "OMG, this must be what normal feels like!" Up to now, I had this idea that because of 20 years of daily opioids, my brain might not ever be able to find balance again. Oh man, what an awakening this is.

I am not done though - I expect I'm still going to have spells where I feel withdrawals creeping back in and out, but I can deal with it. Feeling good will happen more and more often.

If you are reading my posts in the future, I hope that they convince you that it really is possible to get clean of methadone (or any drug) and never look back if you really want to. For me, the key was that I really wanted free of this drug. When I started, I had no idea that BlueLight existed. It was dumb luck that I found it, but it was also good luck for me. I believe this forum was created so that we could help each other; to be a community so that we don't have to face this all alone.

Dale

Last edited:
I think the body's temperature-regulating system is one of the last things to adjust to a life without opiates. I was absolutely freezing yesterday, even though I was helping my dad with some fencing in his back yard. I was digging post holes and moving dirt and I had to wear a big jacket and a hat even though the sun was shining and it was very warm temperature wise. I've always hated the cold too so this physical symptom really gets me down.

The feeling of no WD's for a time, feels great doesn't it? Almost human again and even if it doesn't last all day, you know normality is getting closer and closer.

I think the body's temperature-regulating system is one of the last things to adjust to a life without opiates.

GreenDark- I think you are right, and insomnia is the second to the last for me. I had insomnia last night - all night. I feel tired and crummy because of it. There's always tomorrow though and I should sleep tonight since I didn't sleep during the day. I'm keeping it short tonight here on bluelight as I'm not in a positive mood, but I bet I will be tomorrow and I'll be back.

Dale

It's Friday :) and Day 28 for me. I slept pretty good last night - never woke up once (rare for me). I feel so much better when I sleep good. It's going to be a good day. As far as withdrawals go, I still feel cold (even the tops of my feet feel cold?) - like a mild sunburn feels on a cold morning. It's not that bad though. I also have insomnia issues, but other than insomnia and feeling cold, I'm feeling pretty good.

Family…Friends….Fun…Fridays. All good things start with “F”...
Dale

Last edited:
Late Friday- Today seemed like it was full of withdrawal symptoms - sneezing, runny nose and chills. Withdrawals goes in cycles and I look forward to a better tomorrow. Meanwhile I'm hitting the sack early to see if I can sleep it off.
Dale

Sorry but I couldn't do it. After 24 hours I started crying and puking. I ended up doing an O/D but got caught by my mom when she heard the noise of me falling. They released me from A&E this morning but my mom wants me out of the house. It was a nice O/D and I can still feel it. I'm not used to injecting and I recommend people who aren't in my position keep away from it. I'm begging anyone that's even contemplating going down that road to think again. For me it was supposed to be a one off but if you want to do it as a recreational thing you will regret it. I'm still not thinking straight but I thought that if I ever had an overdose that I would get my stomach pumped. All they did is they gave me a shot of Naloxone (something like that) on my way to the hospital in the ambulance and I woke up. My head started hurting straight away. At the hospital after checking my vitals I spoke to a counselor and that's it! I'll write again tomorrow once I'm thinking straight because I don't want to say something wrong. But I feel at peace today.

Day 29- I slept good last night (second day in a row). I feel pretty good this morning. I sure like the "Ups" better than the "Downs." I live in an older house and it always needs something done to it, and today I feel like getting some of that done.
As far as withdrawals go, I feel the skin sensations, which are about 5% of what they were in the beginning. I have no other symptoms of withdrawal. No cravings at all. It's time for breakfast (oatmeal again) and a good day.

"Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there"
Dale

Day 29- Evening: I started feeling kind of run down and got more intense skin sensations as the day went on. Who knows why that changes? I just decided to take the day off from working around the house. Maybe tomorrow.

Dale